Best compromise for a do it all rifle

image.jpg
.270 Win, 140gr accubond

I have a 6.5/284 and two 280 Ackleys. The 280s are my do-it-all picks. One uses 168gr vlds @ 3015 and the other 180s @ 2875. The 6.5 runs 140s @ 2875 (it will go over 3000, but was most accurate at 2875). I'm building a 260 for a shoot-til-the-barrel is toast practice rifle, not trying to push max velocity, just have fun. I wouldn't be shy about hunting most anything with any of them, just limit distance to reasonable energy delivered at the target.

Don,
This will be a target (plinking) and hunting rifle. No competitions to speak of. Probably a 60/40 split, target being 60. There should not be any insanely long strings of fire.

It will be used on coyotes and deer here in Indiana and if I ever have the chance I would like to have a rifle that could preform out west. I would also enjoy a prairie dog hunt someday. Most hunting shots here in Indiana will be with in 500 yards very easily. Our target range on the farm is out to 800 yards.

Barrel life is a factor to me because I do not want to worry about it. If I'm out shooting steel with the boys I don't want to feel the need to stop. I'm not saying long strings of fire. Just that if I want to throw 50 rounds down the tube this afternoon I don't need to worry about it.

I also enjoy load development. I want a rifle that I can "play" with. Try different bullets, powders, and loads. Not just to shoot but to educate myself on what works and how.

I would like to stay factory with it or at least a well known well documented wildcat.

I am starting to reload sort of. I have been reloading for my 6.5-284 at a friends house. I am planning to purchase my own equipment soon.

I want to have a rifle that gets used. I have a hand full now that all play their individual roles but a dependable quality piece is what I'm wanting. If it makes any sense I want one that I know when I grab it for whatever reason it will do the job.

I think this answers everything

What about .264 Win Mag?

There is a wealth of availability in both supplies and information. I know you have the whole belt and headspace issue though.

I wish the 6.5 Rem Mag had better brass availability it has interested me for a while.

.270, .308, 6.5 Creedmoor are all great. The thing is I like to be different. As a great friend of mine says-
"Your a Salmon, you constantly swim up steam"
I just like to be different. If everyone has a Chevy truck I buy a Ford ect...

6.5 Sherman or 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag), or a .280 Sherman, or 7mm SS (Sherman Shortmag) would be a great option if you're wanting something a bit different that all your buddies aren't shooting or have never heard of. Also, Rich Sherman (the inventor) is a very active member of this forum, so if you have any questions he can help. His username is "elkaholic".

That being said, the .280 AI is a great option, and so is the 7mm RemMag pushing Berger 168 VLD's or 175 Elite Hunters.

I have a lot of heavy, long distance rifles. I felt I needed at least one lightweight rifle in a hard-hitting, medium lead-throwing caliber. I ended up going with the 270 WSM. Currently shooting 145 gr. ELD-X's just over 3,100 fps. Great caliber, but you will need to reload as ammo is very expensive. I have both a Browning A-Bolt and a Tikka T3 Light in the 270 WSM. Both are stock, about 6.5 lbs. amd shoot .75 MOA. Just something else to consider. Barrel life should still be decent, but a non-magnum will always get you further down the road in that department.

I don't really think you can do what you want with one rifle.

I shoot a lot of prairie dogs and no way would I use a .270 or a 6.5-.284 on them. Too many of them and the shooting is too frequent and rapid. Something like a 6 mm Remington (not that common anymore - yet you can still by factory ammo if you need to) might do all three from deer to coyotes to prairie dogs. But even that I would probably reserve for wood chucks on a reef 350 to 600 yards away. Have shot more than one elk with a 6 mm Remington.

You have a 6.5-.284, why not rebarrel if it is not accurate enough for shooting as far as you want to shoot. Use it for deer and elk (when heading west). And if not a 6 mm Remington, then a .222 or a .223 with a faster twist barrel for shooting heavies for coyotes, ground hogs and plinking in the midwest plus prairie dog and wood chucks out west along with a good .22 and a .17 hmr. Shooting at prairie dogs is fast and furious and even a heavy barrel .223 needs time to cool.

It's not that my 6.5 isn't accurate enough, it does a very good job it just weighs as much as a small suv. But that was what I designed it for. It's very inconvenient to pack around.

I have a .222 Remington 799 and a Savage .17 HMR. Both do their jobs well. More critters have died from that .17 than everything else I own combined. I also own a Yankee Hill AR in 5.56.

I do agree that one gun will not fill all those roles effectively but was wanting a compromise that would be handy, reliable, accurate, and fun.

I would like a redo and suggest the 6mm creedmoor. They are twisted right for 105 class of bullets which will cover alot of your desires up to deer at reasonable distance. You can neck down lapua small primer or like I did purchase peterson brass in either large or small primer at a great price. It does have factory ammo as well. Hard to beat the selection of high quality 6mm bullets from 55 to 115 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.