A good accurate concealed carry pistol

The Ranger T is just the newest generation of the original BT. Then you have the Remington Golden Sabre. Speer Gold Dot. That was it for the name brand premium that I have had experience with.

The Winchester white box old style HP, Probably can still find the no frills Remington HP too.

Then you have the smaller makers, who put out a decent product as well.

Between EMS and LE I've seen and treated a GSW or two. A .22 will kill if properly placed but is it the best choice? Someone that knows how to use a knife can do a lot of work while bleeding out from a .22

I agree on pretty much everything you said. You obviously have a ton of experience and I appreciate that you share it.

Although I am one who commented about carrying a .22 WMR earlier in this thread I do still agree with your comment about .22s. Especially with how much worse the drug situation has gotten over the past few years, I wouldn't want to depend on one.

Still, for those who are recoil sensitive, I'd be curious how a good defense oriented .22 WMR would do compared to a .380.

And then there's the new 5.7x28?

Like you, and others, have said- a but ton of practice is absolutely critical and that is much more likely to happen if the person is comfortable shooting their gun of choice.

That is the same at least in my county here in Florida. When all the riots and looting were happening, our sheriff said on the news something to the effect of don't come to our county most of the residents own gun and will shoot. And if you don't own a gun he was encouraging residents to go buy one. Gotta love Grady Judd.

There is a fella named Massad Ayoob who teaches defensive gun classes. And from what I understand if you take his class and get into a gun fight. If you followed what he taught he or his team will come to court for you. Not as legal representation but as witness to say how and what you have been taught.
Grady Judd is one of my favorite people. If most law enforcement agencies were run like his we could start to clean this country up.

Mr Pockets, I have killed a lot of coyotes with the 22 Mag, and the killing power is shocking, to say the least. My gut says that the Mag has about 4x more impact on an animal vs the 22 RF with a CCI mini mag 40g HP. I saw a large Mountain Lion shot out of a tree with a Ruger Single six with the mag cylinder, and he hit the ground dead., 40g Win Hp.

The Advantage of the 22 Mag becomes very apparent to a woman, a person who is recoil-sensitive, and a person with smallish hands.

Last edited:
Mr Pockets, I have killed a lot of coyotes with the 22 Mag, and the killing power is shocking, to say the least. My gut says that the Mag has about 4x more impact on an animal vs the 22 RF with a CCI mini mag 40g HP. I saw a large Mountain Lion shot out of a tree with a Ruger Single six with the mag cylinder, and he hit the ground dead., 40g Win Hp.

The Advantage of the 22 Mag becomes very apparent to a woman, a person who is recoil-sensitive, and a person with smallish hands.

You may feel a little bit under-gunned by an assailant that weighs 260-300 lbs with heavy clothing in the Winter, then again, you could put 20+ shots on target in a few seconds.

I like Springfield XDM with its 9mm 20-shot capacity, but the M&P 22 Mag with its 31-shot capacity is interesting. I shot the Kel Tec also, and it is a dream to stick in your waistband in a cross-draw, a very light gun with little recoil.

After shooting both the M&P and the Kel Tec, it is all too obvious that it would be very easy to keep a LOT of shots on target.

My biggest concern would be the meth fueled doper hell bent on self destruction.
They can take one HELL of a lickin and keep on tickin, and Id be a little concerned about that little bullet knocking him down.

Hate to say it, the premier .357 magnum 125 jhp a round that actually , generates hydrostatic shock out of revolvers, has failed against hyped up individuals.

45 acp Speer signature 200 gr flying ashtray bullet ( no longer made machine wore out) have failed and the stories indicate multiple round counts.

Mas Ayoob had a article page in several publications over the years, where he talked about failures, so did Bill Jordan, Coopers Corner. Guns and Weapons for law enforcement, Forensic periodicals and a few others all list failures against hyped up individuals.

Caliber and bullet type didn't really matter.

Mr Pockets, for those, only a headshot will probably suffice, or a caliber large enough to penetrate and break their spine.

My brother-in-law was a LAPD Sgt in the Hollenbeck Division. He shot a guy on drugs 6 times in the chest with a 38 special and it never even slowed the bad guy down. The shoot-out was one of those affairs where each was shooting at the other at fairly close range. His partner with the shotgun took the bad guy out. Another Retired LEO friend told me on a fishing trip that his first day on the job as Atlanta PD, he shot a guy 5 times in the chest with a 38, and the guy lived. He went to see the guy in the hospital, and the guy swore he would kill him one day.

I Pray that all we ever shoot is paper targets.

Looking for another pistol to carry. I've always been a 1911 40-45 guy but keeping them concealed isn't easy lol. Just looking to see what some of you suggest.
I have hands on the larger side, and could never get a compact Glock or something like a Kimber Micro to fit my hand.
I do have a G17 and G20, and the G20 is my hunting carry gun.
In my rotation, I have Kimber Custom Shop Officer's model, Sig P230, vZ.82 and Remington R51.
I only OWB carry. The Kimber is the hardest to conceal because of its width.
The vZ.82 carries in a holster that looks like a map case. In Marxist Portland, no one has ever suspected what it was. A woman once asked me what it was, and I said it was my map case for hiking at Forest Park (rather than say NOYFB).
The Sig P230 and Remington R51 get the most use. Both are natural pointers to me. Slim, no snag designs, easy to unholster. I often forget that I am wearing them.
The R51 has a lot of bad press around it. Yes, it's extremely finicky about what you feed it. I have that dialed in.
What I can say about it, it is the best trigger among all my carry pistols and allows for super-fast double-taps. My Glocks feel dull and heavy by comparison, and even the Timney trigger on my G20 feels mushy.

Am I understanding you correctly that it isn't really a striker style pistol but rather a light trigger pull with something in front of the trigger when holstering?
Shaughn explained it pretty well, but yes, something unintentionally actuates the trigger and there is not a mechanical failure inherent to the striker-fired mechanism.

The triggers in striker-fired guns are not quite as light as the average single-action, but light enough to not easily notice in a properly tight holster.
The bullet of choice.... need the antelope with the bowl of popcorn..... that's even more controversial than Berger - Sierra - Hornady - Hammer.......
This isn't at all controversial, just use HSTs and be happy. ;)

Thanks for all the good info, and particularly to @eshell for condensing half the internet discussions on ND with striker-fired pistols into a few paragraphs.

As far as the 21 foot rule, that assumes the guy with the gun remains stationary; if he doesn't, things change. Doug Marcaida, the Kali martial arts guy from Forged in Fire has made some videos about this. Frankly, I wouldn't take on Doug with a 12 gauge.

And good info on the USCCA scam; let's face it, most insurances are scams.

As to public defenders, the likelihood that any of us here, where we argue about whether a $1000 scope is good enough, will qualify for one is slim.

But, particularly in home invasion, here in Montana doubt we would be charged. In Florida Sheriff Judd might give us medals. So, like real estate, location, location, location.

Here's Doug's video: