Best low light hunting scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by msaucer, Jan 23, 2004.

1. msaucer

msaucer Member

What, in your opinion, is the best low light hunting scope available. Price not an issue. Whitetail deer, less than 400 yards.

2. texas

texas Well-Known Member

U.S. Optics,Nightforce ans the S&B.

3. Thunder Hunter

Thunder Hunter Active Member

I noticed you mentioned Hunting, and most of the deer are taken in Low Lite conditions. Since your not playing with paper targets at that time of day, I like IOR and the Burris line because of their high quality light gathering ability and sharpness.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I've found that the scope and lenses are not so much the critical deal but the reticle. Many times I've been able to clearly see the critter but the reticle is nowhere to be found. I don't use lighted reticles but the Leupold MilDot with the large end bars sure makes centering a lot easier.

5. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

Swarovski 2.5-10x56 Illuminated would be my first choice [​IMG]
    Crow Mag

6. sakofan

sakofan Well-Known Member

I agree with Dave King. The reticle gets lost first at low light. I seem to be more of a illuminated reticle guy, than I used to be. Had a S&B lit reticle that was the cats a$$. Wish I had it back.

Lit reticles are not for everyone, but they do help in certain situations. IOR's lit MP8 is outstanding as well..sakofan..

7. H-BAR

H-BAR Well-Known Member

Yeah use one of them too when doing deer damage permits here in NY!!!!

8. H-BAR

H-BAR Well-Known Member

Wow no night vision scopes???? I use a night scope for varmints!!!

9. Jim Maloney

Jim Maloney Well-Known Member

USO, S&B, Swaro, IOR, but the best of all, a spot light. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SAKO75HUNTER

SAKO75HUNTER Active Member

I love my S&B!~~~~!!!!

11. Thunder Hunter

Thunder Hunter Active Member

I have PREVIOUSLY owned 2 Quality built S@B scopes, and looked through my friends Swaro, and they all give me the gray look; not crisp bright WHITE. The Zeiss, and IOR, and top of the line Luey's, including that same line in BURRIS have the clear, sharp colour image that the eyes normally see. But heavy hunting reticles is on call for hunting 1/2 hr. after sunset as is the case in most places.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I have 4 NF NXS scopes with different reticles(Mil-Dot, DD, NP-1RR) and will have to agree that the illuminated reticle is the way to go. I don't think I'll be returning to the non-ill. type anytime soon...

13. sakofan

sakofan Well-Known Member

Chris, what is your personal favorite illuminated reticle from Night Force??..sakofan..