Best hunting scope ever?

Litehiker

Recently Sig/Sauer came out with their Sierra6 BDX line of scopes. These scopes are Bluetooth tech marvels with decent glass.

My choice for a long distance hunting scope (to 1,000 yards for antelope) would be the 3 - 18 x 44 Sierra6 BDX (Ballistic Data Exchange) paired with the SIG KILO300 BDX 10 x 42 range finding binoculars and a Kestrel 5700. ALL of these pieces of gear connect with each other with Bluetooth. Can I hear an "Amen!" for Bluetooth?

MODES OF USE FOR SIG SIERRA6 BDX SCOPES:
1.) as a stand-alone scope with main crosshars and "Christmas tree" dots reticle
2.) with a BDX range finding monocular or BDX binoculars giving you lighted vertical hold-over dots
3.) with a BDX rangefinder and the Kestrel 5700 for EXACT vertical and windage lighted hold points

You already use a rifle scope. You already carry binoculars. To the Sierra6 scopes just add SIG BDX monoculars or BDX binoculars and either SIG's Bluetooth weather meter or the Kestrel 5700 weather meter & ballistic engine with your rifle's exact ballistics for several loads. This gives you the windage and the vertical hold that has the added weather info in the final hold solutions. With the Kestrel you also get much more weather data and rifle/cartridge data for an optimum firing solution.

Currently i have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro with a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 illuminated G3 reticle. Also a Bushnell ARC 1 Mile laser rangefinder 10 x 42 binoculars. Yeah, they work pretty well together because I know from range testing how to "adjust" for the binoculars' hold readout. Bushnell uses a "library" of 8 ballistic curves for ammo to give you ballpark vertical hold points for your cartridge. You still have to "true" your holds at the range in 50 yard increments from 200 to 800 yards (my shooting window) for more exact holds and still you have no windage info beyond your experience - or a Kestrel 5700. And if you have the Kestrel 5700 you just use its readout for perfect hold AFTER entering the range manually. "Old" tech gear with a new tech Kestrel 5700

So now you see "the beauty of Bluetooth" in SIG's optics - speed and accuracy.
Eric B.
BTW, SIG has other BDX scopes. All have "Level-Plex" internal lighted dots at the right and left ends of the horizontal crosshairs. Tilt too far left and the left dot lights up. Tilt back right and it goes out at the level position. Same for the other side. Yeah, I know, amazing.

Last edited:
Litehiker,

🔶 you said you wanted to hear an "Amen!" for seamlessly connecting scope, anemometer, and range finder?
Well, you can get that, and a "Hallelujah!" to top it off! Love it when stuff works together! 😄

🔶 (However, like mdruyle I have Bluetooth devices that don't play well with others. Like some colleagues at work they have to literally be forced to work in a team with others. Very frustrating.)

🔶 If you want to do something similar to what Litehiker suggested, but with nightvision....
ATX has a range finder unit that attaches to some of their NV scopes to make the adjustments depending on range.
You don't get to connect an anemometer as with the SIG combo, but you get to record a video of your shot, and live stream the scope image via bluetooth to nearby phones/tablets.

Matthias

Recently Sig/Sauer came out with their Sierra6 BDX line of scopes. These scopes are Bluetooth tech marvels with decent glass.

My choice for a long distance hunting scope (to 1,000 yards for antelope) would be the 3 - 18 x 44 Sierra6 BDX (Ballistic Data Exchange) paired with the SIG KILO300 BDX 10 x 42 range finding binoculars and a Kestrel 5700. ALL of these pieces of gear connect with each other with Bluetooth. Can I hear an "Amen!" for Bluetooth?

1.) as a stand-alone scope with main crosshars and "Christmas tree" dots reticle
2.) with a BDX range finding monocular or BDX binoculars giving you lighted vertical hold-over dots
3.) with a BDX rangefinder and the Kestrel 5700 for EXACT vertical and windage lighted hold points

You already use a rifle scope. You already carry binoculars. To the Sierra6 scopes just add SIG BDX monoculars or BDX binoculars and either SIG's Bluetooth weather meter or the Kestrel 5700 weather meter & ballistic engine with your rifle's exact ballistics for several loads. This gives you the windage and the vertical hold that has the added weather info in the final hold solutions. With the Kestrel you also get much more weather data and rifle/cartridge data for an optimum firing solution.

Currently i have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro with a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 illuminated G3 reticle. Also a Bushnell ARC 1 Mile laser rangefinder 10 x 42 binoculars. Yeah, they work pretty well together because I know from range testing how to "adjust" for the binoculars' hold readout. Bushnell uses a "library" of 8 ballistic curves for ammo to give you ballpark vertical hold points for your cartridge. You still have to "true" your holds at the range in 50 yard increments from 200 to 800 yards (my shooting window) for more exact holds and still you have no windage info beyond your experience - or a Kestrel 5700. And if you have the Kestrel 5700 you just use its readout for perfect hold AFTER entering the range manually. "Old" tech gear with a new tech Kestrel 5700

Eric B.
BTW, SIG has other BDX scopes. All have "Level-Plex" internal lighted dots at the right and left ends of the horizontal crosshairs. Tilt too far left and the left dot lights up. Tilt back right and it goes out at the level position. Same for the other side. Yeah, I know, amazing.
All well and good, but not allowed for use in many states. Just make sure you know the rules before you go!

Montana - Page 23 of the 2021 Big Game Regulations:
Firearms
• Firearms, including rifles, handguns,
shotguns with 0, 00, or slugs, and
muzzleloaders; archery equipment; and
crossbows are lawful for taking game
animals. All other methods of take are
prohibited.
• There is no rifle or handgun caliber
limitation or magazine/round capacity
restrictions for the taking of game
animals.
Rifle scopes with illuminated reticles,
built-in range finding capabilities, and
"red dot" scopes are lawful for the taking
of game animals.

This is a recent, surprising change...

Archery meanwhile has gone the other way (Page 22):
The following are not considered a
hunting bow or lawful archery equipment
during the Archery Only Season or in an
Archery Equipment Only area or hunting
district:

–– Crossbow.
–– Any device with a gun-type stock
or incorporating any device or
mechanism that holds the bowstring
at partial or full draw without the
shooter's muscle power.
–– Any bow for which a portion of the
bow's riser (handle) or any track,
trough, channel, or other device that
attaches directly to the bow's riser
contacts, supports, and/or guides
the arrow from a point rearward
of the bow's brace height. This is
not intended to restrict the use of
standard overdraw systems.
–– Electronic or battery-powered devices
attached to a hunting bow or arrow
that aides in the taking or locating
of any game animal or game bird.
Exception: Camera devices attached
to bows for the sole purpose of filming
is allowed.

–– A bow sight or arrow that uses artificial
light, luminous chemicals such as
tritium, or electronics. Exception: an
arrow may have a lighted nock.

I have the SIG BDX system for my crossbow and love it. Works perfectly with Zero problems always connected and the deer would also agree that it works wonderfully. For my crossbow its amazing.

Eric B.
I'm waiting to hear how they handle the cold! Or if they can?

Or rain!
Time will tell.Look at how much abuse our china made cell phones take and can even get wet and keep on ticking.
Rooster...do you have a cell phone you use to take pictures? When you start a reply, look at the ATTACH FILES with the PAPERCLIP...bottom left corner....push it....it takes you to your photos .....pick your photo(s).....hit done.....that's all there is Sir to send photos......now.....you have no excuse...so...send me one!