Best 7mm cartridge?

Thanks for taking the time to post that. R33 and N570 are apples to oranges in weight. Ex: my 300 rum loads are 96.6r33 or 90.9n570 with the 225 eld. Speed is very close. Also, when someone lists "2950" most times they didn't chrono. I don't know if my chronos have ever landed on a nice round number :) That aside, I'm interested just can't see a 28 Nosler, which is almost identical to a longer wsm case as being inefficient.

I agree the rounded number is obviously that but we all know this changes with temperature and round count/fowling. I assume the shooter took this into consideration. My load averaged 2837 and 2843 on 2 different range sessions.

Here is some 28nosler comparable data from 2015/16 on this forum using N570 like the load data for the 7 Sherman Max (2950fps 69gr/26" barrel)

bigbulls""195 berger load is 3060 fps with sd under 9 and less than 1/2 moa group at 100 yards with N570" from a 26" barrel.

jweigel: "I am going to stay with 80 grains of N570. The speeds today were 3072, 3073 and 3070." Not sure on the length of his "factory sendero" barrels.

Perhaps someone else on here can list N570 loads for their 28 nosler with 195's or their Sherman Max with 195 and RL33 for more current comparison. Definitely interesting.

I know with my 7SS H1000 loads I got up to 2936fps with 62.8gr in a 26" barrel (compressed) without pressure signs there can clearly be a significant difference between max load and "settled on" load data.

I am very interested to to see how many rounds I get out of my barrel but am in no rush to burn it out. I am hoping for 1500-2000 rounds. I am sure in a few more years we will have more accurate barrel life data to compare the Sherman cartridges to others.

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
7mm-300 win mag. I use a 7mm rem die set to neck size and seat, and periodically run my brass through a 300 win mag die without the expander to shoulder bump and size base. I decap with a Lee universal die. New barrel Chronoed 2887 fps with 195 EOL, 400 rounds later I'm running 2904. 27" X-Caliber 5R 8 twist

I built a 7 rem mag with a 28" barrel. 180s are at 3050mv with accuracy. 2920fps with the 197smk, I would think the 195 would be similar, but if you run the numbers, you need to get into a bigger cartridge to make the 195/197 pay and for the amount of 50-600yards vs 800+ yd shots a person takes on game the 180s win. Targets are a different deal, the 1000yd accuracy and consistency with the 197s was impressive

280 AI is my choice but don't shoot 195's only 160-168's . Prefer this over my 7mm mag. a lot easier on my shoulder too.

I really wish a true short action 7mm cartridge designed around 180gr bullets of moderate velocities would go mainstream. I don't care who comes out with it , be it Hornady, federal, or Briggs & Stratton, I don't care. Some one would make decent brass for it. My ideal would be for the 7mm sst to go mainstream.

Bunch of good sevens out there: I like the 7mm-08 for medium sized game (Elk, mulies) out to about 500 yds, you can ring steel to 1000 and not burn that barrel up for a while. Easy on the shoulder and low muzzle blast. You can get some great lightweight mountain rifles in that cartridge. That said, you wouldn't be wrong to go with a "plain Jane" 7mm Rem Mag in a tight twist barrel...Say 1/9 or 1/8 so you can stabilize heavier bullets. Brass is cheap and plentiful, there is a ton of great hunting bullets available and you can get cartridges at a gas station in Zimbabwe. Plenty of jack for use afield as well. Finally, if you want a smoker get a 28 Nosler and suck up the cost of brass. A friend of mine is fond of saying, if you're worried about the cost of jet fuel maybe you shouldn't own a lear jet. :)

I really wish a true short action 7mm cartridge designed around 180gr bullets of moderate velocities would go mainstream. I don't care who comes out with it , be it Hornady, federal, or Briggs & Stratton, I don't care. Some one would make decent brass for it. My ideal would be for the 7mm sst to go mainstream.
Should we try to put together a crowd funding effort to get a sherman round sammi spec?

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
I have a 28 Nosler and with the 195's it's pretty amazing.

Folks have put cartridges like the 284 win, 7mm rsaum, & 7mm wsm into long actions for years now with great accuracy. Still the industry overlooks that niche. Are they blind, deaf & dumb? Nothing wrong with long actions at all, I have several but still no true short action factory offerings in 7mm with 180s.

I wonder where the OP went off to? If he wants a target rifle AND a hunting rifle, I'd like to see more info from him on what he was looking for - i.e. custom or factory rifle and how many rounds he'd be shooting at a time during his target shooting. None of the bigger 7mm's are target rifles without getting into some serious barrel heat and subsequent throat erosion.

ME? I'm happy with my 7mm, pushing a 175g SMK at 3495 fps from a 28" barrel @ 785' elevation. While I do shoot more steel than critters, it wasn't built to be a target rifle, and the gun sans scope and bipod tips the scale at 9 3/4#.

Oh, I forgot. If everyone is talking about powder efficiency, doesn't that relate back to powder cost per round to shoot? If that is true and I did my math correctly, I am using slightly less than $0.11 worth of powder per shot to get that velocity. That is without sales tax and shipping to put those numbers into perspecitve for everyone.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.