Fur saver Bullets for 5.56

I think the 70 gr TSX would be a great deer and caribou bullet. And work Great on wolves !
I've seen a whitetail doe shot at 70 yards with the 70 gr TSX out of a 16 inch AR. It was a fairly good sized deer. It broke the front shoulder, obliterated the lungs and exited. Worked real nice. She only ran 30 yards.

I got a 40gr vmax Sub MOA going 3450fps out of my 16" barrel.

This is 40 gr VMax from 1/12 twist from 221 FB at 3480 fps
These are entrances of course no exits on broadside bobcats shot at 40 and 60 yards and why I quit using them.

bb

Now I Shot a bunch of critters with that same bullet with no issues at all.

This is 40 gr VMax from 1/12 twist from 221 FB at 3480 fps.

Now I shot a bunch of critters with that same bullet with no issues at all.

You mean you shot larger critters with that bullet - say coyotes - with no fur damage? Or critters at a lower MV with no fur damage? Trying to understand...

All I was trying to convey was that I has shot this same load over a period of time at coyotes and bobcats and raccoons and it killed them all just fine with no splashes or huge entrance wounds. So point was it worked until it didn't and once it happened 3 times I quit using 40 gr VMax On predators. The third was a complete pass thru on another bobcat which took a while to find in thick brush but that didn't bother me as much as the splashes.

Thanks for clarification. Good to know. Sounds like that bullet may need shot at lesser MVs for best effect on lighter critters.

I think that is true with all V-max bullets. Looking back at the coyotes i have killed this winter, they have all been with 53gr V-max. I love that bullet with its high BC.

However the closest coyote I shot at 30 yards in the chest had huge "splash". didn't think of anything of it at the time. some where in the 70-80 yards had decent holes in them. But coyotes over 100 yards, and even out to 200 yards had less damage. Last one was at about 150 yards, and hit it in the shoulder, and was only a few drops of blood. No exit and it was laying 10 feet from where i shot it.

My 223 load averages 3290 fps with the 53v-max bullet.

I will be using the 55SP in my 22-250 as I think with a V-max at 3600 or faster would cause to much pelt damage. (unless they are pretty far away). I like the idea of faster 22-250 so i don't have to know the exact range and worry about the drop.

I think that is true with all V-max bullets. Looking back at the coyotes i have killed this winter, they have all been with 53gr V-max. I love that bullet with its high BC.

However the closest coyote I shot at 30 yards in the chest had huge "splash". didn't think of anything of it at the time. some where in the 70-80 yards had decent holes in them. But coyotes over 100 yards, and even out to 200 yards had less damage. Last one was at about 150 yards, and hit it in the shoulder, and was only a few drops of blood. No exit and it was laying 10 feet from where i shot it.

My 223 load averages 3290 fps with the 53v-max bullet.

I will be using the 55SP in my 22-250 as I think with a V-max at 3600 or faster would cause to much pelt damage. (unless they are pretty far away). I like the idea of faster 22-250 so i don't have to know the exact range and worry about the drop.

You may want to try the 55 grain SPSX, they expand far faster than the SP. Same bullet shape and B.C. just more frangible. Rarely get exit wounds.

I will try the spsx, as I didn't know they existed until this thread. I have couple hundred 55sp's i need to use up, but I'd assume if i get a good accurate load for the 55sp's then the 55 spsx would be the same.

Did they start exploding? As my 22-250 is a 1:8 twist so i always worry about thin jacket bullets. However, the 53gr vmax at 3800fps worked well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.