Carry pistol for CO elk trip

I've been quite so far but this is a dumpster fire, I'll take 15 rounds over 6 al day, the 10mm is more than adequate and my personal choice as well, your rifle is to long to swing and limits you to one shot and I apologize in advance but the WaterHead that suggested " You will be better off with bear spray than a pistol"
Is a fool, all I'm gonna say is I hope the wind is right when you pull your trusty can out, suite yourself but don't put other folks lives in jeopardy over what you think, in the end it's a personal choice but again I'll take 15 rounds of 10mm over 6 of anything else

Last edited:
I've tried to stay out of the fight too. So all I'll say is that my personal choice is my G20 because personally I feel more comfortable and have more confidence in it.
IMO you are 100% correct about spray. With the wrong wind you can easily take yourself and anyone with you out of the fight. Last thing you want to do is give a charging bear another leg up on you.

If the bear is far enough away to get off more than 1-2 shots, you will be arrested for killing an endangered species (in the lower 48).
With my 10MM 15+1, I can give a warning shot and even 6 shots if needed. Let me see you do that with your 329. I will gladly take the chance of being arrested alive than 6 feet under.
Even a 180 in a 10 vs a 320 in a 44, in like comparing a 300 BO to a 300 WinMag.
It's not all a matter of energy but also penetration, and there are plenty of tests out there.

How many bears have you shot with your 10MM ?
None yet, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

[QUOTE="ButterBean, post: 2203124, " You will be better off with bear spray than a pistol"
Is a fool, all I'm gonna say is I hope the wind is right when you pull your trusty can out
[/QUOTE]
Well I'll add some fuel. I've been around, killed, treed, baited, harassed 100's of black bears. Since this thread was about CO. I'm only speaking about black bears as I have no experience with Griz. I can tell you from first hand experience that bears spray stops them retreats them better than a gun. Every time I have seen a gun used to stop a attacking/charging black bear the bear has gotten to inflict his damage too. Bear spray has stopped them and they whirl in there tracks. For one you have a larger radius for a good hit than a bullet. In a tense quick situation is really hard to make perfect hits, where as bear spray you just have to be close.

Anyways carry what you comfortable with and be able to get it quickly with black bears you will likely never need either.

[QUOTE="ButterBean, post: 2203124, " You will be better off with bear spray than a pistol"
Is a fool, all I'm gonna say is I hope the wind is right when you pull your trusty can out
Well I'll add some fuel. I've been around, killed, treed, baited, harassed 100's of black bears. Since this thread was about CO. I'm only speaking about black bears as I have no experience with Griz. I can tell you from first hand experience that bears spray stops them retreats them better than a gun. Every time I have seen a gun used to stop a attacking/charging black bear the bear has gotten to inflict his damage too. Bear spray has stopped them and they whirl in there tracks. For one you have a larger radius for a good hit than a bullet. In a tense quick situation is really hard to make perfect hits, where as bear spray you just have to be close.

Anyways carry what you comfortable with and be able to get it quickly with black bears you will likely never need either.
[/QUOTE]
I'm sure it does but I'll not chance the wind blowing it back in my face or any other direction other than the Bear, "where as bear spray you just have to be close." I'm glad it's working for you but IMO that's still a reckless recommendation