Concealed Carry for Women

I will spend a few months looking and deciding with her. Tomorrow we are picking up her Benelli Montefeltro 20ga. Maybe she can just open carry that. :D
gun)

One overwhelming them I am getting from all the responses to this thread, is that all the examples given by individuals result from, or can be attributed to, the lack of training and or experience level of the individual. This is the main reason I steer people away from the small j frame sized revolvers. Sure they fit smaller hands well, but they have at most depending on the caliber 6 rounds. 6 rounds of ammunition is NOT enough in my opinion.

How many is enough? Round count is a factor, but other parameters also govern choice. I'd take a Contender over a sharp stick. I have Sig P225 that I'm getting attached to, I prefer single stacks I generally shoot them better, I also have an XD that holds over twice as much ammo I don't believe that alone makes it twice as good for defending myself. In the back country I'm more likely to have a single action 44 Blackhawk, the double actions just seem a heavier as I've gotten older. Preference in what one chooses to defend themselves with, begins with what they wish to defend themselves from. Elmer Keith wanted a handgun able to take down a range bull if needed, or a horse if you were hung up getting dragged. Doesn't describe my needs. Others train with a pistol to fight their way to a rifle. Also not me. I'm not called to approach suspicious cars, crowds, barricaded individuals, and if body armor is a factor likely they want the house across the street. Home invasion here is a real concern here a basic firearm in reach beats those locked in the safe. A comfortable firearm thats fun to practice with is a legitimate place to start. The net is full of videos of women being overmatched with a firearm as their first trainer, its not safe, productive, or conducive to someone interested, becoming interested in further training. I know that latter part isn't what you're talking about, and isn't directed your way at all. I see where you're from, and in that environment I can understand why you might feel the need for something drum fed. As yet we aren't limited here to how many firearms we can own, making the decision on one gun to do it all is not necessary. I'd love to see my daughter get interested enough go way beyond the basic first steps. I'm definitely in tune with your call for more formal training for all of us.

Good suggestions thus far. Also the LC380 may be good for recoil sensitive.

Also, the corneredcat website is one I recommend all ladies read if they are considering a CCW. There are others that address the subject, but this one is written by a gal that knows her stuff and has some good pointers men don't think of (obviously).

Thanks for the link I'll pass it on.

How many is enough? Round count is a factor, but other parameters also govern choice. I'd take a Contender over a sharp stick. I have Sig P225 that I'm getting attached to, I prefer single stacks I generally shoot them better, I also have an XD that holds over twice as much ammo I don't believe that alone makes it twice as good for defending myself. In the back country I'm more likely to have a single action 44 Blackhawk, the double actions just seem a heavier as I've gotten older. Preference in what one chooses to defend themselves with, begins with what they wish to defend themselves from. Elmer Keith wanted a handgun able to take down a range bull if needed, or a horse if you were hung up getting dragged. Doesn't describe my needs. Others train with a pistol to fight their way to a rifle. Also not me. I'm not called to approach suspicious cars, crowds, barricaded individuals, and if body armor is a factor likely they want the house across the street. Home invasion here is a real concern here a basic firearm in reach beats those locked in the safe. A comfortable firearm thats fun to practice with is a legitimate place to start. The net is full of videos of women being overmatched with a firearm as their first trainer, its not safe, productive, or conducive to someone interested, becoming interested in further training. I know that latter part isn't what you're talking about, and isn't directed your way at all. I see where you're from, and in that environment I can understand why you might feel the need for something drum fed. As yet we aren't limited here to how many firearms we can own, making the decision on one gun to do it all is not necessary. I'd love to see my daughter get interested enough go way beyond the basic first steps. I'm definitely in tune with your call for more formal training for all of us.
I hear you, these things are all situational as far as need goes, but the OPs need is stated. I see these situations a lot, where guys try to pick for the women. I offer this advice not as me selection a pistol for a woman but an an observer who has seen man a man go down this path before, trying to steer the decision of the women. Also the point you made about new shooters being "over matched" is spot on, they have to enjoy it.

I was luck or unlucky how ever you want to look at it. When my wife became a police officer she was already a hunter and had a general understanding of most firearms, much more than most of her cohorts. She promptly confiscated my gen 3, glock 19 for her own.

To address your question of "how much is enough" there is no correct answer for every situation, except that there is no such thing as to much ammunition. I think we have all heard the old wives tail about how the 45. will stop a man with one shot and a 9mm just zips right threw them? I know I have, well what that really comes down to is shot placement. A pistol is just so much harder to master than a rifle and once a base level of training is established it takes constant up keep to maintain it. Add the stress of a violent confrontation to either firearm and the mind shuts down and reverts to what it was trained, if it was trained wrong or has not been trained to the point that it fights threw the mental block you will not stand a chance in hell of coming out on top.

Important to note is as a "civilian" we all have a duty to retreat unless our lives or the lives of others at on the line. You have to ask yourself in that critical moment "is some one going to die" if the answer is yes you cannot hesitate and you cannot ever take it back.

My goal in this is to be able to narrow down a selection of say 5-6 quality pistols and then allow her to make a decision off of that. Until we started dating she had never held a firearm much less shot one and now she has shot her first pheasant, shoots in a female sporting clays program, goes duck/goose hunting with me and will be deer hunting for the first time this fall. I never have pushed her too any of this she just loves it.

My goal in this is to be able to narrow down a selection of say 5-6 quality pistols and then allow her to make a decision off of that. Until we started dating she had never held a firearm much less shot one and now she has shot her first pheasant, shoots in a female sporting clays program, goes duck/goose hunting with me and will be deer hunting for the first time this fall. I never have pushed her too any of this she just loves it.

If you were closer she could rummage through the safe, find what she likes, and then go shoot it. This is the tough part trial and error being part of the process, and error costing several hundred dollars. If you have old gun nuts in your circle of friends and family, many old gun nuts don't mind being asked. Anytime you can move firearms discussion away from the counter to where you can send rounds downrange is a plus.

Well we looked at three pistols before picking up her shotgun at Scheels.

The Ruger LCP 380 feels like a toy with a lot of slop between the slide and action. The trigger is a very long heavy pull as well. Pulling back the slide wasn't too difficult. I have heard from many sources that the recoil from this really beats up the meat between your thumb and trigger finger. Approximate price is $300.

The Taurus 738 380- Well the size is the only thing I like about this thing. The slide lock can barely be pushed in to close the action. I could barely even do it. I have to admit that there are no sharp edges. Even the sights on the top are non existent. Approximate price is $300.

The Sig P238 380- This gun is a real nice piece. The action is extremely easy to open and close. The fit and finish are great and it feels great in your hand. The trigger is decent not to light and fairly crisp. In with is being in every way better than the other two pistols it is also twice the price at $680.

Well the next stop will be Cabelas to see what they have in stock.

The 70+ year old Walther PPK is another compact 380 that shoud be checked out. It is reliable, well balanced, accurate, and compact. it has been argued that no one has really improved on it's design when it comes to 380 autos. I know a gal that has had one for her carry pistol for many years, and she sure knows how to use it.

I'm hearing great things about the Walter PPQ M2.
Great ergonomics, great trigger, reliable, and won't break the bank...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts