Best factory ammo for my girlfriend's 6.5 CM

Speed is overrated to a point. If you pick a minimum energy or speed as your limit, an extra 100 fps buys you another 100 yards at the end.

6.5 creed 143 2700 fps factory
6.5 prc. 143 2960 fps factory

Creed 1800 fps at 850 yards
pRC. 1800 fps at 1075

Shooting the prc over the creed gives you an extra 225 yards with this bullet. The 100 fps adds 100 yards in most calibers.

Speed is overrated to a point. If you pick a minimum energy or speed as your limit, an extra 100 fps buys you another 100 yards at the end.

6.5 creed 143 2700 fps factory
6.5 prc. 143 2960 fps factory

Creed 1800 fps at 850 yards
pRC. 1800 fps at 1075

Shooting the prc over the creed gives you an extra 225 yards with this bullet. The 100 fps adds 100 yards in most calibers.
What you point out is only one side of the appeal of speed; and with most of us, perhaps misses the point of why we want more velocity. We aren't trying to gain 100 yards, our concern is that after the shot, the animal doesn't run 100 yards. More velocity means more shock effect and a faster put down. And that is why we want more velocity, not for flatter trajectory or even more maximum range.

Where I hunt, shots are under 400 yards...but if the deer run farther than 30 yards, it can leave you screwed in a big way when trying to get the deer out. So, if you ever wonder why anyone would want a bullet closer to 2900 or higher velocity... try pulling a deer out from under a cut-over brush pile on your stomach.

So, sometimes speed is to keep the animal (any animal) from getting very far into a place which is below the 3rd level of hell to get out. Velocity, if high enough, can do a great job of putting them down immediately. My two bucks this season didn't get beyond sight. One a few feet, the other down where he stood. But that was only because my 150 grainer hit them at about 3,000 fps. OOOOPH, that puts them down.

What you point out is only one side of the appeal of speed; and with most of us, perhaps misses the point of why we want more velocity. We aren't trying to gain 100 yards, our concern is that after the shot, the animal doesn't run 100 yards. More velocity means more shock effect and a faster put down. And that is why we want more velocity, not for flatter trajectory or even more maximum range.

Where I hunt, shots are under 400 yards... you screwed in a big way when trying to get the deer out. So, if you ever wonder why anyone would want a bullet closer to 2900 or higher velocity... try pulling a deer out from under a cut-over brush pile on your stomach.

So, sometimes speed is to keep the animal (any animal) from getting very far into a place which is below the 3rd level of

So I'll use the 143 used Above

The creed would be at 2143 fps at 400 yards.
The prc would be at 2380 fps at 400 yards.

So you are saying that difference at 400 yards would be significant? If you think so, then you wouldn't shoot a deer at 575 yards with prc because the velocity would be at 2142 fps(same as creed at 400 yards).

The math works the same for most if not all bullets.

If your game is running 100 yards, it's a bullet or placement problem not a cartridge problem.

Last edited:
So I'll use the 143 used Above

The creed would be at 2143 fps at 400 yards.
The prc would be at 2380 fps at 400 yards.

So you are saying that difference at 400 yards would be significant? If you think so, then you wouldn't shoot a deer at 575 yards with prc because the velocity would be at 2142 fps(same as creed at 400 yards).

The math works the same for most if not all bullets.

If your game is running 100 yards, it's a bullet or placement problem not a cartridge problem.
I didn't say that. I did say that faster bullets kill down them faster. I want my critters down before they run 25 yards or less ideally. But it takes good terminal performance to achieve that. More Velocity increases terminal performance.

Boom..........this! Buy a case of Hornady Whitetail Classic with the 129 Interlock in it and rock on.

Whitetail at sub 150 yds, this load is a rock star and all is needed. Forget the rest of the fancy smancy crap..
What groups did you get with Hornady Whitetail 129's? I have a box of it but I need the wind to stop howling so I can test it at longer range to compare it to my other ammos. I compare every load at 200 Yards first. I don't just want to buy ammo for hunting at 150 yards or less. I want whatever I use to be confident and capable at intermediate ranges too.

I can't wait to slam a deer after Christmas with Fiocchi 129 SP. I killed a doe with Fiocchi 165 SP in 30-06 and it was an execution our system of Capital Punishment could not have criticized. Hopefully, it performs likewise in 6.5 CM, but we'll see.

What groups did you get with Hornady Whitetail 129's? I have a box of it but I need the wind to stop howling so I can test it at longer range to compare it to my other ammos. I compare every load at 200 Yards first. I don't just want to buy ammo for hunting at 150 yards or less. I want whatever I use to be confident and capable at intermediate ranges too.

I can't wait to slam a deer after Christmas with Fiocchi 129 SP. I killed a doe with Fiocchi 165 SP in 30-06 and it was an execution our system of Capital Punishment could not have criticized. Hopefully, it performs likewise in 6.5 CM, but we'll see.
I finally got around to testing Hornady Whitetail 129 today. Despite my somewhat poor shooting today, I was able to put 3 shots under an inch at 200 yards so I would like to try it on deer. It is the Interlock bullet, so probably ok at intermediate range.

Where I'm living now, I don't have the space to set up my loading equipment. Anyway, I got her a rifle I knew she could handle, being that she is new to rifle shooting. Plus, it has a ton of options. Any of you that know me, know I like heavy for caliber bullets.

So I'm thinking the 140 Tipped Game King, Nosler 140 Accubond, or the Barnes 127 VOR-TX. I see S&B has a 156.

Shots will be 150 yards tops for her. So maybe I shouldn't worry about the bonded stuff? Heck, I dont know, I been out of the game for quite some time now. Im scope shopping

6.5CM Factory ammo = Berger 130 OTM

We have used these bullets in 6.5CM, 6.5SLR, .260AI, and 6.5SS.
From 2720fps to 3086fps MV.
From 130 to 771 yards on pronghorn and 200 to 637 on big mule deer.
Coyotes hate them to death too.

A couple of Big, Bull Elk have been Killed, in Southern Idaho by Ladies with, the 6.5 Creed ( factory 143 gr. ELD-X ammo ) at under, 400 yds and both, Elk, DRT.
It's interesting that the 6.5cm is often "enough" for a female, but deemed inadequate for a male (who probably shoots more often).

Just goes to show that the headstamp on the brass doesn't matter that much. And being able to put the shot where you want, is easier with less recoil.

140 eldm. You won't need the 147 in the CM. The 129 sst is good. 129 interlock is one heck of a bullet especially since you said her shots would be close. That bullet has been an old standby for years.
The 123sst is a good option also