Best "All Around" Bullet for 300 WSM

If your gun is a Tikka it has a 1 in11 twist, over 180s will group fine at 100 maybe fair at2then fall apart at 30 and beyond I loaded Barnes LRX 175. grouped 3 shoots 1 hole at one all over the place at 200, 212 ELDX which I hoped to use on an Elk hunt in a couple weeks. 3 shot group one hole even smaller then the 175 LRX. around and 1" at 200 then 300 and beyond trouble staying on paper. My current 178 ELDX loads 5 shots at 100 less then 1/2" and grouped well out to 530 yards. New Elk load!

What are you guys using out there? I'm talking about an "all around" bullet for antelope and deer up to an occasional elk and shiras moose (if I can ever draw a tag!).

I have a friend who reloads for me and he suggests a 200 grain Accubond or 185 grain Berger VLD. Barnes anyone? Any thoughts? Thanks!
I highly recommend the 185 berger, think its the hybrid hunter. Super accurate in my rifles and an absolute hammer on game. I shot my mule deer with one last year 200 lb plus buck facing almost straight on, through the front shoulder blade recovered in the opposite side hip bone. Absolutely pulped the lungs, and liver and severed the spine. Deer never took a step just fell out of the scope and was DRT when I walked up. Had similar performance on a black bear, through the front shoulder exited through the ribs on the offside one loud bear death moan and he just collapsed. Ive had good performance from the berger in my hunting rifles, the 156 in my 6.5 prc has been superb.

The 180 accubond would be my second choice followed by the eld x For the WSM

Vettepilot, I thought it was a good enough question it deserves it's own thread so you and others can find your answers easily with out sift. No ill intent. Rock on as you see fit. đź‘Ť
James

So for the most "Explosive" I would load up something in the 125gr like the Hornady SST, Speer TNT or Sierra GameChanger and make it scream!

Last edited:
Hornady is just introducing the ELD-VT. Varmint/Target in 168gr. They say 8-10" it goes to a volleyball size wound channel.

Ok, thanks. I'll leave. Manybe one quickie. A good, explosive type 30 bullet in 150--> 168 grain?
(In case 125's won't feed in the semi-auto)

Thanks!
Vettepilot
Again, you can shoot anything in the market albeit old or new, but the the best there is at this time is the 166 Hammer Hunter from deer to elk. I've run them all for two years shy of five decades and there's not a better hunting bullet. You can love me or hate me , it doesn't matter, I've always been open minded. Like many here it's been my life long passion and I'm always striving for seeking out the best. I respect all opinions and real life experiences. I truly don't know anyone personally that's shot more animals than I have and have witnessed nearly every scenario. Hammers, right now kill better from point blank to 1800fps better than any other.