Berger Meplats - Improved Uniformity

Meplat uniforming their bullets at the factory would increase their cost, because it takes more time, tools and effort. However Sierra is now beginning a line of Match King bullets with tips, like the Nosler Accubond, Ballistic Tip, and AccuBond Long Range bullets. Quality tipped bullets will generally have more consistent BC values from bullet to bullet than non-meplat uniformed VLD style bullets, and in my experience, tipped bullets will improve the percentage of bullets that expand on game at lowered, long range impact velocity.

So if Sierra is investing in a line of Tipped Match Kings, Berger may at some point be forced to consider tipped VLDs, Hybrid Target, and OTMs. Tipped Match King Bullets will compete pretty fiercly with Berger's line of hunting bullets, because the BC value of their tipped bullets will increase, bringing the Match King Tipped bullet BC values closer to Bergers BC values. Of course, if Berger tips their Hybrid Target and OTMs, their BC values will regain the advantage over the Sierra Match King Tipped bullets.

Doing this on a mass production scale doesn't necessarily drive the cost of the bullets up to beyond the reach of the average hunter. Nosler's been placing tips on their Ballistic Tip line of bullets for, to my knowledge, 35-40 years now.

BINGO! I have been preaching this to long range hunters for some time now, and not always being well received:D.......Rich

I wonder if Sierra jackets are thicker than the AMP jackets on amax bullets as for as performance on game is concerned ??

I don't know that from any personal measurements, but I expect the Sierra jackets are indeed thicker than A-Max jackets. I know the 300gr Berger .338 OTMs have a jacket thickness of ~0.045" near/at their tips, and that 225gr Nosler .338 AccuBond jackets are ~0.024" thick at their tips.

Last edited:
The Sierra target jackets that I make my SXR's with are thinner than anything else that I am aware of at the nose (.011-.012") The game kings have a thicker jacket. SMK's do not expand as well as Bergers because of the impact angle (tangent vs secant) and not because of the jacket thickness. I am not sure what the A-max measures, but I doubt that it is as thin as a sierra?......Rich

The Sierra target jackets that I make my SXR's with are thinner than anything else that I am aware of at the nose (.011-.012") The game kings have a thicker jacket. SMK's do not expand as well as Bergers because of the impact angle (tangent vs secant) and not because of the jacket thickness. I am not sure what the A-max measures, but I doubt that it is as thin as a sierra?......Rich

I was completely oblivious to the angle being so crucial.lightbulb

So when Berger started using thicker jackets for the VLD targets because of aggressive twists but still unsuitable for hunting. ??

Or because of meplat diameter.????

The thicker target jackets will not open as easily, but with equal jacket thickness and material, a vld will open easier than a spitzer. i.e. the greater the angle of impact, the more pressure from the outside in which inhibits expansion.

Rich,
Are those .338 Sierra target jackets? I haven't cross-sectioned one of my 300gr Sierra .338 Match Kings, but I've meplat trimmed and counter sunk them. They look thicker than 0.012" at their tips. I'd guess the larger the diameter of the bullet, the thicker the jacket material that might be used for structural integrity during barrel launch?

Rich,
Are those .338 Sierra target jackets? I haven't cross-sectioned one of my 300gr Sierra .338 Match Kings, but I've meplat trimmed and counter sunk them. They look thicker than 0.012" at their tips. I'd guess the larger the diameter of the bullet, the thicker the jacket material that might be used for structural integrity during barrel launch?

I think the .338" probably are thicker. Mine were .308

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.