Heavy gun. Need a good sling/carry strap for Western hunting

WAC M TRAC M

I am putting together my first long range rifle. I had Savage custom build a long action 7mag with a bull barrel, accu stock, accu trigger, model 10.style bolt.....

Anyway the gun is really heavy and the barrel is long and front heavy. It doesn't like regular slings to well. The barrel makes it tough to carry. I'm sure there are guys on here with similar guns. How do you tote them. I live in Texas so no problems going to blinds and sitting but this guns purpose will be for hunting in the mountains and hiking around alot. I'm new on here. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Man Eberalstock makes some cool stuff. That mini me pack is perfect. I've been hunting here in TX with a Tikka T3 in 243. The gun is awesome super accurate and light as a feather. Have taken some huge axis deer with it.

The new Savage weighs at least double..I have been looking at scopes and was going to get a vortex razor 5x20x but the scope is really heavy. Might go with the viper PST instead. Now to decided on FFP or SFP.

Looks great...I'll try it...Im still getting that Eberalstock pack as well..they both look great...In the mean time I'll be hitting the weights to get in shape...lol

I know this is an old thread but I am curious what you guys use as a rifle sling for a top heavy rifle? I only put my rifle in my pack 10 percent of the time so the rest of the time it is slung on my shoulder and I have my pack on my back. My butler sling doesn't cut it with my new rifle. What other options are there or should I just make my own?

The backpack sling worked. You have to play with it a bit and adjust it just right. Last year on my hunt in CO. I scaled up and down a 25 wall of mt above tree line to get to elk below. Was able to do it every day and hiked an average of 8 miles with my 12lb rifle on my back. It worked well. It got tangled
in my hydro bladder pack a few time but I adjusted it for it and no problems.

I use a safari sling that I got from Cabela's years ago. Works great and I love it. Comfortable to carry all day. I also like the ability to quick draw with in when hunting in the trees. The only down side to it is that if you use a back pack it doesnt work as well, but if you use a fanny pack or a vest like I do this is the way to go. You can check them out at Cabela's under the shooting section.

The backpack sling is the same. With a backpack it's hard to take the gun off you back without it hanging up on something. The gun scabbard is the only way if you need a pack but it moves my turrets on my Viper PST so you have to reset em before a shot

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.