Best ALL AROUND bullet all time

16" 2700 LB (18.9 Million Grains)

The 16 inch guns comprise NORTH CAROLINA's "Main Battery," her most destructive weapon. These big guns provided impressive fire power. They could accurately fire at a target 21-23 miles away, depending on the type of projectile used.

• Weight of armor piercing projectile: 2700 pounds
(shells used to penetrate another ship's armor or reinforced fortifications on shore)
• Weight of high capacity projectile: 1900 pounds
(shells used primarily for bombardment of islands and other land targets)
• Weight of powder charge (six bags): 540 pounds
• Effective range at 45 degrees
• armor piercing projectiles: 21 miles
• high capacity projectiles: 23 miles
• Initial velocity (speed of projectile as it leaves the gun)
• armor piercing projectiles: 1,568 miles per hour (2300 FPS)
• high capacity projectiles: 1,797 miles per hour (2636 FPS)
• BC (classified)
• Rate of fire: 30 seconds per round per barrel
• Gun bore diameter: 16 inches
• Gun barrel length: 61 feet, 4 inches
• Maximum number of projectiles carried aboard ship: 1188
• Rounds fired during action in WWII: 2396
• Gun crew per turret: 3 officers, 177 enlisted

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when the 130 gr Scirrocco II's shot well in my 6.5 rem mag :)

300yds.jpg

Just luck I suppose, but thinking about trying some in my 280AI, I think they make a 150 gr with a BC of .515, $49.49 for a box of 100 is not too bad.

Maybe I'll get lucky again!

.030" off the lands - 3.092" OAL cause it is a rebarrel of a 300 win mag and I had it set up to seat the bullet way out

HPIM1163.jpg

That would be hard to define because it's as individual as the rifle and the person and depends on what it is being used for. I look at the categories of hunting and target shooting. In hunting you occasionally have short range (ugly word here) shots and the bullet needs to be presented so that it stays together long enough to penetrate enough to do tissue damage.
For instance let's take my favorite bullet of all time; the Nosler Ballistic Tip. I'm pushing the 150gn BT out of my 7Mag at 3250fps. If I were to shoot a deer on the shoulder at 50yds the results may be bullet failure. Penetration may suffer and the deer could get away with a very nasty wound, only to suffer and die a miserable death. If I were to put that same bullet between the ear and the eye of that deer (same distance) bullet "failure" would certainly occur but so would skull failure resulting in a very dead deer on the spot. So in the latter case the bullet didn't fail but did exactly what I wanted it to do.
For me, Ballistic Tips are in the top four (Bergers, SMKand TSX) for accuracy and give me the confidence I need to execute a precise shot whether short or long range. They are what they are. JohnnyK.

That would be hard to define because it's as individual as the rifle and the person and depends on what it is being used for. I look at the categories of hunting and target shooting. In hunting you occasionally have short range (ugly word here) shots and the bullet needs to be presented so that it stays together long enough to penetrate enough to do tissue damage.
For instance let's take my favorite bullet of all time; the Nosler Ballistic Tip. I'm pushing the 150gn BT out of my 7Mag at 3250fps. If I were to shoot a deer on the shoulder at 50yds the results may be bullet failure. Penetration may suffer and the deer could get away with a very nasty wound, only to suffer and die a miserable death. If I were to put that same bullet between the ear and the eye of that deer (same distance) bullet "failure" would certainly occur but so would skull failure resulting in a very dead deer on the spot. So in the latter case the bullet didn't fail but did exactly what I wanted it to do.
For me, Ballistic Tips are in the top four (Bergers, SMKand TSX) for accuracy and give me the confidence I need to execute a precise shot whether short or long range. They are what they are. JohnnyK.

It is what it is.:D

Steve

That's a real nice group Woods. I wish I could get mine to do it with that bullet. I have a number for one of their techs and am trying to get a hold of him for more info on loading these.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.