meplat uniformer....99cents

ABINOK

Are you the person who gives the time estimates to the IRS on how long it takes to fillout a tax form?

I quote

"and about an hour,"

I spent the first hour mic ing every round looking thing in my garage looking for 0.286 dowel.

And I guess I was just lucky and had a 0.251 drill bit instead of a 0.248.

You also should have mentioned in the instructions that it helps to be a little smarter than a runover possum if you are going to do this.

The first try had the 243 too sloppy to work but that was really easy to remedy by just getting a slightly smaller dowel and pouring again. The 284 was too tight so I spun a under sized drill bit in it a few times and just let the edges cut against the epoxy until I had it where the bullet would just slide in and then just barely slide out.

I "improved" your design by cutting of a quarter inch off the neck so that you can insert blunt rod into the top of the die and find the lip of the shortened neck and "push" the device out if it becomes wedged in the die.

I haven't tried to trim any bullets yet but I have some TSXs that I will try when I GET BORED ENOUGH. I am not shooting at anything far enough away for it to matter in the first place.

It was a fun exercise and cost me about $3.00 for the same exact epoxy JB Quick AND ABOUT 3 HOURS OF TIME.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you the person who gives the time estimates to the IRS on how long it takes to fillout a tax form?

I quote

"and about an hour,"

I spent the first hour mic ing every round looking thing in my garage looking for 0.286 dowel.

And I guess I was just lucky and had a 0.251 drill bit instead of a 0.248.

You also should have mentioned in the instructions that it helps to be a little smarter than a runover possum if you are going to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, forgot to include the setup time... and some assembly required /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I "improved" your design by cutting of a quarter inch off the neck so that you can insert blunt rod into the top of the die and find the lip of the shortened neck and "push" the device out if it becomes wedged in the die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea! I had been just inserting something into the open end, and angeling it enough to bind, but the trimmed brass is probably better.... it would allow you to apply more force without worrying about marring the epoxy surface.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't tried to trim any bullets yet but I have some TSXs that I will try when I GET BORED ENOUGH. I am not shooting at anything far enough away for it to matter in the first place.

It was a fun exercise and cost me about $3.00 for the same exact epoxy JB Quick AND ABOUT 3 HOURS OF TIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get around to it, let us know how it works in your experence. The more im shooting uniformed bullets, the more differance they seem to make. The major gains are found out at the 1000+ ranges, but I have seen the differance at400 for sure. Ill be gearing up to sort and meplat uniform 500 220SMKs in the next few days, so the tool should get a good workout. One other thing I might mention, if antbody out there gives this a try, be sure to clean out the shavings from trimming every 7-10 bullets or it will get more difficult to pop that bullet out when youre done.
Anybody else out there give this a try?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.