Best 7mm cartridge?

Look at the new 277 Fury.
140 Grains, 3,000 FPS, 16″ Barrel
There have been all kinds of numbers circulating, but the facts are that a 140-grain bullet will attain a velocity of more than 3,000 FPS from a 16″ barrel. Exact chronographed velocity won't be finalized until it's checked in SIG Cross production rifles but at least 3,000 FPS is certain. Obviously, longer barrels are going to mean even faster speeds.

I like the design of the Sig Cross...light weight, short barrel, folding stock, one piece receiver. Waiting to see what accuracy looks like, and the uptake on 277 Fury vs 308 and 6.5CM. The latter two rounds will be good enough, so the 277 Fury will have to knock my socks off AND emerge from proprietary status before I'd go that route, personally.

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
Creedmoorshooter & myself have had good results from 180 elds in factory twisted 7mm rm heavy barreled 700s. Mine is a sendero & his is a 700 long range. It's mixed bag results with 180s in factory 700 7mm rem mags so it may not be a gamble you want to take. Years ago there were a few folks winning matches with 280ai and straight up 280 rem pushing 180s but those were custom rifles.

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
I have 2-7mm rifles. One custom 7SAUM and a Legendary Arms 280AI either works out to 1,000-1200yds and will get done what you want it to. See other posts about the 28 Nosler is great long range but they are in fact hard on barrels and shoulders.

So the rifle specs for both rifles were exactly the same, yet 14 grains of powder only added 50fps? Was the Nosler reamer a saami spec with the 195s?
The Nosler chamber was throated for the 195 to sit at the neck shoulder junction, so it has a long throat. I'm not saying that the Nosler load can't be hotter. if pushed a bit, it might be 100 fps different. But that would be an even greater powders wt disparity. My point is The Nosler was designed to turn a lighter bullet into a bolt of lightning. Its horribly inefficient and far from a sweet spot of "costs".
The Max has improved all that was wrong with the SAUM. Better brass aside, the bullet is where it belongs in the neck, the few extra grains of powder get it to 3k fps in the big pill, 31xx in the 180's, 40 degree shoulder reduces case stretch, an so on. The one concern I had regarding feeding a short fatty is reportedly disarmed with the "Kwik Klip" magazine.
BTW, in the example I gave, both are loaded with N570

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.