22-250 for goats

I have not bought it yet, but I was thinking of getting the Ruger Hawkeye in a 22-250. That is a 1:14 twist.

Will a .22-250 work for antelope? Like has been said, yes and no. I've killed a couple of antelope with a .22-250. In almost 40 years of hunting them, the only antelope that I ever shot and lost was with a .22-250. I also have several friends that have shot everything including elk and buffalo with their .22-250's.

Like someone else posted, I'd rather kill a coyote too much than an antelope not enough.

I've killed antelope with a .308, .30-06, 7mm RM, .22-250, and my favorite is my .257 AI, which is also a great coyote gun.

Montana does not have any caliber restrictions for hunting big game.

Last edited:
So 22-250 can kill an antelope but would need to be shot under 200 yds with the right bullet and be in a state that allows you to use a small caliber. But why mess with limits just go up in caliber size.

So 22-250 can kill an antelope but would need to be shot under 200 yds with the right bullet and be in a state that allows you to use a small caliber. But why mess with limits just go up in caliber size.
A 22-250 will kill antelopes! My dad has hunted with one for 30+ years he started out shooting 50 grain hornady sp (cheap) bullets when he was 19 years old. He has taken white tail deer out to 500 yrds (kentucky windage) several times I also know someone that shot a bull with one ,stupid I know but they killed a bull with a 22-250 . If you plan to shoot a 22-250 you need to place the shot well , just as any caliber practice good shot placement . The biggest reason that I don't hunt with one is because if the wind blows your in trouble.

JUst my .02

Bigbuck

My suggestion for hammering turbo goats with a .22-250 Rem would be to; re-barrel to a 1-7 or 1-6.5 twist and using bullets from guys like Robert at North West Custom Projectile in a bonded 85gr to 90gr. What I did was to, re-barrel to a 1-7 twist 28" inch chambering to a .22-250 Ackley Improved; works great, good range, very, very accurate. But in the end I could've just used a .243 caliber with the same bullet weights'…, duh! I have used .22 caliber 60gr Nosler Partition bullet on deer size game from the standard .22-250 Rem and found them to work very well {Idaho} from 1-10 and 1-12 barrels. The Nosler Par 60gr bullets do not like the 1-14 twist at all. This bullet {60gr Par} or one of the heavier Barnes TSX BT 62gr'ers in .22 cal bullets would be my pick for turbo goats out of a standard .22-250's using the 1-10 or 1-12 twist.

Walker1: The 22-250 Remington is an excellent Antelope killer - I know - I done it!
If you want a dual purpose Rifle in a great and accurate caliber then the 22-250 should be considered.
But as far as I know the only state where the 22-250 Remington is legal for Hunting Antelope (Big Game) is here in Montana.
There are NO caliber restrictions here in Montana - you run what you brung - here!
IF someone has shot at an Antelope with a 22-250 and hit it and then not recovered it then said Hunter simply made a bad shot!
Bad shots can be made with ANY caliber Rifle/pistol!
Some of THE most instantaneous and impressive kills I have seen on Antelope were made with 223's, 22-250's and 220 Swifts!
Never, underestimate the lethailty of a well placed (heart/lungs area!) shot from a 22 centerfire on medium sized game!
They are deadly!
Having said these things the last 5 Antelope I have harvested were taken with either a 270 Winchester Sendero Model 700, a Ruger V/T in 25/06 Remington or a Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington.
Best of luck if you decide to go for the 22-250 Antelope/Coyote Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Seems a bit funny to worry a 243 is too much for coyotes and not worry the 22-250 is too small for antelope.

Both will do both jobs well. The 6mm will offer a significant advantage in wind drift and energy in factory guns. Most 22-250's are a 1 in 14 twist which would radically limit the usefulness of the 22 for big game.

I think if you really want a multi purpose tool the 243 is a hands down winner in this case. If you really want a 22-250, it'll darn sure kill antelope and deer too. Just be aware of its limits.
grit - perfect.
walker - do you reload? what rifle are you considering?

My suggestion for hammering turbo goats with a .22-250 Rem would be to; re-barrel to a 1-7 or 1-6.5 twist and using bullets from guys like Robert at North West Custom Projectile in a bonded 85gr to 90gr. What I did was to, re-barrel to a 1-7 twist 28" inch chambering to a .22-250 Ackley Improved; works great, good range, very, very accurate. But in the end I could've just used a .243 caliber with the same bullet weights'…, duh! I have used .22 caliber 60gr Nosler Partition bullet on deer size game from the standard .22-250 Rem and found them to work very well {Idaho} from 1-10 and 1-12 barrels. The Nosler Par 60gr bullets do not like the 1-14 twist at all. This bullet {60gr Par} or one of the heavier Barnes TSX BT 62gr'ers in .22 cal bullets would be my pick for turbo goats out of a standard .22-250's using the 1-10 or 1-12 twist.

+1
With a 14 twist and most 50-55 grainers you are looking for trouble, I've shot plenty of deer with it and it is less than ideal. For a long range goat combo I would rather throw a rock. Between the wind and shoulder both will ruin your day.
I have watched several goat dropped with a 223 WSSM and as stated above it was running a fast twist and 90 grain matchkings. This brings the .22 to a whole new level.

I ended up getting a 22-250. I use the heck out of it coyote hunting. Killed one a couple of weeks ago at 413yrds. I have yet to hunt antelope and I figured I would just use my 7mm. Or it give me an excuss to buy another rifle. I ended up buying the Ruger Predator and I do my own reloads.

i would go with the 243 it is what i use, I do my own hand loading so my rifle is a little more versatile, i shoot a 52gr hornady vmax for coyotes, if i want to save the fur i shoot a 90 gr fmj and if i am deer or antelope hunting i shoot a 95 gr nbt. the 22-250 would be a ok rifle for antelope the farthest i ever shot an antelope at was 400 yards i woud take in to consideration the amount of energy the bullet has at what ever ranges you hunt at there are better rifle calibers out there however you can make a 22-250 work as long as it is legal.

I have hunted in NM 3 of the last 4 years for Antelope.

I have seen
4 taken with a 55gr .223
2 taken with a 55gr 22-250
1 taken with a 32gr .204 (too light but 1 shot kill none the less)
2 taken with a 80gr ttsx .243 (stone dead on impact)
1 taken with a 110gr 25-06
2 taken with a 130gr.270
1 taken with a 160gr 7mm

None of the above complained about whether they were too dead or not.
I am very sold on the .243 on kills to 350 yds.
105 gr You can load it up for long range
80-95gr load it for medium game
53-75gr for varmints

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.