Best factory ammo for my girlfriend's 6.5 CM

For shorter range stuff like you've stated, the Barnes 127gr would open up very well and take lead out of the equation.
I normally don't hunt with my 6.5CM- just steel. I did load up some eldx to see how they perform. And now- I know. This was the ENTRY after tapping the rear of the shoulder.

Attachments

• eldx kaboom.jpg
    eldx kaboom.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 29
You can shoot, shoulder blades with, Berger "Hunting" Bullets, BUT with ELD-X's and, M's, it's best to, go,.."Boiler Room" and,..
at least, a couple of Hundred yards, out !
The 6.5 Creedmoors,. a "Killer"

Last edited:
Every rifle is different. I see Feenix's CM loves Winchester XP 125's. Probably can't beat that in that rifle.
Yes, Sir! I do not see the reload at this time, esp., when I am keeping my shots <300Y with this set-up. I still have a couple of boxes of factory ammo with the same lot #.

This was my last WT Doe harvest at 200Y, DRT.

IMG_0961.jpeg

I help set-up my Airman's .308 Win with 150g Winchester Deer Season XP and below is his 3-shot group at 200Y.

IMG_7434.jpeg

Three seasons ago I had all the time in the world to set up my shot. 550 yards with a 143ELDX, the cow elk only took a couple of steps and fell over. I hit her exactly in the heart. It felt like it actually took a long time for the bullet to even get down to her, if she would have taken a step or turned around I definatly wouldn't have been as pleased. No blood shot meat, but I won't ever shoot that far with a Creed again. Just seemed like it didn't hit hard enough for me. Will be keeping creed shots inside of 400. Not cause it didn't work but I felt I was on the cusp of it not expanding.-WW
ps. I've used a lot of Barnes and inside of 500 it works fine, same with Hammers.

Hornady SSTs have been working very well for me. Just shot an axis deer two days ago, got complete pass through, and it didn't make it far at all before it dumped over. It looked like soup inside while field dressing the deer. They are also what I use in my other rifles and have never had a deer go far, if not dead on spot.

Three seasons ago I had all the time in the world to set up my shot. 550 yards with a 143ELDX, the cow elk only took a couple of steps and fell over. I hit her exactly in the heart. It felt like it actually took a long time for the bullet to even get down to her, if she would have taken a step or turned around I definatly wouldn't have been as pleased. No blood shot meat, but I won't ever shoot that far with a Creed again. Just seemed like it didn't hit hard enough for me. Will be keeping creed shots inside of 400. Not cause it didn't work but I felt I was on the cusp of it not expanding.-WW
ps. I've used a lot of Barnes and inside of 500 it works fine, same with Hammers.
You can, "Speed up" the 6.5 Creedmoor with, 130 Grain Bullets, like the 130 gr. ELD-M's or 130 gr. H-VLD Berger's and get, 2,800+ FPS easily with, StaBall 65 and they do seem, much Quicker than, the 143 gr. ELD-X's that, I currently use as, a Hunting Load at, 2,730 FPS.
. A couple of Big, Bull Elk have been Killed, in Southern Idaho by Ladies with, the 6.5 Creed ( factory 143 gr. ELD-X ammo ) at under, 400 yds and both, Elk, DRT. I see, a lot of "bashing" on this Bullet, lately and have wondered, IF possibly, Hornady had, a Bad Run of. Bullets or, if they used the much thinner "M" Jacket, material by accident ?? What Velocity do you get from your ELD-X's used on, your Elk ?
I got spoiled with, My .270 WSM launching 140 Bergers at almost, 3,200 FPS ( a Baby,.. Lazer ) with Bullet still going, OVER 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yds.

Last edited:
You can, "Speed up" the 6.5 Creedmoor with, 130 Grain Bullets, like the 130 gr. ELD-M's or 130 gr. H-VLD Berger's and get, 2,800+ FPS easily with, StaBall 65 and they do seem, much Quicker than, the 143 gr. ELD-X's that, I currently use as, a Hunting Load at, 2,730 FPS.
. A couple of Big, Bull Elk have been Killed, in Southern Idaho by Ladies with, the 6.5 Creed ( factory 143 gr. ELD-X ammo ) at under, 400 yds and both, Elk, DRT. I'm see, a lot of "bashing" on this Bullet, lately and have wondered, IF possibly, Hornady had, a Bad Run of. Bullets or, if they used the much thinner "M" Jacket, material by accident ?? What Velocity do you get from your ELD-X's used on, your Elk ?
I got spoiled with, My .270 WSM launching 140 Bergers at almost, 3,200 FPS ( a Baby,.. Lazer ) with Bullet still going, OVER 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yds.
2950fps with RL26 was my best accuracy. I have gongs set up every hundred yards from 100 to 1000 right from my deck. The cow was with a herd of 60 feeding between my 500 and 600 yard gongs. I've only shot one elk at that distance. I've got a buck and a cow every year for 35 years now, but never had to shoot over 300 yards. I'm happier with the 6.5 PRC, same bullets it just gives me a harder hit at 500 to 600. I don't ever see a need for me to shoot further and I plink to 1000 almost every week. In fact I"m gearing up to go 45-70 Marlin next season. Just got to be more sneaky.-WW

Never seen 140gr eldm not shoot well. And they punch through shoulder blades just fine. Don't believe the fuddlore

@ Wetwrk,..
My 143 ELD-X's are going, 2730 FPS but, still seem "slow" to me, too ( LOL ) and YES, the 6.5 PRC is much Better for, the longer ranges,.. on Elk.
My son and I, encouraged my 23 y/o grandson to buy, the PRC as he will have, very close Performance with, 140's as my, .270 WSM does.
We're starting to Reload 140 grain, Berger Elite Hunters for him, as an "all around", Deer, Elk and L R, Steel Plate, Target load.
Hoping to Achieve "accuracy" at close to, 3,100 FPS

Last edited:

There is not noticeable difference in flight time at that distance. The 143 eldx at 2740 fps has a flight time of .72 seconds. A 300 win with a 200 grain bullet is about .68 seconds.

Can we judge the .04 seconds difference?