Best rifle case for the money.

Nimrod1203

So, what kind of rifle case is nice and durable, with cut foam insides, that won't break the bank? I know Pelican is great, but was hoping to save some cash. What say ye?
Nimrod

In this case, you get what you paid for. Pun intended:)

others I have seen which may be decent are usually not much cheaper.

Pelican Cases are proven performers.

In this case, you get what you paid for. Pun intended:)

others I have seen which may be decent are usually not much cheaper.

Pelican Cases are proven performers.

+1

There are substitutes but nothing I have found can match the Pelican.

I have tried a few of the others and have delegated them for use going and coming from
the range.

The Pelican is the one for travel and hunting trips.

J E CUSTOM

Pelican's are great but I would save my money and use it towards more important priorities. Quite a few good cases out there. Look at the Plano 108420. $115 shipped on Amazon.

I will have to add my recommendation for the Pelican, Storm cases. The Plano case in the previous post is a great one too but at 42" is too short for my use.

My favorite one is the Pelican/Storm IM3300.

Bob

if your lucky enuf to have a GOOD aluminum fab shop nearby, you can have a case made to fit your needs for about the same money as top of the line pelican. AND, they are "airline gorilla" proof, and lockable with REAL locks and hinges.

I've taken my guns to Alaska many times and had the airlines tear the molding off my gun cases, bust a 1.5x 15" hole in a case to where you could see both my guns inside. Tore a handle off another case. Finally I bought a Cabela's extra long aluminum case and the airline gorillas dented in the end. I had to take a rubber mallet and pound it out so the seam would mate again! I had a $6000 gun/scope in that case. My friends case had the gunbarrel sticking out out of the end seam in the end if his case!!! They hit it that hard! The airlines have bought me two cases and a Zeiss 4x16 scope.
We had enough and bought a Pelican. Nary a problem since. They're scratch a lot but no more dents or cracks. I'll bet our new Pelican cases drives the baggage gorillas into therapy.

I learned the solution to the Airlines problem years ago. When you get to the airport and check in your baggage, tell them you want insurance on your gun case. They'll try to talk you out of it but you should insist. Just buy enough to cover the case, maybe $200-$300 worth of insurance. It's not that expensive, $10-$15. They will put a big orange sticker on the outside of the case. It will be hand carried everywhere it goes. No conveyors, no baggage carts, not baggage gorillas throwing it around. It will be handed to the guy in the cargo hold and hand delivered to you in the baggage claim office. It's the only way to fly with an expensive firearm.

Check out the Plano 108190 on amazon, I find it hard to beat the value of this case for $139. I have the bone collector version because I liked the olive drab green color and then lightly sanded off the bone collector logo. I also have their version of this case for my Mathews bow and neither has let me down. For my rifle I traced the perimeter of my rifle, bolt, bi-pod, and a few boxes of ammo with a box of toothpicks and then removed the items and cut the foam with a serrated knife.

I've taken my guns to Alaska many times and had the airlines tear the molding off my gun cases, bust a 1.5x 15" hole in a case to where you could see both my guns inside. Tore a handle off another case. Finally I bought a Cabela's extra long aluminum case and the airline gorillas dented in the end. I had to take a rubber mallet and pound it out so the seam would mate again! I had a $6000 gun/scope in that case. My friends case had the gunbarrel sticking out out of the end seam in the end if his case!!! They hit it that hard! The airlines have bought me two cases and a Zeiss 4x16 scope.
We had enough and bought a Pelican. Nary a problem since. They're scratch a lot but no more dents or cracks. I'll bet our new Pelican cases drives the baggage gorillas into therapy.

I don't buy it.

here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 66