Best Carry Options

Looks good Broz. Whenever i get a new carry weapon i like to run a hundred rounds of ball and at least 50 rounds carry ammo to break it in before it goes to work.

Nice Jeff
I like it, its not flashy and all shiny like a 57 Chevy. I like hornady critical defense as a carry ammo in my .40. I have been considering a laser also, I think my wife might benefit from the laser in the heat of the moment, it just seems like it would be easier for her to get the laser on target. Especially on follow up shots..

For me it boils down to weight and size. I started out with a Glock 19, and decided it was too wide and too heavy for IWB carry. Then I tried my wife's Glock 26. It was still too wide for comfort. So I tried a friend's Sig Sauer 938, and loved it. It is very compact, light weight, and pleasant to shoot. It is engineered such that it has very little rise when fired, even though it is so light.

To those who have laser sights on your carry weapons: do you really think you will take the time to find the laser dot on your attacker?
I sure hope not!! If they are armed and pose an immediate threat to you (are very close), you had better be perfectly comfortable aiming and firing instinctively at close distances (out to 20-25 yards).

to those who have laser sights on your carry weapons: Do you really think you will take the time to find the laser dot on your attacker?
I sure hope not!! If they are armed and pose an immediate threat to you (are very close), you had better be perfectly comfortable aiming and firing instinctively at close distances (out to 20-25 yards).

absolutely agree!!

To those who have laser sights on your carry weapons: do you really think you will take the time to find the laser dot on your attacker?
The laser is just another aiming device that's all you don't have to be dependent on it. You don't have to remove the sights to install a laser.

The laser is just another aiming device that's all you don't have to be dependent on it. You don't have to remove the sights to install a laser.
I agree, but I am afraid the laser dot is a crutch that becomes relied upon. And one should not use either the steel sights or the laser dot in a personal defense situation.

I would say in the heat of any real point blank situation all sights will go out the window and instinctive will kick in. The laser may be more of a novelty, but does add some dry fire practice advantage, or when practicing for precision. Plus I shoot the heads off many rattle snakes every year. I am anxious to test the ability of the laser for that.

I pray I will never be forced to use this on another human being. That is not the soul reason I upgraded. But if so, I choose to be well practiced for it. However, the reality of me using this on other critters that pose a threat to me is very high. It will be used.

Jeff

Guys I would like to hear from you as to how you carry safe. In regards to one in the pipe? Hammer back? on a 1911 style handgun.

Also I should say that I was not stuck on any type or brand. I have tried many. I just could not force myself to like some of the new trigger pulls that are 3/4 of an inch long. I found them disgusting. I was told over and over but every time I broke the trigger on a 1911 type it was like a breath of fresh air. Old habits are hard to break, so I choose to not fight that battle.

Jeff

Loaded, locked, and cocked. Releasing the safety upon target aacquisition has to be as subconscious as breathing. If safety is a concern, using a holster with a thumbrake that fits between the cocked hammer and frame can be used, but that is one more step to worry about when motor reflexes are the only thing that will keep you alive. IMO.

Full mag, 1 in the pipe, cocked and locked and at least one other full mag in a pocket.

At the range, I've run into some who carry other brands and type semi's with an empty chamber and de-cocked. They have their reasons and I guess it works for them. At a CC course attended a while back, those that carried this way were consistently longer in time between recognition of a problem to getting the first round off. None of them could complete a Tuller drill successfully before they drew, cocked the gun and fired. Those that carry cocked and locked, including myself, got it done most of the time.

On the spare mag: For me, I usually carry it in a left side pant pocket, top down, facing left. Nothing else in that pocket either. In other words, when I go for the mag, it naturally goes into the hand ready to insert without fumbling. My left thumb is on the primer of the top round and the heel of the palm on the baseplate ready seat it in the magwell firmly.

On sights: The one time I did draw, I don't remember seeing sights. It was after dark but there were street lights. Same sights as Broz' gun.

There is one more aspect to this way of life that hasn't been mentioned and that is 'Situational Awareness.' It IS far easier to stay in command of a situation when you recognize a threat, real or perceived, at a distance. With distance there is time to sort out your options. When you get surprised near or inside your personal space, your choices are fewer and there is less time to come up with an alternative plan.

I back this all up with a prayer that I'll never need to use any of this equipment, training or practice on anything with 2 legs and a vertical spine.

Pete

Broz

As far as safe carry goes - I do carry with one in the tube, cocked and locked. The holster helps augment safety. See photo. I won't say it is impossible for the hammer to come down while the gun is in the holster but I'm thinking you have a better chance of winning Powerball than having the gun discharge while in the holster. The lever safety just left of the hammer is completely covered by the holster in addition to the leather strap blocking the hammer. Note - there is no grip safety on the Detonics. I'd be more concerned about screwing up as you are drawing the weapon.

Attachments

• Detonics 45 in Bianchi Blackwidow holser.jpg
    Detonics 45 in Bianchi Blackwidow holser.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
Eng 101, Thanks to you as well for the info you offer.

Is that the Bianchi #5 "Blackwidow" holster ? I wonder if the Kimber compact would fit well? Does it have a snap in back?

I am carrying today right side OBL. The BlackHawk does not feel well when wore on my left side to cross draw. I might need to explore a different venue for that.

The steel night sights on this Covert II are pretty good sights. My eyes find them quickly. Much more so than the other all black sights like on the Crimson carry II. So if not going instinctive in close I think they do bring something to the table.

Good info here Pete, and I share your prayer.
There is one more aspect to this way of life that hasn't been mentioned and that is 'Situational Awareness.' It IS far easier to stay in command of a situation when you recognize a threat, real or perceived, at a distance. With distance there is time to sort out your options. When you get surprised near or inside your personal space, your choices are fewer and there is less time to come up with an alternative plan.
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.