Best 7mm cartridge?

If I was going to select a 7 mm caliber for what you want to do I would choose the old favorite and that would be the .280 Ackley Improved. It's right up there with the 7mm Magnum and is easy enough to change from a standard .280 chambering to the Improved by simply having it rechambered. Any Good Gun Smith can do it by just getting a Reamer and changing it to the Improved or simply re- barrel any good long action! There is nothing special about the Brass which can be Fire Formed from just shooting Standard .280 Ammo in it in the New Chambering or buying Brass or Loaded Ammo. I know A Square use to offer it in factory Loading's and possibly others as well. I think Practical and this is very much so without going Broke doing it. Look at the stat's on the Improved, I feel you will like what you see and how Great a cartridge it is! That being said, Good Luck 👍🍀 Rick Sr.

If you like to reload, I would suggest a Sherman of some kind. If you don't reload, then maybe a 300PRC or some offering loaded in a quality amMo like Federal Gold Medal Berger, ABM/Berger Ammo, Unknown Munitions or the like. If you want to shoot 1000yrds respectably, ES of your ammo is extremely important.

Perhaps keep your 6.5PRC for steel at 1000 and a different rifle for elk.

Personally I like keeping things consistent and in my budget that means a switch barrel rifle to utilize the same trigger, same stock same scope same cheek weld, etc without buying duplicates. I chose a Bighorn TL3 to run a 6.5 Creedmoor for prs type matches and shoot a 7Sherman Short for hunting.

My 7SS gently pushes the 180ELDM at 2850 out of a 26" barrel with H1000. Could easily get more speed with a bullet like a 180Berger that has a shorter bearing surface but the ELDM is cheaper and arguably more reliable as it is devastating on game.A number of guys are shooting the 195 in the 7SS as well. Those looking for extra speed will use double base powders like RL23 or RL26. Approx 100fps faster.

For me, BC is more important than speed. When you crunch the numbers in a ballistic calculator (I use Ballistic ARC) pushing a bullet/barrel hard to get another 100-150fps doesn't gain really that much usable distance with a good bullet like it does with a lower BC bullet at shorter ranges. This is a choice though each shooter nedds to tailor to their needs/desires but I suggest you look into it.I am not interested in changing barrels every hunting season.

There is a growing database of Sherman reloading info HERE

You can join the discussion for the 7SSHERE

The 7Sherman Max is a medium length action and adds another step in velocity. You can join the discussion HERE

or go to to Rich's website

If you decide to go with a Sherman chambering, I believe Seekins Havaks are available in Sherman calibers upon request. I had Patriot Valley Arms chamber mine and LRI did my buddies but any respectable gunsmith can put one together for you.
I didn't explain that very well. I was looking for the testing used that showed the 7sm was that close to a 28 nosler with 14+ grains difference (powders used, coals, reamer fb, etc) If that is the case, I'm going to buy stock in the Sherman Co because that is incredible efficiency

I didn't explain that very well. I was looking for the testing used that showed the 7sm was that close to a 28 nosler with 14+ grains difference (powders used, coals, reamer fb, etc) If that is the case, I'm going to buy stock in the Sherman Co because that is incredible efficiency

I don't think there are going to ever be any lab studies but it is pretty easy to compare user data per cartridge and compare the variable. Some people love velocity and neglect to mention a 28-30" barrel is needed to get their velocity. Others use supercharged "double base" powders for extra velocity. Just find an apples to apples load data and you have your rough comparison (some barrels are faster than others, fouled barrels are faster, etc)

The Sherman Reloading Data list that I linked will give you users loads they settled upon. Many people like to boast max velocity achieved with a cartridge and not their actual usable load. Oddly like concealed carry choices of backpack load weights people like to post partial data to seem "more better". A little weeding through the bragging and the truth starts to get clearer.

FYI the Max (Medium action) is closer to the Nosler than the SS (true short action). 2 different case sizes.

Here is a load on the list for 7 Sherman Max with 195, 26
0085548D-35B3-4A0D-9DB2-71C775C3C105.png

Here is a random load from Snipershide for 28 Nolser with 195 in a 28" barrel
F5691C23-2522-496F-AD01-C4D5B008A397.png

considering an average of 25-30fps/per inch the 7Sherman Max is right around 3000fps with a 28" barrel so about 50-100fps less than the 28Nosler. Now consider the differences in powders, primers, brass, barrel speed, rounds on barrel, etc and it is easy to see they are pretty close. One uses 69gr the other uses 87.5gr. I am sure a further search of the google machine will find more closely related load data but this gives an idea.

Hope this small sample comparison is of at least a little help

I just don't know how we did it 25 years ago?? All i had was a 7-300 wby and 168 matchking bullets and some how shooting over 1000 yards and killing game to the edges of the earth. I guess we just didn't know better!😂

Thankfully the "we" of today do know better than the "we" of yesteryear about powder manufacturing, bullet design, twist rate, stability factor, rangefinder design, scope design, laser wind readers, cartridge design, shooting form, etc. We truly are living in a golden age for long range shooting. Put todays components and knowledge in the hands of a quality shooter from any century and their hit percentage will be astronomically better than their time periods results.

I don't think there are going to ever be any lab studies but it is pretty easy to compare user data per cartridge and compare the variable. Some people love velocity and neglect to mention a 28-30" barrel is needed to get their velocity. Others use supercharged "double base" powders for extra velocity. Just find an apples to apples load data and you have your rough comparison (some barrels are faster than others, fouled barrels are faster, etc)

The Sherman Reloading Data list that I linked will give you users loads they settled upon. Many people like to boast max velocity achieved with a cartridge and not their actual usable load. Oddly like concealed carry choices of backpack load weights people like to post partial data to seem "more better". A little weeding through the bragging and the truth starts to get clearer.

FYI the Max (Medium action) is closer to the Nosler than the SS (true short action). 2 different case sizes.

Here is a load on the list for 7 Sherman Max with 195, 26
View attachment 175710

Here is a random load from Snipershide for 28 Nolser with 195 in a 28" barrel
View attachment 175711

considering an average of 25-30fps/per inch the 7Sherman Max is right around 3000fps with a 28" barrel so about 50-100fps less than the 28Nosler. Now consider the differences in powders, primers, brass, barrel speed, rounds on barrel, etc and it is easy to see they are pretty close. One uses 69gr the other uses 87.5gr. I am sure a further search of the google machine will find more closely related load data but this gives an idea.

Hope this small sample comparison is of at least a little help
Thanks for taking the time to post that. R33 and N570 are apples to oranges in weight. Ex: my 300 rum loads are 96.6r33 or 90.9n570 with the 225 eld. Speed is very close. Also, when someone lists "2950" most times they didn't chrono. I don't know if my chronos have ever landed on a nice round number :) That aside, I'm interested just can't see a 28 Nosler, which is almost identical to a longer wsm case as being inefficient.

I think a 7RM or 7WSM will do anything you need it to.You will not have to mess around with an ultra long barrel.24 to 26" will give you all the velocity you need.Larger cases just give you diminishing returns in velocity and barrel life by burning needless extra powder for a minimal increase in velocity.Since you want to build the rifle you can choose the length action you want with the barrel twist needed to stabilize what ever bullet you want to use.Why carry all the extra weight needlessly?Me,I would have Melvin Forbes build me a NULA in caliber I wanted and have a rifle that will shoot stupid accurate and not weigh a lot.JMHO,Huntz

I think a 7RM or 7WSM will do anything you need it to.You will not have to mess around with an ultra long barrel.24 to 26" will give you all the velocity you need.Larger cases just give you diminishing returns in velocity and barrel life by burning needless extra powder for a minimal increase in velocity.Since you want to build the rifle you can choose the length action you want with the barrel twist needed to stabilize what ever bullet you want to use.Why carry all the extra weight needlessly?Me,I would have Melvin Forbes build me a NULA in caliber I wanted and have a rifle that will shoot stupid accurate and not weigh a lot.JMHO,Huntz
You hit the nail on the head, any of those round will work. Just find the right bullet and power combo and start having fun

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
If it was me I would look at something with reasonable barrel life and recoil to start with and practice a lot the 195 is great but 168 and 175 through the 280 ackley would serve your needs and a lot easier on the pocket you can always step up later

Yes I agree, I remeber long range from Dan Lija going back 30 years,as where others

Not sexy but the 7mm Remington is a great middle of the road cartridge. Enough capacity for the heavy weight bullets but not so over bore you burn a barrel out in <1,000 shots.

10-4 on the 7MM STW. One of my favorite cartridges. Longest kill was a coyote with a Sako TRG-S at 827 yards. Factory gun with WW 140 gr. Ballistic Tip.
Love my 7mm stw, not finicky, 180s @ 3180, unbelievably easy on the shoulder in a 13lb scoped & braked rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.