Which ballistics app?

Excuse me but, I am 74 years old and entered the use of the word "tweak" into my vernacular at an early age while growing up on a farm. Basically, the word was used to convey fine tune, adjusting to tighter tolerance, improving performance and, well, you get the picture. Perhaps, for people like you who prefer to have articulately composed comprehensive responses, after identifying traits of expression I use from time to time, it might be easier for you to avoid reading any responses written by me. Oh, just so you know what I meant, by the way, is I make an adjustment of the muzzle velocity input in my ballistics table. I have also used adjusting the BC as well but, in the field in a hurry, this works for me. I believe Gunwerks has produced a video explaining how to do it.
You don't mean to be rude? Why are you?
I think I watched the video you were talking about. In it they were starting with an unknown velocity and truing it off of drops. What chronograph are you running? If it's quality that should be an additional variable you've eliminated and no need to "Tweak" Velocity. Published BC's have treated me well but BC is what you should change if every other variable has been eliminated. Somebody call me out if I'm off base, but I think velocity should be a known.

Applied Ballistic was recommended to me by a guy that shoots long ranges. As I don't shoot targets, but only vermin or game, I rely on the first shot being right on the money.(only factory ammo too) This app seems to do just that, certainly out to 750 yards anyway. I also use a WhizWheel based on this app with success too. Old school yeah, but it keeps life interesting.. A friend who shoots a lot of targets out to 13-1600 yards uses Ballistic AE and finds it puts him in the ball park.
Good luck choosing eh.

I think I watched the video you were talking about. In it they were starting with an unknown velocity and truing it off of drops. What chronograph are you running? If it's quality that should be an additional variable you've eliminated and no need to "Tweak" Velocity. Published BC's have treated me well but BC is what you should change if every other variable has been eliminated. Somebody call me out if I'm off base, but I think velocity should be a known.
I
I'm using a Magneto Speed and I have used adjusting the BC to fine tune my POI out shooting targets but when I am hunting and my POI gets out of wack a little bit and I want to make a small adjustment to my ballistics table I adjust the MV a little. Could achieve a more precise adjustment in dialing everything in using the BC I'm sure.

All,

im finally able to shoot some reasonable distance at my house. I cleared out a 650 yard range. Before this I've only been shooting to 400 yards with hold over lines. Now I actually have rifles with MOA target style turrets. My question is I've been using some free software like jbm ballistic, but let's say you set the increments even to 50 yards, what do you do when you have an odd range to target. So for example, let's say you know you moa at 650 yards and at 600 yards How do you know what To dial For something which might be 633 yards? Are there programs where once I load my load information and weather conditions I can then type in my ranges yardage and it will give me back the MOA for that specific range instead of a giant table?
All,

im finally able to shoot some reasonable distance at my house. I cleared out a 650 yard range. Before this I've only been shooting to 400 yards with hold over lines. Now I actually have rifles with MOA target style turrets. My question is I've been using some free software like jbm ballistic, but let's say you set the increments even to 50 yards, what do you do when you have an odd range to target. So for example, let's say you know you moa at 650 yards and at 600 yards How do you know what To dial For something which might be 633 yards? Are there programs where once I load my load information and weather conditions I can then type in my ranges yardage and it will give me back the MOA for that specific range instead of a giant table?

I
I'm using a Magneto Speed and I have used adjusting the BC to fine tune my POI out shooting targets but when I am hunting and my POI gets out of wack a little bit and I want to make a small adjustment to my ballistics table I adjust the MV a little. Could achieve a more precise adjustment in dialing everything in using the BC I'm sure.
Not saying a magnetospeed couldn't give you fits but it's not the first thing I would suspect. If it's a hunting situation where you're seeing slight differences but it worked at the range I would first suspect one of the environmental inputs, temp, pressure, humidity. If those are good one thing to consider is your zero may not be zero. Say you have a 200 yd zero and your environmentals changed significantly (i.e. 4000' higher elevation or something like that) your zero could actually be off just enough for it to give you the impression that your MV changed. I run Ballistic AE and you record your zero environmentals and the environmentals where you're shootings so it solves from your zero back to your muzzle then out to your target. Something that can be easy to overlook. Not sure if that could be a culprit. Hopefully it made sense

I'm a fan of Ballistic AE. Once you save a load as a favorite, you can tweak it based on your real wold DOPE and resave. Then you can simply call up the graphic interface where you can quickly spin the wheels to enter your range and the wind to get a firing solution. As mentioned before, you can also choose to include current weather info, Spin correction, etc. And they have the option to use Litz ballistics for most popular bullets. A lot of value for $10.

Not saying a magnetospeed couldn't give you fits but it's not the first thing I would suspect. If it's a hunting situation where you're seeing slight differences but it worked at the range I would first suspect one of the environmental inputs, temp, pressure, humidity. If those are good one thing to consider is your zero may not be zero. Say you have a 200 yd zero and your environmentals changed significantly (i.e. 4000' higher elevation or something like that) your zero could actually be off just enough for it to give you the impression that your MV changed. I run Ballistic AE and you record your zero environmentals and the environmentals where you're shootings so it solves from your zero back to your muzzle then out to your target. Something that can be easy to overlook. Not sure if that could be a culprit. Hopefully it made sense
Thanks, appreciate the information. I'll stay with using the BC when fine tuning my POI on my ballistics chart from now on.

I was addressing the muzzle fps numbers I enter into my ballistics calculation table which causes a different setting on your scope reticule calculation at the point of impact. I picked this up from Gunwerks ballistics calculator some time ago. By changing the fps in small increments I get a more precise point of impact because it changes the scope settings. You can do the same thing by changing the BC as well. Sorry for the confusion.
Not confused at all

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.