243 Bullet for Fur..?..

shooters

I don't really have the $$$ right now to buy .223 or 22-250 so the 243 will have to do. Had one of the best days ever calling the other morning. 8 dogs in, 6 killed. The 95g Nosler Hunting BTip anchored every dog but at a price. Soft ball size hole on al of them followed by 4 or 5 fragmented holes near by. I realize a 243 is not a Fur friendly caliber....but is there a bullet that will have less damage other than a solid? Maybe a GMX, TTSX, ???? Any experience or advice I would appreciate. Thanks

morning, try the 85gr. sierra BTHP. wiil blow up inside. barnes TSX bullet will

do the job. what velocity r u obtaining?? how far r ur shots??lightbulb:)gun)

If u reload u can.try the 55gr bullets, the 95 ballistic tip your using is designed for medical size game, your either going to have to go light and fast or heavy and slow, and even then it will be a crap shoot, frontals are the best bullet placement if you can get those dogs to

morning, try the 85gr. sierra BTHP. wiil blow up inside. barnes TSX bullet will

do the job. what velocity r u obtaining?? how far r ur shots??lightbulb:)gun)

Not sure on velocity. Don't have a crono at the time. Shots range from 150 to 800. I just load a bullet and shoot our range out to 800 and build chart off moa values to what each range requires. Prob should invest in a chronograph

Shooters,

Our 80g Hammer Hunter will go through the dog. Depending on the velocity of impact you should see caliber hole in and up to quarter size out. We have 243 data that we could forward to you if you need.

Steve

Shooters,

Our 80g Hammer Hunter will go through the dog. Depending on the velocity of impact you should see caliber hole in and up to quarter size out. We have 243 data that we could forward to you if you need.

Steve

I called. I'll call back again. Very interested

Here is a couple loads for the 80g Hammer Hunter in .243.

This one we loaded a bunch to send to family in Missouri for their deer season. A generic low pressure load for any rifle.

Hornady brass, Fed 215M, Hybrid 100V @ 42g, 2.635" COAL

This one we loaded for our 10" twist Ruger. Full power load start lower.

Win case, Fed 215M, IMR4451 @ 44.5g, 2.69" COAL, vel @ 3300fps

Steve

85gr Sierra is tough to beat. Lots of energy without the blow up on off side. Generally a quarter sized exit. I wouldn't use a solid bullet like the Barnes unless you like runners and dogs that have lots of .243 sized holes in them.

I used the 60hp with for awhile when it did exit it was messy. Frontal shots were great dogs usually didn't twitch after the shot. Tried the 70 blitzking at 34-3500 same thing. The 75vmax made bigger holes and the 87 vmax @3320 seems to come out no matter where I shoot them.
The 55-65gn bullets really fast can be very good until they are not:D. The plus is you get no runners with lethal shots. In my case I want them dead first if I get a pelt great but the farmers don't care.
The good news is you can really push them hard enough to not exit most of the time. 3800-4000 is achievable for the 55-60 and 3600 for the 70's can be had accuracy for me there has been elusive so far. However at 3450ish I have only about an inch and a half difference from 1 to 200 yds.
I shoot the 87's over the ponds and lakes because of the wind and will shoot the 70-75's in the smaller fields
You can also load 55- 70's down to 23-2500 with 17-22 gns of blue dot or fiddle with other shotgun powders. I shot alot of crows this way Clays or red dot with 17 grns is another. It will sound like a 22 rimfire and should be for close calling type shots

I have used the 85gr Sierra BTHP Gameking and they did anything BUT blow up inside. One dog I shot at about 250yds, I shot high, nicked the spine. The dog flopped on the ground and when he stopped moving enough for a follow up shot it anchored him. That shot entered the left front paw, the center of the sternum, and exited the spine, leaving a 3" hole.

That was typical performance from that bullet for me and my 243.

I would suggest using either a true varmint bullet in 70gr or under, or something like the Barnes Varmint grenades.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.