SWAROVSKI OPTIK Laser Guide 8x30 Range Finder Problems

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by woolecox, Nov 12, 2011.

1. woolecox

woolecox Well-Known Member

The problem I am having with this range finder is that when ranging (at any range) the circle and the range number gets very dim and is almost unusable. It's like the battery is dead but even after replacing with a fresh battery, the display is dim and fades in and out.

Seems to be right on as far as ranging goes but is very difficult to use, especially in bright sunlight. Anyone ever heard of this or had the same problem? I mean this thing cost a $G note! you would think it would be perfect.

Just thought I would throw it out here before contacting the company. I can't send it off until after hunting season anyway.

Thanks

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Yep, the lighting in those things suck. I have one and you have to move your head around to get the right clarity on the numbers. I think they should use red or black, but it is what it is.

Tank

3. Rymart

Rymart Well-Known Member

Mine has problems with the battery moving in the compartment until it is not firmly in contact with the leads. Once I open the battery door and firmly seat the battery, it works fine for me. Having to do that while/before trying to take a shot at once-in-a-lifetime deer was less than enjoyable.

4. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

Send it back to swarovski. I sent mine back because it was reading slow and now it works great.Took 6 weeks to get it back.

5. Jim5351

Jim5351 Active Member

I used a friends Swaro last year to compare to my Leica 900 and a buddies
    new Leica 1200 over wheat fields as I was wanting to upgrade. It ranged great, just couldn't see the numbers. Went with a new Leice 1600 for that reason.

6. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

Mine appears to fade but it is my eye position. Move it a bit and it is plenty bright even on the brightest days.

7. ToKeepAndBear

ToKeepAndBear Well-Known Member

Agree with above, move your head slightly and the number will jump out at you. I am used to doing this now and do not have a problem.

8. woolecox

woolecox Well-Known Member

I will try it! Looks like they all do it. It's seems almost like the laser is using all the power when you press the button.

9. RDM416

RDM416 Well-Known Member

All the swaros are like that. You have to have your eye lined up in exactly the right place. You will learn to find the sweet spot with use. Don't know why they are made like that. It seems like they make it a little easier. That said, until you step up to a Vectronix the swaro is still the best IMHO.