Best day ever for Goats!!!!

bigngreen

We had the best day of antelope hunting on record, it was a father son hunt with me and my dad and my best friend and his. The morning started with a pack of wolves serenading our first stalk of the morning, they were only a few hundred yards through a little finger of timber, I'll be back to pay them a visit in a couple weeks :D
First goat took a 60gr Berger to the shoulder at 192yrds, terminal performance was superb and very little of the heart was intact, goat two took a 60 gr Berger at 350yrds high behind the shoulder and rolled over DOA. Third got smoked by a 140 Berger from a 6.5 Sherman out at 550 ish with outstanding terminal performance and the forth was shot high and back and the rifle was obviously of and it quickly took a 60gr Berger behind the ear. And last but not least I sent a 300gr Berger OTM through the ribs of a doe at 300yrds from a 338 RUM, all I can say is WOW I've never seen anything like that.
Limited pics but after we get them cut tomorrow and I'll get more details up, Berger's put the smack down on them!!!!! No super long range but WOW what a day, five for five tagged out!!!

Last edited:
Thats what it's all about Rhian. Congrats on a great day with family and friends.

All those diferent calibers and sized Bergers and all worked perfect with "no tracking required". Hmmm, guess you were among shooters.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Jeff

Sounds like a good time with Dad:D
Looking forward to the pics! Specialy the 338 RUM fatality.
Hopeing to turn the 338 Edge loose on three goats next Saterday

OK, got them all cut up and put away! I got less pics than I thought and a few were a little ugly for small children or the weak stomached. First pic is a pic of the the rifles used, front to back are a Savage 12 22-250 shooting 60gr Bergers at 3500fps, next is a Model 70 with a fresh Pac-Nor in 6.5 Sherman with 140 Bergers at 3130fps, the back one is not quite finished but it's a Savage 110 with a Brux in 338 RUM shooting 300gr Berger OTM's.

003.jpg

Exit hole from a 300gr Berger at 300yrds, I held low and back trying to stay away from the shoulders and avoid any undo carnage. Entrance was a pin hole but the exit was unreal and I'm glad I held back, the heart was completely gone lungs a mess, the diaphragm was spit and the paunch was hanging out of the exit and the liver was split even though the entrance hole and exit were both well in front of the diaphragm. I was trying to see if they would even expand, I was expecting them to pencil through or barely get open, not the case!!! I've never seen anything like it then again it's the first time I've used a 300gr bullet and it's the first kill for a rifle I built, need to finish it now.

006.jpg

Entrance of a 6.5 140 Berger, blew the liver and messed up the lungs. I'm thinking we'll be building more 6.5 Shermans, it's a tack driver and just plain sweet shooting!

007.jpg

Exit of 140 Berger, bullet performance was as expected, flawless performance with a pin hole in and a whole lot of messed up parts in the middle. The exit was rather large, about 2.5in but the way it blows out there isn't that much meat loss.

012.jpg

Front shoulder of a doe that was chosen for close range, high velocity Berger testing. She took a 60gr Berger bullet from a 22-250 starting out at 3500fps at 192 yrds right in the front shoulder, bullet pin holed in and hit the bone and shattered it and then blew a 3in hole through the rib cage then shredded the upper 2/3 of the heart completely removing it. No splash wound, weird!

Doe 1.jpg

Last edited:
Sweeeeeeeeeeet buddy!! Congrats to all involved! Great pics! You got me chompin at the bit for tryin Roys lil gems on a deer if I can find one.

P.S. I'm proud of you for having at least one Model-70 in the pic :D

Give Noslers a try. I've killed more goats than I can remember over the last 30 years mostly using Noslers. Don't remember losing a single one. All were grave yard dead...

More pics, this buck took a 60gr bullet while taking a snooze that finished with a dirt nap. Bullet went right behind the shoulder taking out the lung and hit the spine and taking it out but not exiting.

buck 1.jpg

A little pic of the cartridges used packed full of Berger bullets, 338 RUM, 6.5 Sherman and 22-250 gun)

004.jpg

It was a great weekend and we'll have a nice little pile of sausage meat to boot. I hate wolves but man they make a mountain valley sing, they are next on the list of targets along with some elk and deer! It's nice to tag out first day, now we have a couple weeks to get a couple little kinks out and rest up. I've got to get my 270 WSM put back together so I'm not forced to shoot the RUM again :D

Thanks for sharing Rhian! I'm glad that your dad is enjoying his build. Man, that .338 hole was unreal. Looks like if you do it right, you won't have to take your knife along:D.......Rich

I'm envious! I so LOVE hunting Montana Goat! I hunted them in the SE for 20+ years... need to get back out there! Sounds like there are a few in the SW too!!

Great reoprt and pics! Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.