Concealed Carry for Women

webs

I'm looking for a concealed carry pistol for my fiance. I guess I would like suggestions or recommendations as to what models would be more friendly to someone with small hands and maybe more recoil sensitive. I was thinking a smaller 22 revolver.

I'm no expert, but I am going through the same thing with my daughter. She has had difficulty with most of the "standard" size 9mm's. Working the slides was a challenge for her. Firing them she liked the larger size Sig, and I suspect it was less recoil in the heavier firearm. I bought an SP 101 in .22, and the trigger pulls were off the scale literally. It's at the smiths, and hopefully enough reduction can be reduced to the point reliability and fun are maintained. I just looked at Smith and Wesson model 60 3 inch, out of the pro shop, and it was nice size, and the action was quite nice. Stay away from magnum loads and it would be worth a look. Make sure to bring her with you for her input. Good luck!

Well guys small revolvers are not the best choice at all, lots of people seam to think they are, but they are truly a "masters weapon" when employed in a defensive situation under stress.

My wife carry's every day a G19 gen3 in her purse, I made her this holster for the pistol. Do not expect a woman to carry on her body, its impractical with today's clothing styles in the summer months for most.

Pistols I would consider are G19, G26, walther PPS, ruger lcp, don't get pulled into the "gun shop talk". With today's modern bullets even the little 380 acp is quite effective and should be considered.

Lastly while I will advocate for everyone to carry until the day I die, make sure you get your loved ones proper training from reputable instructors with long and established track records.

Jon

A gal that is a close friend of mine just decided to carry. She signed up for an NRA course that included shooting several types of handguns, both autos and revolvers. The course is required to get a license. She came way with a very strong preference that she handled and shot very well. She also knew what she didnt want. Showed me the targets shot at 7 yards all in a 4" cluster. She picked the S&W JFrame in 38 Soecial. 3" barrel. She never fired a handgun before taking the course.

Thanks for the replies. I have heard the recoil on the Ruger LCP is kind of wicked. Granted if you got new grips and a 13 # wolf spring I guess its reduced quite a bit.

I guess sometime this week I better take her to Scheels and Cabelas and start looking at pistols with her. I think 380 or 38 special would be the largest caliber I would want her handling.

Training is essential, ammo improvements have made handguns of all types more effective. In our particular case my daughter went to a women's class here, and after handling many of the semi autos, didn't find one she liked. If she keeps at it her taste may change.

My fiance went through an NRA safety course that included a concealed carry but she didn't get a chance to handle many pistols.

I know a half dozen or gals that carry. Every one has a revolver. A couple mention that the clip is difficult for them to load on the auto and they don't fit their hands as well. The also like the simplicity and can hit what they aim at.

Good suggestions thus far. Also the LC380 may be good for recoil sensitive.

Also, the corneredcat website is one I recommend all ladies read if they are considering a CCW. There are others that address the subject, but this one is written by a gal that knows her stuff and has some good pointers men don't think of (obviously).

I was on cornered cat reading a few articles last night. I have a feeling that I will end up finding a new pistol for myself as well. I have an xdm compact in 40 that just seems too big to carry all the time. I always find myself reaching to see if I'm printing. I also carry a lot less than I used too.

One overwhelming them I am getting from all the responses to this thread, is that all the examples given by individuals result from, or can be attributed to, the lack of training and or experience level of the individual. This is the main reason I steer people away from the small j frame sized revolvers. Sure they fit smaller hands well, but they have at most depending on the caliber 6 rounds. 6 rounds of ammunition is NOT enough in my opinion.

I have had her shoot several hundred rounds through my buckmarck but she is unable to operate my xdm or 1911. (Operate the slides and the 1911 is too big for her hands)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.