Best goat yet

MachV

My partner got called out of town for the opener so the camp cook and I went out to do a little more scouting as earlier trips revieled a lot of joe averages that cut at the ear and very few cutting any higher. The first day I got up and started getting ready only to find the tag I had with me was a deer tag= went back to bed (Im on vacation) when I finaly got up I headed to to nearest tag shp and bought a duplicate tag as it was cheaper than running all the way back home.
With tag in hand I headed out in search of a freek or the monster that didnt exist in this area. I did find on a couple of above average bucks but was holding out for a freek. The second day I found one in the morning that cut above the ears but not enough to end my hunting. The afternoon found me loooking at a really tall goat with no mass, give him a pass.
The third day i slept in and didnt get out till dang near noon,hey im on vacation and aint working at filling a tag. After putting more than 200 miles and a lot of glassing I decided to check out the one spot I had not looked. Couple more bucks that showed promise till I got close enough to see they just were a little above joe average.
Got careless and topped a hill before looking and bumped a herd that had a couple of good bucks with them. Didnt get a good look at them before they blew out but backtracked to ware they where headed. A half mile hike put me on a hill overlooking where they should be. As I peaked over the edge a doe already had me spotted and the buck beside her put me into kill mode. The geovids said he was 409 yards out, turned the scope up 6.5 moa and sent the 120 ELD out of the Grendel on its way= WOP, dang the WY wind and my forgetting to adjust for it. Hit him a little far back but the second shot planted him.
Sat there a few minutes to make sure he was down for the count and headed the half mile back to the atv for my knife and pack. Left the gun there to save weight and back to the goat. About the time I got to the goat I realize I had been here before.....this was the same valley I shot the demon goat in and in fact they died not houndred yards from each other. That and I was hopeing the ground shrinkage was not too bad......

https://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/wygoatanddeerhunting/websize/20190923_124411.jpg
20190923_162659.jpg

Rough scored him tonight at 81 3/4 , maybe it pays to not shoot the first one or hundred you see?
Thinking now caping him might have been worth the extra trip?

20190923_124411.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/wygoatanddeerhunting/websize/20190923_162659.jpg

Yes sir, pretty nice goat! It "kicks butt" on any of mine! Congratulations on your nice buck! memtb

I have shot a lot of bucks in the last 15 years and this is far and above any of them. It really pays to be patient (something I aint good at) I bet I had 50 bucks in range and even put the scope to a couple of them but made myself wait for another freek or a biggen, big works ;-)
Funny thing is the buck below was shot a couple years ago not 50 yards from where this one dropped.

IMG_20140920_174518-1.jpg

IMG_20150131_150954.jpg

I have shot a lot of bucks in the last 15 years and this is far and above any of them. It really pays to be patient (something I aint good at) I bet I had 50 bucks in range and even put the scope to a couple of them but made myself wait for another freek or a biggen, big works ;-)
Funny thing is the buck below was shot a couple years ago not 50 yards from where this one dropped.

IMG_20150131_150954.jpg

MachV, That Sir is another real good goat! My wife has 2, just under 17". However, she really likes non-topicals. I suspect that she'd gladly have passed on one of those 17"ers, for that buck!

50 yards apart....I didn't know "goats" would come to a salt block! :D memtb

IMG_20150131_150954.jpg
Nice work Buddy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.