Best Binoculars for the money

I used Nikon Travelite 8x25's for years then my eyes got worse. At a local gun show, tons of bino's to try out. I settled on Vortex Diamondback HD in 10x42. I can count points again and I spent $152 (again at a gun show). Work well in low light too. Many times I have identified shooter bucks with the Vortex binos and was unable to locate the buck through my Nikon Monarch scope. Says a lot about the Vortex.

Right before we went to Alaska this summer, I bought my first pair of Swarovski CL Companion 10x30 binos. They are so much better than any others I have boughten over the years. Thinking EL 10x42s might be under the Xmas tree this year to replace my current hunting binos.

I got a 15X56 Vortex DB HD binoc. Good deal & more than adequate optical quality. Have spent many hours looking at stuff up in sky, like Jupiter's moons & other. Good glass for looking at birds, deers, & elks. Something better would cost 2X-3X more.
IMG_2039.JPG

Last edited:
Too many variables for there to be a concrete answer.

For my style of hunting premium binoculars are not important. I couldn't justify spending over $1,000. IMO identify your upper limit and patiently wait for a great used deal at that upper limit.

Hopefully after 3 years he got some binos
Yes, he should have. I was just in Colorado on an elk hunt and the guide had Swaro 10x42 binos. I did a side by side test of those with my Vortex Fury rangefinders. Was looking at scrub brush at 850 yards. I expected the Swaros to be much better than mine, but I could not tell a difference in clearness or image resolution.

Yes, he should have. I was just in Colorado on an elk hunt and the guide had Swaro 10x42 binos. I did a side by side test of those with my Vortex Fury rangefinders. Was looking at scrub brush at 850 yards. I expected the Swaros to be much better than mine, but I could not tell a difference in clearness or image resolution.
I'd suggest the need for an eye examination.

I'd suggest the need for an eye examination.
Something also must be said for adjusting binoculars on a user basis. It would be like grabbing someone's prescription glasses and thinking they would help you see better because they're magnified.

I compared a lot of binoculars when I bought my Swarovski SLC 10x42s. I'm not sure the Vortex Fury's were out by then, may have been but, I wasn't in the market for a RF binocular. Either way; the Swarovski SLCs were the clear winner at the ~$1k price range, I actually told the guy that I didn't want to look through the Swaros because I didn't want to spend the extra money.

Any experience with Vortex Fury HD 5000 rangefinder 10x42 ? Thinking about getting a pair. They make 2 models, one has a lot more features and can't decide if those are needed or worth the extra $$.

Something also must be said for adjusting binoculars on a user basis. It would be like grabbing someone's prescription glasses and thinking they would help you see better because they're magnified.

I compared a lot of binoculars when I bought my Swarovski SLC 10x42s. I'm not sure the Vortex Fury's were out by then, may have been but, I wasn't in the market for a RF binocular. Either way; the Swarovski SLCs were the clear winner at the ~$1k price range, I actually told the guy that I didn't want to look through the Swaros because I didn't want to spend the extra money.
Swarovski SLC in the $1k price range? Where's that?

Check with cameraland for demo/refurbs. A couple years ago I got some Leica 10x42 rangefinders for $1300. A real good deal then. They've been great on our PDog shoots.

Any experience with Vortex Fury HD 5000 rangefinder 10x42 ? Thinking about getting a pair. They make 2 models, one has a lot more features and can't decide if those are needed or worth the extra $$.
I have the applied ballistics set , hard to beat them for the money. Ballistics program works great and glass is good.