Bullet choice for all around .338 WM load.

Bowman and jro45, Thanks. It seems that the trend of the responses including yours is that I should be looking at 200+ grain bullets instead of 200- even though it will be used more for deer than elk or bear. I will have to give this a little more thought obviously.

Al I made Bill buy some dies a while ago so I'm good there. I would be interested in the barnes bullets because I hear they give great performance over and over again but I know they are spendy and I've heard they copperfoul like nobodys buisness. (And we all know who gets the job of cleaning Bills gun. For the guns sake, not for his.)

You wouldn't happen to have any H4831sc on hand though would you?

[ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't happen to have any H4831sc on hand though would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, but I do have some IMR4350 and some RL22.
Tell your bro to suck it up and buy some powder/bullets/brass/primers. Reloading for the 338 sucks down powder pretty fast.
I know you aren't going to like reloading for it because most of the loads out there are a stick powder and don't meter like you are used to with the 308/ball powder.

Let me look in my Hodgdon manual to see what powders are listed for the 338 and I'll let you know what I have that is compatible. I have a feeling that once you clean his gun with coppermelt it will have some pretty good groups no matter what you load up.

My favorite load for my 338 Win Mag is 69.5 gr of IMR 4350 with a CCI magnum primer behind the 250 gr Sierra Game King. At 65 degrees farhenheit I chronographed them @ 2780 fps. At night when I camp in the bush, I load with the 275 gr Speer Semi Spitzer with 74 gr. of MRP, chronographed the same day as the Sierras @ 2650 fps.

[ QUOTE ]
M 74 gr. of MRP,

[/ QUOTE ]

MRP!!!!! where can ya get that stuff? Was my powder of choice till I ran out years ago.

Nice to see the 338 win folks comin' out of the brush.

Was that MRP the old Winchester Magnum Rifle Powder?
No
Norma made MRP
Great powder MRP
Reloader 22 is almost the same powder
Switched to it in my 270 Win when MRP was hard to fine.
Powder scarce ever since Biden entered offfice
Sportsman Warehouse don't even have powder on the shelf here.

Last edited: