Best Binoculars for the money

Low budget option either the Vortex Diamondback or the Cabelas Intensity binoculars. They're surprisingly nice glass and generally my go to "truck glass", particularly on road trips. Just brought a pair of 12 power and a pair of 8 power on a trip through the Beartooth Pass in Wyoming. Excellent glass for the money.

If your budget is more in the $500-$1000 range, there are a lot of options. Maven is good, the Scheels Rage binos (just a private label vortex, but with a different coating) are fantastic, etc. High end you can't go wrong with Zeiss or Swarovski. And actually the Revic line from Gunwerks is pretty awesome too, although I haven't used them extensively (don't own a pair yet), I did use them when I was there for their Long Range University.

Steiner for a budget quality bino as others have said many good Binos out there without knowing your budget hard to say what would work for you. Also what looks good to my eyes may not to yours everyone's eyes are not the same Just my opinion and worth what you paid ;).

Last edited:
I'd call Doug at cameralandny.com, I usually do when I'm looking for specific optics. His staff have never sold me something out of budget or anything I've been unsatisfied with.

They even took my returns on some optics I bought from them. I wasn't unhappy with the optics, I fell off a ladder before a hunt and shattered my leg. Dr told me I would be out of work a minimum of 9 months. I figured I could use the money more than the optics.

If money were no object I'd have a set of Leica Geovids 10X42. I have a set of Minox X-HD binoculars that I got as a warranty replacement for some old 10X42 BL binoculars. I had a prisim come loose in one barrel after 15+ years of abuse. Doug pointed me to them when I had a budget of $500 in the early 2000s and they have worked extremely well.

Last edited:
I have the zeiss terras 10x42. They were around 500$ But I think you can catch deals on them. They are amazing for what I do. Elk, deer, aoudad hunting in west Texas, reading cattle eat tags, that sort of thing. But everyone's eyes are different, the best bet would be to try to find some friends that will let you borrow theirs, look through at different times of day, see how clear it is in the middle and at dusk etc and get what fits you best
X2 on the Terras for the money. I got the orange and gray body for 369.00 on sale

I have both swarovski 10x42 and 10x25 (the little pocket ones). Amazingly enough, the little 10x25's get used much more than the larger ones. They even gather almost as much light as the big ones at dusk so I take little pocket ones on every trip. The FOV isn't quite as good as the larger ones but is likely better than anything else that size. The glass is just as good as the larger ones and I don't really use binos for spotting (have a vortex razor HD for that). Best $900 I ever spent.

And to note, I purchased some zeiss terra ED's 10x42 just to test and could read the numbers on a neighbors mailbox 200 yards down the street with the swarovski 10x25 pockets and not the terras. That's what excellent glass does. The terras got returned to eurooptic.

111 5 star reviews on cabelas.com kind of says it all. They're perfect binos.

Last edited:
If I lost my binos, I'd look on eBay for Swarovski 10x42 with scratch(es) on the lens. It doesn't effect the quality of the glass and it will be cheaper.

As nearly everyone has said, you need to define your budget.

For me, I used to think all my previous models were 'nearly as good' until I got my 10x42 Swarovskis. The difference is amazing where it counts (low light, being able to see game well camouflaged with the vegetation, clarity of details of rack structure, etc). My hunting buddies are routinely not able to see what I'm seeing even when I point it out to them under those types of conditions.

Riton 10x42 are decent. "For the money" suggests you are looking for that point where the price starts to increase disproportionally to the quality improvements and/or features; weight, clarity, waterproofness and antifogging(sealing), warranty. I usually go to about the $500 point and stop.

Crap, a 3 year old thread.

Last edited: