Best .223 bolt out the box

How much are you wanting to spend? What kind of shooting you looking to do? Hunting, Benchrest, ???

At the beginning of the month I bought a Savage Edge/Axis from walmart for only $260 Nothing special about the gun but It'll put 3 bullets touching each other at 100yards. I have to say best bang for the $$$. But if your looking for something more expensive and bench rest.... a friend of mine has a model 12 Savage. I've become quite impressed with the out of the box accuracy on Savages. I own 3 of them :) 300wsm 22-250 and 223

I want to mess up some cayotes, but I am very picky about accuracy. Basically I'm hunting with it but i still want the best. Also considering 22 250

22-250 Is pretty awesome as well. I have an older one in Rem 700 Sendero. Back when they still offered it with the Sendero stock. I absolutely love mine its super accurate and I shoot anything with it. Longest kill with mine was a 350 yard neck shot on a white tail buck a few years back. Its a very heavy gun though. My Savage is more of a hunting model with the accutrigger. I can head shoot jackrabbits at 100-150yrds all day long. But ive heard those savage model 12's are tough to beat in .223 and 22-250. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

For yotes I think I'd go the 22-250 route just to have more punch behind that bullet. The .223 can put them away too but youll have more range with the 22-250. I love that cartridge.

My best experience has been with a CZ 527 Varmint. Amazing out of the box accuracy, some guys don't like the set trigger, but I tuned the trigger in unset mode to a crisp break just under 3 lbs. It loves 69gr HPBT Sierra's, and they do a great job on coyotes. I have got .5moa to 525 yards so far, and last weekend I was able to hit a 24" gong at 1000 Yds several times in a row.
With my reloaded 69's, it will shoot .25moa. It also really likes 55gr vmax, sp's, and sierra hp's. Any of these are cake to find a load that shoots under 1", usually closer to .5moa. Other than tuning the trigger, which is just adjustments...no grinding or replacement, this gun is bone stock and i LOVE it! It still holds this accuracy with close to 3000 rounds down the tube.

The best out of the box rifle in a small caliber would probably have to be Cooper. You are paying for it though.

I have a Sako 85 Finnlite in 22-250 and I hit Ground Hogs 250-300yrds no problem. I also have a Weatherby Mark V Super Preadator Master 223 that is very accurate.

I'm going to say a Savage, but also going to add the CZ. CZ is proving to be an affordable, accurate shooting rifle. They just came out with a 223 of some kind last year or the year before. Rifle Shooter magazine loved it. It has a 2 stage trigger that you can pre-set the trigger, or still use it as a normal trigger with a heavier trigger pull. I personally like the Savage's, but some day hope to own a CZ of some type.

decisions decisions, Im going to look at both. im assuming that 223 bullets are cheaper and easier to find if i am not a reloader?

decisions decisions, Im going to look at both. im assuming that 223 bullets are cheaper and easier to find if i am not a reloader?
Yes, 223 is going to be in a larger abundance and cheaper to shoot than the 22-250. You will be able to purchase match grade quality ammo in higher quantity than 22-250. There is a lot of mil surp stuff out there. Just make sure you stay away from anything that maybe corrosive.

another one for the cz 527 varmint. Great shooter love the trigger and very accurate. MIne shoots under an inch with 69gr sierra hpbt, all day long.

I decided to go with the 22 250 and cz doesnt make one. big cz fan. Just want to ask what everyone thinks of the savage 10/110 predator hunter max 1???

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts