Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Do you fill your tank up at the gas pump or just get a 1/2 tank ? or are you a really good non greedy guy and only get a 1/4 tank ?

A month or so ago I walked into a local outdoor store and they just put 5 boxes of the 180 Berger Hybrids on the shelf and I bought them all,

The item was available, I wanted it and had the money !
Does that make me a greedy person ?
Nope, I do that all the time. Unless I only need a box or 2, then I only buy a box or 2. Same with powder and primers.

Do you fill your tank up at the gas pump or just get a 1/2 tank ? or are you a really good non greedy guy and only get a 1/4 tank ?

A month or so ago I walked into a local outdoor store and they just put 5 boxes of the 180 Berger Hybrids on the shelf and I bought them all,

Not at all. I currently have 1800 180 VLD's

maybe the 195's will come out tomorrow.

Comparing a bullet to gas shortage is pretty lame to say the least. I don't recall there being a gas shortage in the last few years. But in the 70's during the gas shortage there was a 10 gal limit. And I would never go to the gun shop a buy all the bullets or any other component that's on the shelf. I guess it's like sportsmanship or the lack there of. Just saying....

I think you mean "I ain't got the money for 5 boxes, so everybody should only buy 1 box like me"

"sportsmanship" or "ethics" created out of thin air to suit your ideals does not apply to everyone !

1 box of bullets means 1 trip to the range, I prefer many more trips to the range !

gonna post this, in 2008 I ran some 200 wildcats through a 9 twist lilja chambered 7mm AM at kirbys request, they stabilized fine at 3180 fps, then to satisfy my own curiosity I tried them in a 9 twist lilja from my 7mm STW at 2800, they also did fine, had a buddy tried them in a 9 twist 7 mag at I think 2550......no go!
since we are talking berger with thin jackets I would beware running a fast twist with cut rifeling, I've had absolutely dismal results with an 8 twist kreiger chambered 6.5 Gibbs and the 140 gr orange box loads, the match bullets give me the exact same performance folks shooting button rifled barrels get at the same MV's with the hunting bullets, Brian may or may not remember our email exchanges on this subject but I can assure you a 140 gr berger hunting bullet at 3180 fps through my 8 twist kreiger is useless for harvesting deer.
RR

re; buying it all...

I did it with powder the other day...had 4 pounds at home, bought 2 more just because it was on the shelf....last 2 they had of that powder (Norma MRP)...would have done the same with bullets if they had the ones I was looking for (.277 140 grain Accubonds)

I don't see the big deal....I will use it.

FWIW, 175g SMK's in my 7mm AM go poof near 50 yds from the muzzle at a MV of 3495 fps. after 200 rounds down the tube. 180g Bergers do great at 3400 fps from the same barrel. The boxes are marked VLD-Hunting 7mm 180gr. Match bullets. Lot #1602. The first box was yellow, the 2nd box is orange. 1:9 Lilja barrel.

I talked to Walt Berger at the NRA convention in 2014 and he said that they didn't expect the continued demand for bullets. They thought it would be a temp thing and didn't tool up right away because of the captial required. He said it takes about a year from starting to build a new bullet making machine to get the machine in place, get the bugs worked out of it to make quality bullets and to train people to run it. I'm guessing that they are still concentrating on making the more popular bullets that JQ public is demanding vs. the specialty bullets that we are wanting. At least I hope that's the case and the 190's are still on the production schedule somewhere.

re; buying it all...

I did it with powder the other day...had 4 pounds at home, bought 2 more just because it was on the shelf....last 2 they had of that powder (Norma MRP)...would have done the same with bullets if they had the ones I was looking for (.277 140 grain Accubonds)

I don't see the big deal....I will use it.

As long as you use it, that's one thing. But hoarding to jack up the prices and for profiteering is wrong, IMO. Like the EDITED BY LEN at all the gunshows jacking up prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you use it, that's one thing. But hoarding to jack up the prices and for profiteering is wrong, IMO. Like the a-holes at all the gunshows jacking up prices.

That's the difference. Hoarding is buying what you don't use. To sell later at inflated prices is gouging. Being prudent is buying what you use when you can. Our supplies don't spoil.

I will eat the last cookies but offer and ask others first if I've had one already. Same with supplies. If I'm out I'll get what ever. If I am maintaining my inventory and someone else is there, I'll ask.

I called Berger Bullets this morning,and was given this information in regards to the .284 195 grain.

"It will defiantly be out this year"
"Hopefully by summer"

Gentlemen,

I know everyone has been waiting patiently for the news and some of you guys are messaging and calling for info...

YES!!! THE BULLETS WILL BE OUT LATE SUMMER...

Thanks Guys!

That makes you smart! Now you'll be able to shoot for awhile! I too also stock up on powder and bullets anytime I can! This ensures I will not be left in the cold should another shortage come, I'll be shooting!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.