Advice for hunting western Kansas?

Bob lee

This will be my second trip out west but my first in 15 years . Will be hunting unguided on a friend's lease in southwest Kansas. I have nothing to compare it to as an Eastern treestand hunter. Any tips/advice/insight hunting related or otherwise is greatly appreciated.

I hunted West Kansas this past December. My wife's family has a good bit of land right along the Colorado border, but I went down to Cimmaron Grasslands to try to find a denser deer population. Found a coyote and some tracks, but that was it. What town are you going to be close to?

Bob,

As a native Kansan I would say the trick to harvesting game in the state is to locate your target animal. A good pair of binoc's and maybe a spotting scope would be valuable. Depending on where you are out west, a lot of guys drive the section roads in the early am and right before dark to see where the deer are moving and try to make a plan for the next morning/evening. Good luck with your adventure.

Western Kansas is long range city. Glass, glass and glass. Really depends on what the lease looks like, creekbed, wheat, corn, CRP, canyons? Lots of variability. I would look at it on Google Earth 1st and get an idea. I can Google property and know exactly where to be just from the images.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts