Best Carry Options

With respect to sights many if not most self defense shootings are close range, arm distance affairs where the traditional two hand point from the shoulder technique is tantamount to giving the threat the weapon. Therefore a good self defense training regimen will include shooting from weapon retention positions, one handed, bent elbow ( elbow grounded to the side) with the free hand grounded on your body as well to prevent shooting it. A good technoque is to ground your free hand on your temple, wrist facing in or to the rear. This protects your neck and head like a high boxer guard and the larger vessels inside the arm and elbow.

You have to create the space first because you do not want to draw on a guy while grappling with them - you need that space first, not much space, but enough to draw and fire on them without losing the weapon.

This is the kind of instinctive shooting to practice. Anything outside of a few paces should not be instinctive at all but deliberately aimed. We train so that our training allows us to rise above our instincts and follow proven procedures to survive, and that includes using the front sight. If you dont, you will miss. You will miss and not stop the threat and worse may even hit an innocent.

Many police officers, especially those in non gun friendly areas are not gun enthusiasts, dont train, but they do qual. They are not the same thing, it is rare for someone in my requals for a federal agency to not pass, and to be honest if they do not train on their own they will not be prepared, "qualified" or not. This is why the hit percentage in police shootings is sometimes very low, leading to incidents such as the one in NY where 16 rounds were fired at a man by two police officers and ended up wounding nine innocent bystanders, three of whom were shot directly and six who caught errant ricochets.

We can and must do better than that, using training to modify our initial instincts. If we do we will not only increase our own odds of survival (a moderate speed hit is far more effective than three fast misses) but greatly increase the safety of others as well. The whole point of training is to learn to modify our actions to produce a specific result. Outside of weapons retention shooting positions that should include the front sight.

Last edited:
Pete makes a good point on situational awareness. This requires a concerted effort as well, as our natural laziness as human beings often causes us to check out. A good resource on situational awareness is a book that summarizes the Marine Corps " Combat Hunter" program. The book relates some of the observational techniques necessary to move you from one who reacts to a threat to someone who anticipates the threat. The book is called "Left of Bang" and I highly recommmend it for anyone, especially since in these days of moral collapse and islamist attacks on innocents we are looking more and more like the wild wild west.
Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Left-Bang-Marine-Combat-Program/dp/1936891301

I carry a pro Crimson carry ll .45 with a 4 inch barrel.I bought a model 135 Bianchi allusion inside the waist band holster and found it comfortable and havent thought of trying any others.I carry it daily,the holster is secure and concealed.

Amen re the importance of situational awareness. That discipline, if practiced, could greatly reduce the need to ever draw on another human.

Re sights: I can highly recommend the tritium night sights that come standard on the Sig 938. The sights on my Glocks are painted white but are not visible in pitch black darkness like the tritium sights (radioactive).

Cleaned it, lubed it, loaded 6 and fired consecutive semi rapid fire from the combat stance. 30 feet. Soon as the barrel came back to aim point I fired again. Dropped one low. 230 gr ball.

IMG_20150111_132653547_zps9a77eb4f.jpg

Next 6 same rate of fire , stance and distance, this time using laser.

IMG_20150111_132642715_zpse9c8df5a.jpg

I am pleased in all aspects. I was not struggling with the recoil or sight acquisition. Now just to keep practicing and maybe tweek the sights a tiny bit.

Jeff

Jeff, great looking rig---you'll enjoy it. Above anything else, practice, practice and practice. Then practice some more. Whatever works for YOU is what is going to work and is what you are going to do when SHTF.
I carried a single action 45 for years but now carry either a glock 40 or a S & W M/P.
They're simple, high capacity and reliable. Point and shoot and point and shoot again till whatever you are pointing at is down.
I personally like to carry in the small of my back or my ankle depending on what I am wearing. It may be a wee bit slower than a side draw but for me (and that is all that is important), it's out of the way, comfortable in either position and I can still get to it pretty quick. And if you are ever in a situation when being searched by a "bad guy," it is easier for them to miss.
You just never know in todays world.
And I also carry a 5 shot 22 mag in my pocket, ALWAYS.
One other carry point----make sure you can access your gun with EITHER hand.
Guess I got off the thread a bit but I spent quite a few years in the trenches and the above info is something I learned through those experiences.

Randy

Broz, good shooting! I read through this all and felt I'd throw in my .02.
I have been carrying a Pro Crimson Carry for years now and coudn't be happier. I use a Galco V Hawk IWB holster and it's so comfortable I don't even notice it's there most of the time.

As for the utility of the laser, it's not in the daylight on the practice range that it will truly shine. It's in that dark parking lot or backyard when it will truly show it's value. The one and only time I had to draw my weapon, the instant that red dot hit that shitbags chest, he turned and ran away. I was working late in the city and had 3 blocks to walk to the parking garage, noticed I was being followed in the middle of block 1, crossed the street on block 2, he crossed and closed distance..I turned and drew as I cut the corner of block 2, he decided it was time to go elsewhere. I hope I never have to draw it again, let alone use it, but I do think the laser adds an intimidation factor as well as providing easy low light sighting.

As for my practice routine, lots of dry fire. Put a 1" piece of tape on a wall at home and practice your ENTIRE drawstroke through trigger press. GO SLOW and try to make it as perfect as possible. Speed will come with time. When live fire practicing, do the same. Shooting the pistol is almost secondary to getting a clean, fast draw in a defensive situation. Learn to draw correctly and practice it constantly. I shoot very little in a standard combat stance, I'd say 90% of my live fire practice is turning, walking, moving, using some type of "cover", etc. The more odd positions you can shoot from, the better prepared you'll be if you NEED to do it.

My final point, winchester PDX 230gr HP is the Ranger Bonded in civilian packaging...why not carry a round that has been tested for duty use and proven to be effective? I know I get a little more of a warm and fuzzy with 2 mags full of that...

Broz,

Yes that is the Bianchi. It will fit pretty much any standard 1911. It has a snap left of the hammer. The snap is embedded in a piece of flat metal about 3/8" by 3//4" that stiffens up the leather so when you go to grab the gun, your thumb automatically pops the snap loose. Note that the gun is tilted forward when carried on the right. I carry it positioned almost to my right rear pocket. It is very fast without trying to be fast. You grab the gun (which pops the snap) and draw.

Jeff, nice looking 45! Looks like it shoots well too.

You know me I like my stapleguns (Glocks)....grin.

Holster choices are as personal as pistols, but I'll share my choices. I favor strong-side hip carry. My first holster was a Galco Avenger. It's an OWB style, with friction hold. I chose it because I do not want a retention strap on my CC piece. Never had a pistol fall out.

Sometimes an IWB style is easier to conceal, like going to town in the summertime. So I also have a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster. It's also a friction hold.

For everyday use, out of town, I have been using the Blackhawk Serpa for several years now. I like it for good retention, easy release, and the paddle makes it quick to put on or take off.

I've been wearing a Wilderness Tactical 5-stitch belt fro a few years now, I like it too.

Not the greatest pic, but this is the Galco Avenger with Glock 17,

Galco Summer Comfort, Glock 17,

Blackhawk Serpa, Glock 22,

Went with the S&W M&P's in .40 full size and 9mm compact and the Blackhawk Serpa for open carry (sometimes concealed) and for a more concealed carry I searched high and low. IWB just doens't work on me at all. Prints badly.

I finally heard about this company, Kangaroo Carry, and checked out their deep concealment harnesses/holster: Kangaroo Carry There's spot for 2 extra magazines and a set of cuffs as well. I use the Air Marshal version.

They are comfortable, all day carry--for me. I get the gun and accessories off of my waist making it much easier to do many routine things throughout the day that are much more difficult with a gun on your waist. Just took one of these off after wearing it several hours today. May not be quite as easy to get to your gun, but that may be debateable as well. However, in the meantime, for me, I'm much more likely to carry it because of how these things work. Again, just me, but I know I would carry much less otherwise.

Great thread, Broz. Thanks for starting it. This is a very critical area for all of us that do carry to be exposed to sound concepts and the more that chime in, the more we'll learn.

I have two primary carry systems (1) a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail Commander 1911 45ACP and (2) a Glock 23 Gen 4 40 Cal. Both are carried in Raven Concealment Phantom IWB/OWB holsters. I carry both 330 behind the right hip with a horsehide gun belt. Exceptional comfort with quick assess to boot. I am exceptionally accurate with both and neither has ever failed me.

/Users/test/Desktop/IMG_0646.JPG

I also am a 1911 man and believe the Kimber brand is a winer I like night sights, al frame (for weight only) ss slide (so no holster rust on steelframe) and thin grips (so easy to conceal with iwb holster)
and no ambi safety (digs into your side) Stainless Ultra TLE ll meets these specs -- GL

I carry a Glock 22 in 40 S&W daily in a cross breed holster.
The low slide height makes it point like a dream and if I ever have to use it odds are probably wont be time to use the sights anyway.
On Marring and burrying days I carry a S&W model 60 in a pocket holster.

Try the Sig 938 it shoots like a full sized 1911 but carries much better - with good hp like Critical Duty in 9mm a very nice iwb carry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.