Best Caliber Rifle Elk

All of the rifle and caliber suggestions given here are perfect ... for the guys who use them, but they are not you. Everyone tends to believe their setup is the best. Here's my advice, but it won't be about specific caliber or rifle.
Since you are new to big game and elk hunting, I would recommend that you refrain from getting any of those calibers that hurt in both directions and/or tend to weigh a lot. Even big guys are influenced by heavy recoiling rifles, and it's much better to shoot straight than hit harder. Also, even a horse hunt requires lots of walking, so a rig that weighs a lot might not be the best way to go. Get a rifle that fits YOU and that you feel confident about shooting. I have had no trouble killing elk with the .270 Win,. 280 Rem and 30/06. And, although I wouldn't recommend it, the biggest dead bull I ever saw was killed with a .243 Win using a Barnes bullet, and it dropped in its tracks. So, be sure you use a well-constructed bullet. Good luck on your hunt!
A well constructed bullet as stated above is very important. 1/2 of the elk that I've had to chase down from other hunters in my party were not taken cleanly because the bullet did not reach the vitals. In one case it was a day later that I found the elk and used the same caliber 300 WSM but a better constructed bullet.

When you putting in for a Elk tag and you get a Sign what gun you taking ! Ha ha

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20200308_153755.jpg
    20200308_153755.jpg
    807.8 KB · Views: 61
Lots of opinions on caliber but for me elk calibers start .33. Yes I have used .30 cals with different powder volumes and bullets and been successful heck for last three years I watched my wife whack three cows with .25 cal. and quality 100 grain bullets. I personally hunt with 340 WTBY I really like bang flop. Pick a caliber your comfortable with and can shoot a quality bullet with accurately and go have fun. If your hunting Idaho be on the look out for a bonus wolf too :cool:

Ilike my custom .300 weatherby w/ 180-200 gr.accubond bullets. for longrange shots its a wonder. lilgav27"#4 bfuted barrel, lonewolf kevlar-glass bedded stock on a actionized rem 700 .weighs 8lb.w/sling. for another favorite is my semi-custom rem. 700 action w/ slilen barrel done in .338-06 . great w/ 299-225 gr. noslar accubonds also. all we need is hunting season!! Dskiper

Have to agree with Feenix, and Cornshank the 300 WM has been the premier ELK cartridge for many years, and will continue to fill that roll for the foreseeable future, are there new more modern cartridges that will do the job debateably better? Sure, but none that you can find factory ammo for as easily and in as wide an assortment, that makes the question easy to answer, good luck on your elk hunt, it's a fine rabbit hole to jump into.
300 WIN MAG,180 GR NOSLER PARTITION won't disappoint

I've help a lot of guys kill elk, I always prefer them to bring their deer rifles that they are good with than buy an "elk" gun! Seen way more wrecks from guys over gunned than under gunned. Some of the worst shooting and killing I've seen have been guys with light 338s and 300s that way out classed their ability to shoot them, be honest with yourself about your ability to shoot and choose accordingly, what you shoot says zero about your skills and ability as a hunter! My daughter makes killing elk look easy with a 6.5 Creedmore and 124 Hammers, one shot, one tag all day long!
Shot placement and bullet function are what kill elk, that's it! Foot pounds of energy, cal or size of case all have little to nothing to do with successfully and cleanly taking elk, elk don't magically soak up bullets nor are they particular hard to kill, a bullet behind the shoulder mid way up that will open well and shed weight while making it to the off side is all that is required.

Tikka's are on the top of my list in WSM's bottom of the list with Magnums, the mag is just to short to really get most out of longer magnums even when I have set up an ideal 30-06 I did not have the mag room but with a little bolt stop mod and a magnum box and you have the slickest set up for a WSM!!

Last edited:
Ditto on what bigngreen said "Shot placement and bullet function are what kill elk, that's it! Foot pounds of energy, cal or size of case all have little to nothing to do with successfully and cleanly taking elk, elk don't magically soak up bullets nor are they particular hard to kill, a bullet behind the shoulder mid way up that will open well and shed weight while making it to the off side is all that is required."
With that said use the caliber you can shoot and make the best shot. A frien of mine hunts elk with 7mm-08 and 150 grain partitions. Andif you are wanting a new gun 30-06 has an abundant of heavy weight especially for big game choices like others have said you can buy anywhere.
But me personally I like big bores 35 whelen with 225 gr SGK bullets is my go to caliber. If recoil is a factor a simple 2 port brake will help.

I've help a lot of guys kill elk, I always prefer them to bring their deer rifles that they are good with than buy an "elk" gun! Seen way more wrecks from guys over gunned than under gunned. Some of the worst shooting and killing I've seen have been guys with light 338s and 300s that way out classed their ability to shoot them, be honest with yourself about your ability to shoot and choose accordingly, what you shoot says zero about your skills and ability as a hunter! My daughter makes killing elk look easy with a 6.5 Creedmore and 124 Hammers, one shot, one tag all day long!
Shot placement and bullet function are what kill elk, that's it! Foot pounds of energy, cal or size of case all have little to nothing to do with successfully and cleanly taking elk, elk don't magically soak up bullets nor are they particular hard to kill, a bullet behind the shoulder mid way up that will open well and shed weight while making it to the off side is all that is required.

Tikka's are on the top of my list in WSM's bottom of the list with Magnums, the mag is just to short to really get most out of longer magnums even when I have set up an ideal 30-06 I did not have the mag room but with a little bolt stop mod and a magnum box and you have the slickest set up for a WSM!!
Dang Rhian! Long time no hear; nice to see you posting again. I hope all is well.

Ed

Last edited:
Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
You are going to get a lot of opinions on "elk rifles" so here is one more. I have hunted elk for 36 years and I guided for 17 years. I use a 338 Win. Mag and have always found it to be effective. Velocity is, in my opinion, not as important as mass and energy. I've seen 17 bulls lost and all were hit with the high velocity 7mm. The bullets fragmented and failed to compromise both lungs. All the shots were mortal I'm sure, but the animals were never found as they were able to travel far in very difficult terrain. A pass through shot from a 30+ caliber with a minimum 180 grain bullet will normally drop an elk within a 100 to 200 yd distance from initial impact. You have an entry and exit to provide a visible blood trail if the animal does not go down quickly.

Very well said!