Best laser range finder good to 1000 yards on game

Swarovski is by far the best for under $1K. Stop looking and order one, they are that good I assure you!!! I get consistant ranging on grassy hillsides out to 1600 yards and in low light conditions out to 2000 yards.

Kirby Allen(50)

Another vote for Swaro. Have one. Love it.

In addition to the laser the field of view and glass are very good. The belt mount is also very usefull.

David

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> What is the best bang for the buck range finder that will laz on game to 1000 yards.

[/ QUOTE ] </font> </font>
Every response totally missed the question. Bang for the buck, only needs to laz out to 1K yards. Swaro is a looser here. My Bushnell Elite was only $350 and it lazes out to 1500 yards. I liked it so much I got one for my nephew/brothers elk hunt – a new Bushnell that only lazes to 1300 yards, but our own Don ([email protected]) sold that one to me for $299. I'll put it on eBay after their hunt and sell it fast for $250.

In 5 years that swaro will go for $250 on eBay, the latest Swaro will laze to 3,500 yards, have better optics and be cheaper than the current technology. Rangefinders (RF) are unlike guns and like computers, they get better/cheaper every year.

Unless you're Kirby, GG or some of the other guys who will need 1,300+ yard ranging - or have unlimited budgets like Kirby and GG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif - my advice is get the cheapest you can live with. It's not like a gun or even scope you will be keeping for 30 years then passing on to be used another 50 years (then passed on) - RF should be considered disposable expenses.

b1g b0re,

You make a lot of good points, from my perspective the Swaro is not bad value, it serves me both as a laser and an optic. UK prices (last time I saw were about 350GBP for the Leica 1200 scan and 529GBP for the Swaro). Personly I can not live with the Leica LRF as an optic but can the Swaro so it saves me instead of a pair of binos, your milage may vary.

I regard the Swaro as a disposable, in a few years it will be upgraded no doubt and maybe for cheaper or at least better for the same price. The same thoughts you have against the Swaro I have about the Leica Geovid which I would have liked but did not buy for the reasons you list. I guess it is a matter of where each person wants to draw the line in respect to price and what they want.

In terms of performance I have compared the Swaro against a Leica 1200 and Bushnell 1000. The Swaro ranged targets (paper black ones) at 1km where the other two did not.

David.

Re: Best laser range finder good to 1000 yards on game-

At around $800-900 for the Swaro's it's out of my range price-wise. Does anyone have experience with the new Bushnell 1500? There was a thread a couple months back, but anyone else care to comment or share on the Bushnell with respect to ranging game out to 1000? Also, is it worth getting the one with the angle indicator (made for golfers) or stick with the hunting version?

Thanks,

Matt

You also make good points. The Bushnell elite is not a substitute for good binoculars.
Another point in the Bushnell 1500 elites favor - has the bullseye and brush features that allow you to range on some targets that the Swarovski won't, such as fence posts, telephone poles, singposts, etc.

Comparing the Bushnell 1000 to the Swar is not really a fair test - the Bushnell 1K is at it's ragged edge of 1K. Don found that more than half of the Bushnell 1500 would only range to 1300 yards or so (he either returned them to the factory or discounted them).
Compare my Bushnell 1500 to the Swaro at 1,000 yards - I belive it will equal or better the Swaro at those ranges.
529 GPM = $965 -
Without a doubt it has better optics and will range farther. For those of us with limited funds, it comes down to priorities.

Marine sniper:

If your budget can stand the hit it will take to purchase the Swaro then I'd say go for the Swarovski. You won't be sorry. You'll be glad you did every time you press the button. Let me explain.

You say range on game to 1000 yards. To me this means it has to be able to range on any and all big game, under all conditions, to 1000 yards. I have compared the Leica 1200, and others, side by side with my Swarovski and there are a lot of conditions where the Leica will not get to 1000 yards but the Swaro will. Also, I find that under similar conditions, the Swaro will easily out-range the Leica every time. I consider the Leica to be next best to the Swaro in rangefinders but there are just times when the Leica, or similar or lesser units, just can't cut it.

In talking to Bushnell about their Elite they would only say it would range a deer to 500 yards and not guarantee, in any way, it would range a deer beyond that. They will say it will range "reflective" objects farther, but it's been a long time since I saw a "reflective" deer or elk. I'm sure it'll range a deer beyond 500 yards, but just how far beyond that is the question.

All rangefinders have conditions that make them less than ideal and cause them to range far short of their normal, ideal condition, maximum range.

Remember you don't get to pick the conditions when you are hunting and if things are less than favorable and you have cut corners and purchased a cheaper rangefinder and that big buck or bull is out there at 900 to 1200 yards and you try to range him with your cheaper unit and it doesn't work, you will wish you had spent the extra money.

Yes they can be considered expendable and disposable if you want to look at it like that, but I figure that if I'm going to spend $6,000 or $7,000 on a rifle then I can spend $850 on a quality range finder that I know will work when the chips are down and mother nature has decided to make conditions less than ideal for ranging.

For me, the best bang for my buck is a rangefinder that will range game at the ranges I need it to under all conditions and that is the Swaro. A lot of people will disagree, saying they're too expensive but cost is relative.

Spend thousands of dollars on equipment, travel, lodging, meals, etc. for the hunt you have been planning for a long time. Then have it spoiled for the lack of spending an additional $400 or $500 and you will regret it, I guarantee it.

I agree that rangefinders will get better and better and soon the capabilities of the current Swaro will be far surpassed, but I use it now, not 5 years from now. For me, it's great to have a rangefinder that can function at all ranges my equipment is capable of shooting at.

If you have a gun that is capable of 1000 yards, or farther, don't get stuck with a rangefinder that can't match the capabilities of your gun, under all conditions. It'll be like not even having a rangefinder when the chips are down and you need to make the shot. The Swaro isn't on the ragged edge at 1000 yards, it's just cruising. I've ranged deer to over 1500 yards and elk to well over 1900 yards with my Swarovski.

Unfortunately Kirby is trying to make the Swaro and it's capabilities obsolete so I would imagine that something is going to have to either supplement the Swaro, Wilde etc., or replace it very shortly.

These are just my opinions, thoughts and what I have observed in the field. You need to make your decision based on what you can afford and what you need to match your equipment and your capabilities. Whatever you choose I know you'll use your rangefinder a lot, I know I do. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've had good luck with my Leica 900. I have had readings past 1000yds when antelope hunting...off of the animals and/or the ground they were standing on--lazed 3-5 times to check for accuracy/consistency-same reading everytime within 2-5 yds. I'm impressed with the Leica to say the least.

My comment was directed at the part of the question that pertained to the ranging game animals at 1K.

I have been there done that with the Leica 1200 and used it for years and really respeect that ranging tool. That said, when I started getting the AMs running, I quickly found their range potential for accurate first shot placement outpaced the Leica 1200 by a fair margin.

In one instance which I reported on here was on my Mouflon ram hunt this spring to test the 270 AM. The ram I wanted to harvest was at a relatively long range for me. Problem was it was out in an open meadow surounded by 3 ft tall sage brush.

I ranges the ram dozens of times and got two readings, 923 and 925 yards so I took that for the trueth. At the shot the ram dropped in his tracks but only because my shot had landed high and struck the ram in the horn and knocked him cold.

The reason, because those two readings I got were off the sage brush line behind the ram and not off the ram himself which was at roughly 860 yards. The bullet was exactly where it should have been on relationship to my drop chart, only problem was I was depending on a erronious range reading. My fault, not the Leica, I should have never taken the shot with only getting two readings with a couple dozen laser fires.

Needless to say the ram came to and after a bit of work finding him again in the herd the Leica got several consistant 610 yard readings and it was over as soon as the trigger broke.

Point is, until you get in a situation where there is a world class animal or simply an animal you want to harvest at an unknown range and the ranging tool you are using is not providing an accurate range measurement, this may not seem like a big enough deal to spend an extra $350 on a Swarovski rangefinder.

But when it happens and you have a rifle that is fully capable of making the shot and you know you are up to the challange as well, there is nothing worst then passing on a shot because of inadiquate ranging equipment.

If you want a rangefinder to range a game animal out to 1000 yards, consistantly in all conditions, the Swar is the only option on the market right now.

I just ordered in two 1500 elites for customers. In bright sunlight they were good for 850 yards and that was it. That was on buildings. Comparitively, the Swarovski was ranging round hay bails out to 1350 yards that same day.

Take it for what you will. But for my money I would rather spend the extra cash and never give my rangefinding gear a second thought.

I assure you there is nothing more frustrating then not knowing how far that animal is away from you when you know you can easily make the shot presented to you.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

SS7mm,

Now you've gone and done it......... pushed me right over the edge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gifI just ordered my Swarovski LSR , used all 230 of my Cabelas dollars/ points ( what ? doesn't everybody have that much or more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Best you don't post your address , my wife may see it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Really looking forward to using it , will post my experience . thanks to all of you , I have been sitting on the pot for literally months now , just could'nt / would'nt decide . Thing is , it dawned on me reading this thread , in two years or less I will be setting my sight on the next wonder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.