Best Hunting Scope under $2000

For long-term optics, don't rule out the Nightforce NXS scopes.

The Zeiss, Swaro, or S&B will be a good choice, no matter which direction you go.

I know that doesn't help much, but I think you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks but no thanks on the Nightforce. I used to have the cheapest 4-12x50 Swarovski scope that they made (about $950) but sold it a year ago to buy my first "tactical" scope, a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with ZS and HS turrets. As far as a hunting scope and high quality glass goes, my Swaro was twice the scope that the NF was. I have since sold the NF and am replacing it with a 5-25x56 Steiner. The NF was great for shooting steel in broad daylight and was always reliable and tough as nails but sitting in a deer stand in low light, it was average at best.

As far as a hunting scope and high quality glass goes, my Swaro was twice the scope that the NF was. I have since sold the NF and am replacing it with a 5-25x56 Steiner. The NF was great for shooting steel in broad daylight and was always reliable and tough as nails but sitting in a deer stand in low light, it was average at best.

Those are almost fighting words on this Forum. I appreciate the comments because I think they're more or less correct. I don't know if Nightforce is using better glass in their latest model scopes today or not. I understand that hopes were set high for one of their newer models, but have not received any confirmation one way or the other. Good glass shouldn't be that difficult to install in Nightforce scopes. Good glass is pretty commonly available today at prices that don't appear to break the bank or profit potential in scopes costing much less than Nightforce. Sightron SIII series scopes are just one example.

Last edited:
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on my Kimber .270 WSM. Beautifully clear picture. A real pleasure to use. Good hunting optics for 500 yds on in.

Ted

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Laredo LRH 7mm Rem Mag with a BOSS system. The gun is great, but heavy, and the scope has performed well. I am currently looking for something with higher magnification and slightly better clarity. I am looking at the Swarovski but man they are expensive. Are they worth the +/-$2,000 price?

Look into the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. I have one on my 7mmSTW, and love it! I have another Conquest 3-12x56 30mm on my Weatherby AccuMark .257 Wby. Awesome scope, but it's a BEAST! It feels like it weighs 10lbs. I swear I could remove it, drive in tent stakes with it, and then mount it back up and it would be unscathed. LOL Great scope, just very hefty and very thick and strong built.

Kahles Helia scopes would be a good option for you, if you're lookin for light weight scopes with incredible glass.

I have a Kahles Helia CL 3-10x50 Scope w/Plex Reticle & MultiZero... and I have shot deer and antelope with it on a VZ24 7mmRM I built.

I do not like the .1 mili radian increment turret.
Stay away if you are an moa person.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.