Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Our general rule of thumb that works out pretty darn close on velocities with the 7mm's is 100fps change per 10 grains bullet weight. Obviously bearing surface comes into it as well, but when comparing like with like as in 180gn Berger with 195gn Berger, 15gns extra weight means 150fps less velocity, so pretty close to what quickload says.
Greg

My question is what of the throat length?

If a gunsmith has a reamer for 7mm WSM with a 'long' throat for the 180s, will that suffice for these 195s? Will we need to start ordering specific reamers for this oversized projectile?

I'd love to mag feed these 195s in a 7mm WSM case and be able to jump or jam them as they please. Obviously I'd go long action but I'm just worried about the conventional reamers out there and whether or not the reduction of case capacity would make it worth it.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." ― Charles Bukowski

Outstanding signature qoute!!! Can I use this?

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." ― Charles Bukowski

Outstanding signature qoute!!! Can I use this?

Knock yourself out; it's from Bukowski not me! I've always had it in my sig line on other forums because it sums up most of my views in one line!

My question is what of the throat length?
If a gunsmith has a reamer for 7mm WSM with a 'long' throat for the 180s, will that suffice for these 195s? Will we need to start ordering specific reamers for this oversized projectile?

We still don't have the tooling so what we actually end up with is not certain. Having said that, I can relay the the design calls for a shorter bearing surface on the 7mm 195 gr than the 7mm 180 gr VLD. The nose is very long.

I will get with Bryan to see if he can post a drawing of the bullet. It is very important that everyone understands that we don't always match the design perfectly when we get the tooling. We get closer with our current tooling than we have in the past but it can be slightly different.

Regards,
Eric

This should help with some of the questions related to chamber/throat design:

7mm195_c.bmp

-Bryan

What's the estimated max MV with a 1:9 twist that they can handle?

This is one of the questions that we don't have an answer for and we may learn that this bullet can't handle the velocities that the Allen Magnums can produce. In fact, it may not shoot well at any velocity.

I can't emphasize the point strongly enough that this bullet is WAY outside the norm. There is a real chance that this bullet won't work at all.

We've learned some things from previous failures but this doesn't mean that we've figured it out.

I just want everyone to have an accurate understanding of what we are trying to accomplish and that we may fail in the attempt.

Regards,
Eric

I'm not sure what kind of velocites this thing will give but the math seems to indicate that it will always be stable in a 9 twist barrel, even at speeds as low as 2300 fps! Just be careful not to shoot too close to sea level in the winter time.

195stability.png

This is one of the questions that we don't have an answer for and we may learn that this bullet can't handle the velocities that the Allen Magnums can produce. In fact, it may not shoot well at any velocity.

I can't emphasize the point strongly enough that this bullet is WAY outside the norm. There is a real chance that this bullet won't work at all.

We've learned some things from previous failures but this doesn't mean that we've figured it out.

I just want everyone to have an accurate understanding of what we are trying to accomplish and that we may fail in the attempt.

Regards,
Eric

Eric, I think I can speak for a lot of others when I say that we absolutely appreciate your honesty and straight forwardness on this matter. It's always better to underpromise and overdeliver. Thanks for taking a risk that could lead to failure, that's how great things are accomplished. Excited to see how this bullet performs!

1:9" may get you by, but to be clear, the twist recommended by Berger for good stability in all conditions is 1:8.5". It's a good idea to cheat on the fast side of twist with these long tipsy bullets.
-Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.