Berger VLD Hunting bullets... For hunting

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Heya all... Although I am a new member to the forum, I've visited 100's of times over the years to find and review information others users have posted regarding reloading, hunting, and long range shooting.

What has me inspired to create my first post here? Well... VLD hunting bullets.

I recently met with a Berger rep and we had a long conversation about the VLD line, specifically their hunting bullets. I was intrigued by this bullet, which is why the conversation started in the first place and after about 45 minutes of what I considered a quality conversation with a thoroughly knowledgable Berger rep. I didn't want to purchase the 1st Edition manual, as the new manual was supposed to be due out late spring to early summer, so the rep informed me that using Hodgdon's reload data for Sierra's 168 HPBT would equally apply to the VLD 168gr hunting bullets as I informed him that I would be using Varget as my powder choice. So, I bit the bullet so to speak and purchased a 1000 unit box of VLD hunting 168 grain bullets.

RANT... Hodgdon's data clearly states that for a 308 cartridge with a COL of 2.800, the min load is 42gr and the max is 46gr compressed. So... I started working up some loads last night... Full-resized... Neck trimmed... The works. Set charges from 42gr up to 45.5gr and began seating. Things were fine up to 44gr, but once I got to 44.5gr, bullets started sticking in my Forster Ultra seating die. Tapping the die didn't do the job... I had to disassemble the die to get the bullets out of the seating stem. Pulling them out of the stem with my fingers wasn't even an option, they were stuck with some serious force. I would get 1 or 2 rounds to go... And then another stuck bullet. (Before you ask... Yes my seating stem has been polished). So I stepped back, and took some measurements, powder depth from the mouth, length of bullet, depth of previously seated bullets and found that my loads at 44gr were compressed, as well as any above this value. So I stopped and called Berger support this morning. The support guy gave me the speech about seating off the lands. Well... I've read that here in this forum as well as numerous others. As I explained to the guy on the other end of the line... I've got magazines in both my Tikka T3 Tactical 308 and Browning Abolt 300 win mag that conform very closely to SAAMI standards. At this point the guy tells me, "There's NO WAY you can load these to the length parameters of your mags and a COL of 2.800... it's not even a remote possibility with these bullets". He then dives into the whole loading long/jump and lands procedure for these bullets. I stopped him at this point and said, "So basically, if I want to hunt with these bullets for deer or elk, which i intended to do, I've basically got to turn my bolt action rifles into single shot rifles", to which he answered, "Yes... That is the case".

I hung up which I have never done before except on my ex-wife :) If I wanted to hunt with a single shot, I wouldn't have sold my Ruger No 1. A bolt action rifle ensures a fairly quick follow-up shot if required which is why I choose that platform, however, the idea of fumbling about with gloved hands during the critical moments of a hunt to single feed a bullet that can only be loaded long, isn't my idea of a hunting bullet, but a range/target round. I have dropped deer in their tracks with my first round a number of times over my 40 years of hunting, but I've also had to take a follow up shot for perfectly placed first shots that somehow defy explanation as to how the animal could have moved at all... Especially on elk. They are hardy creatures with a strong will to live, and a second bullet in the chamber, ready to go is in my opinion, a prudent choice for any hunter of these big game animals.

If you choose VLDs for hunting in the 308 platform, be prepared to load long and singly. These will be the last VLDs to occupy my reloading bench. Just saying.

End rant.... Wow... Thanks guys... Nice to get that off my chest.

James

Seat the bullets so they fit and feed from your magazine. The VLDs might shoot just fine. Okay so you may not get as much powder in the case as you would like, but that might be the only compromise.

VLDs will shoot with a jump to the lands but not all rifles will shoot them no matter where they are seated. Should this happen to you there are folks willing to buy your bullets, just post an ad in the classifieds here and they will move soon enough.

If your rifle won't shoot the VLDs try the newer hybrid versions as they are not as sensitive to seating depth. I have loaded many hybrids with random seating depths with jumps as much as .200" with excellent accuracy. Don't worry about the target moniker on some of the hybrids they will kill just fine. The 215 is an excellent bullet and has been the subject of many kills shown here.

Close to a year ago a friend asked me to make him a LR load for his 300 WSM A-bolt. I had some 230 match target hybrids I was loading for my 300 RUM and decided to give them a try. Used RL-17 something you might consider if you want more velocity from your 308. I seated those long 230 gr bullets to fit and feed from a 2.8" mag box. Got excellent accuracy with no seating depth tweaking. Velocity from the 22" barrel was 2730 fps. He shot his elk at 300 yds with a double lung shot and it stutter stepped for 10 ft then fell over dead.

Here is a picture of the 230 gr seated deeply in that 300 WSM case:

Which part of "VLD" did you not understand ?

just grind the pointy part down with a bench grinder or a metabo to the length needed to fit your rifle and you should be good to go

I've loaded some for a friend of mine in 300 weatherby and he wanted to use his magazine in his vanguard and the 168 vld shoot just a little under an 1" at 100.He was happy with that.I shoot all mine as single shots anyways.

You can also test the bullet at various seating depths, as a single shot mentioned by the factory rep. If you find a sweet spot and like the way it shoots but your magazine is to short, you can upgrade the bottom metal from CDI. They're running a special in July.

CDiPrecision Gunworks

Which part of "VLD" did you not understand ?

just grind the pointy part down with a bench grinder or a metabo to the length needed to fit your rifle and you should be good to go
Thanks for the sarcasm... Always spices up my day... at least my ex thinks so.

..... Appreciate the feedback guys. I think my main issue was the fact that I had a Berger rep directly tell me that the load data for Sierra 168 HPBTs on Hodgdon's site would work fine with the VLDs and then find that it doesn't, only to have one of their support staff tell me there's no way to load using that data.

I am going to just bite the bullet and load jumped. I've used a single shot in the field before... And though I'd prefer to use my bolt action as intended, if I can get some accurate pills from this test batch... I'll make em work in the field. Next time.... Before throwing down on a 1000, I think I'll pick up a light box for testing first.

Thanks for the sarcasm... Always spices up my day... at least my ex thinks so.

..... Appreciate the feedback guys. I think my main issue was the fact that I had a Berger rep directly tell me that the load data for Sierra 168 HPBTs on Hodgdon's site would work fine with the VLDs and then find that it doesn't, only to have one of their support staff tell me there's no way to load using that data.

I am going to just bite the bullet and load jumped. I've used a single shot in the field before... And though I'd prefer to use my bolt action as intended, if I can get some accurate pills from this test batch... I'll make em work in the field. Next time.... Before throwing down on a 1000, I think I'll pick up a light box for testing first.
Nothing is set in stone when it comes to reloading....You will ALWAYS have to work up your load data. No 2 rifles are going to shoot the exact same load the exact same... So getting mad that the Berger rep said the Hodgdon site data was a good guideline, is kind of dumb.

The VLD's will require tweaking....Period. I have shot enough of them in the last couple years, trust me, I know. But once you do get them right, you will be very happy with the outcome.

Most of my rifles have to be shot in single-shot mode because my best loads are with Bergers that are right up near the lands, and way too long for mag length.

So getting mad that the Berger rep said the Hodgdon site data was a good guideline, is kind of dumb.

I agree with most of what you said, but disagree with the quote above. If the reps from their own company are providing consumers with misinformation regarding their product, it's either deceptive, or due to a lack of knowledge on their part. Calling me stupid for believing information directly given to me by a Berger rep, is a bit much. When did this site get so critical?. I think I need to hook a couple of you up with my ex.

Thanks all... And we'll see how they fly once I get a few batches worked up.

~BoSs

I agree with most of what you said, but disagree with the quote above. If the reps from their own company are providing consumers with misinformation regarding their product, it's either deceptive, or due to a lack of knowledge on their part. Calling me stupid for believing information directly given to me by a Berger rep, is a bit much. When did this site get so critical?. I think I need to hook a couple of you up with my ex.

Thanks all... And we'll see how they fly once I get a few batches worked up.

~BoSs
I didn't call YOU stupid. I said believing that generic load data out of a manual is going to be precise and perfect for your gun is dumb. I never said YOU were.

Just because you misunderstood or misinterpreted what he said or meant doesn't mean the rep is in the wrong. Anyone who is an experienced reloader will tell you that ANY reloading manual is simply a guideline, and NOT an exact science. You will still have to work up loads in your individual rifle to find what it likes.

Guidelines in a book specific to a bullet and standard to that will work safely for all levels of reloaders and brands of rifles...... right?

So, the VLD by design is a long bullet which may not be great for magazines. However, you can, if you don't know already, find out what your COAL ( case base to ogive) is and see how that coincides with your magazine.

For me step 1 is COAL. I use a hornady ogive guage on my rifles and start with seating depth to the lands. I then compare this to the magazine etc and see if the loaded round would fit into my rifle for a repeater. If not, I seat the bullet to the depth required to fit and start at this point for load testing and developement.

FYI- I never consider book over length to mean squat to me. It has nothing to do with what I am trying to achieve. I am loading a cartridge specific to a rifle with its unique set of restrictions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.