Remjngton .280 Elk Trip

Willy34jc

I wanted to run some stuff by some more experienced hunters. My buddy and I are taking our first trip for Elk/Mule deer. I have decided to take my Remington 700 BDL .280 Remington that was willed to me after a dear friend passed. I wanted to share my set-up and get some input from people who have more experience than me.

I don't plan on shooting over 600 yards (that is long-range for me) Based on my ballistic data the Tech guy at Barnes said the bullet needs 1600 fps to fully open. I am shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX at 2850 fps. I am in the process of purchasing a Leupold VX-3 CDS 4.5-14 x 40 mm scope. I shot at 300 yards the other day with the current Leupold VX-2 3-9 power and shot a 1.75 inch group. Any tips for this set-up? I am lucky that my club has a 500 yard range I plan on using all summer. Thanks.

Mike

I wanted to run some stuff by some more experienced hunters. My buddy and I are taking our first trip for Elk/Mule deer. I have decided to take my Remington 700 BDL .280 Remington that was willed to me after a dear friend passed. I wanted to share my set-up and get some input from people who have more experience than me.

I don't plan on shooting over 600 yards (that is long-range for me) Based on my ballistic data the Tech guy at Barnes said the bullet needs 1600 fps to fully open. I am shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX at 2850 fps. I am in the process of purchasing a Leupold VX-3 CDS 4.5-14 x 40 mm scope. I shot at 300 yards the other day with the current Leupold VX-2 3-9 power and shot a 1.75 inch group. Any tips for this set-up? I am lucky that my club has a 500 yard range I plan on using all summer. Thanks.

Mike

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I'm sure your current load will work just fine. However, IIWY, I'd seriously look into Berger 168 or 180 VLDs.

Happy safe hunting!

I have had great results out of my 300 wm with 168 TTSX on elk and mule deer. I love the 280 (ackley) and would use mine without hesitation on elk and Mule deer. I would caution you to not take shots past 500 yards if that's the furthest you shoot in prep for the hunt. Shooting at a living animal is not the time to try 600 if you never practiced.
Good luck to ya.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.