Best ballistics app?

Strelok pro for me too. Borris gets back to you via email pretty quick of you have issues or want to add a scope reticle to the list.

I also have the wind/weather meter that syncs up via Bluetooth for longer shots -- bought it real cheap and it seems to work well enough for me that I don't want a kestrel
I have that wind/weather meter, it's decent and good enough for the range. But after a few late seasons of gloves off in well below freezing temps and wind trying to hand jam that **** into your phone, it sucks. Going on 3+ years with it.

I have that wind/weather meter, it's decent and good enough for the range. But after a few late seasons of gloves off in well below freezing temps and wind trying to hand jam that **** into your phone, it sucks. Going on 3+ years with it.
Hand jam it into your phone? I just hold the unit up till i get my wind/temp reading rhen put it away-- no need to put that plastic "phone jack holder" into your phone since it links via Bluetooth. I don't bother with that plastic holder thingy. I the wind or temp changes much, then I'll take another reading--- I don't continuously let the wind/weather meter run-- it seems like a waste/hassle. There are other wind/weather meters that will link with strelok also

If your max is 500 to 600 just get the free Streloc app. It worked fine for my dope out to 1000 / 1100 yards then it was off .
I did buy the Shooter app and it's been Amazing for me out 3027 yards .

Just print your data on paper a few times and then put into the app . Double check the info and go check it out at the range !

You are touching into the long range stuff ...becareful its addicting ! Ha ha

Best of Luck to you on your Elk hunt !

Rum Man
SHOOTER!

Hand jam it into your phone? I just hold the unit up till i get my wind/temp reading rhen put it away-- no need to put that plastic "phone jack holder" into your phone since it links via Bluetooth. I don't bother with that plastic holder thingy. I the wind or temp changes much, then I'll take another reading--- I don't continuously let the wind/weather meter run-- it seems like a waste/hassle. There are other wind/weather meters that will link with strelok also
Still have to hand-jam shot data into your phone...just Bluetoothing the wx over doesn't give you a solution. Specifically wind direction and shot az....

Like I said, I've had it 3+ years...its functional for a cheap answer but it's far from fantastic.

Still have to hand-jam shot data into your phone...just Bluetoothing the wx over doesn't give you a solution. Specifically wind direction and shot az....

Like I said, I've had it 3+ years...its functional for a cheap answer but it's far from fantastic.
Are you using the "pro"? My data uploads automatically

It doesn't Bluetooth an accurate wind vs shot az.

Also, at the end of the day, you're still sitting on a rock in single digits, in the snow, with your phone out, regardless of what the app AB, strelok, hornady, etc, they're still cell phone apps.

It doesn't Bluetooth an accurate wind vs shot az.

Also, at the end of the day, you're still sitting on a rock in single digits, in the snow, with your phone out, regardless of what the app AB, strelok, hornady, etc, they're still cell phone apps.
Ok- it's worked well for me . A phone in hand vs a kestrel meter in hand-- seems Like any weather meter is gonna be hand held. Phones or meters can then send solutions to scopes, binos, range finders etc. -- Sigs range finders with weather meters seem to work well too-- in the end-- unless you are running the full SIG scope bdx system you still need to crank dials on a scope too.

That's why there are more than one option-- people like different things

Op stated he usually only shoots to 150y-- but has the opportunity for a possible 500y shot-- on a cost basis I feel the free or paid app will work well for him for a 1x deal -- he might consider a cheepo weather meter too bit it's not necessary if he can get temps/alt/ wind guesses close... the wind is most likely going to be the biggest factor for him if he has to take that 500 y shot -- don't forget the "uphill/downhill: slope angle too.

I feel that around 400yards and further is when variables really start to kick in--300 and under you can "balpark" data and still get good shots. But that's just me-- I put my personal limit on game around 7-800 depending on conditions due to my abilities, gear, and practice distances available to me. Ringing steel is a whole different game.

Good luck to the op-- the most important aspect is practice at the distance you intend to limit your shots to.

Last edited:
I'll cast another vote for Stelok Pro. I use it with everything I shoot including my PCP airgun. Setting up different rifle and cartridge profiles is easy and switching between them is simple. As long as I do my part, it's been right on.

Is there a 2022 consensus on the best ballistics app out there? For hunting purposes, I usually only need to shoot out to 150 max where I currently live, but I have an elk hunt coming up that will require significantly further distances. I really only need a one-time solution, but wanted to get input from those more knowledgeable on the best app for calculations out to 500 yards.
Why don't you just pick an app and then shoot it at 500 to verify, i don't trust none of them i always shoot to verify my distances.
I hope your not just relying on an app.

Recent Posts