Berger Fail on elk

Took the words out of my mind, no use for such junk on animals. Granted , great on paper but thats about it.

In light of the many, many success stories with Bergers, that is an incredible statement void of rational logic. There are no more "failure" reports with Bergers than there are with a lot of other popular bullets. One only needs ot use a little common sense in their use, realizing that they are a frangible bullet. In the past couple of months, I've read 3 reports, including this one with this kind of result. In each case, the bullet used, was not the heavier for cal bullet. I have read multiple dozens of successful reports of hunters using the 215 and 230 Hybrids and 230 OTM and not one, I repeat, not one failure with any of these bullets.

Junk on animals? Simply amazing what some people say in light of all the evidence.

Last edited:
Junk on animals? Simply amazing what some people say in light of all the evidence.

Mark if my memory is correct "freedom" shot a deer with a Berger in a snow storm and it traveled 90 yards where he found it dead under a tree. The snow covered ground left no sign of a blood trail and dark was approaching. He felt the bullet did not kill the deer dead enough. Also if my memory is correct this was his first and only time using a Berger hunting bullet. So he chooses not to use them. He would rather just bash.

This is why we listen and try to learn from people like Mike that has much experience. No bullet is perfect in all situations and these threads can be great for those choosing a bullet to fit their personal needs. But there always has to be the haters.:rolleyes:

Jeff

In light of the many, many success stories with Bergers, that is an incredible statement void of rational logic. There are no more "failure" reports with Bergers than there are with a lot of other popular bullets. One only needs ot use a little common sense in their use, realizing that they are a frangible bullet. In the past couple of months, I've read 3 reports, including this one with this kind of result. In each case, the bullet used, was not the heavier for cal bullet. I have read multiple dozens of successful reports of hunters using the 215 and 230 Hybrids and 230 OTM and not one, I repeat, not one failure with any of these bullets.

I call it and label it like I see it, I am not no Democrat who fails to label something gone wrong with frosting.

I am free and entitled to use any word I deem necessary, if its dog poop and cover it up with icing its still dog poop.

This is why we listen and try to learn from people like Mike that has much experience. No bullet is perfect in all situations and these threads can be great for those choosing a bullet to fit their personal needs. But there always has to be the haters.:rolleyes:

Jeff

The best words in this thread yet.

I have mixed feelings about bergers but then again, I've only shot one antelope with them and my buddy shot a dall sheep with the same load. Both showed signs of promise. At this point, I'll still use them but with the same attitude as when I'm driving and approach a flashing yellow street light....proceed with caution.

I am still an accubond fan. I've had great results with them. I did loose one critter with them but it was shot placement here not bullet performance. How do I know it was placement? Because I found chunks of liver material along the blood trail. It obviously blew a fair sized hole through. Similar to what I saw earlier that year on a dall ram. It was a semi offhand shot. 225 yards. I was fairly steady but just before the shot broke, drifted back a bit. Eventually lost the blood trail, seemingly a zillion deer tracks all over the place made it impossible to track by hoof prints. Loosing critters sucks. Even if you did put a lot of effort into the search. At least I know it was my fault and not the bullet's fault.

Mark if my memory is correct "freedom" shot a deer with a Berger in a snow storm and it traveled 90 yards where he found it dead under a tree. The snow covered ground left no sign of a blood trail and dark was approaching. He felt the bullet did not kill the deer dead enough. Also if my memory is correct this was his first and only time using a Berger hunting bullet. So he chooses not to use them. He would rather just bash.

Jeff

Why yes Broz,

I forgot you were there next to me on my other hunts were I have used other manufacturers rounds religiously , and never had a problem. Only to shoot competition with berger for 4 years steadily and continue to purchase 500rd of 7mm 168 vld not to mention my 6mm, 308, etc.

I dont need to have multiple failures on game to realize it aint working.

I dont need to have multiple failures on game to realize it aint working.

And the dead buck 90 yards away was proof the bullet didn't work. The one and only time you shot a deer with them. I will not respond to you anymore. Seems I remember too many of your posts are negative and you are a borderline troll with your extreme remarks.

Have a good day and good luck with your future hunts finding something else to rant about.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Wow, really. I think borderline troll is being very generous given a statement like that obviously ment to entice an internet fight over which is better.

Yeah, no kidding. I wished he had a bunch of berger 215's that I could buy.......
I think that from now on when anyone starts a thread on bullet failures from ANY brand, the very first thing that should be questioned is SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT and SHOT PLACEMENT.
I may be a dinosaur but I STILL wait for the right shot. And that for me is for my bullet to be in the vitals. I personally have never lost an animal to a bullet (any brand) in the vitals. It's worked for me all these years and that's the way I'll continue to hunt and shoot.
Anyone want to part with their crappy 215 bergers.....??????

Randy

Interesting Thread and thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you connected on the follow-up shot.

I aim for the ribs on game animals, so I don't have much experience placing bullets on the front shoulder or leg bones. I know a lot of hunters prefer to aim for the front shoulders and/or high shoulder, so reading of about their experiences is my primary source of information about bullet performance on bone and bone/heavy muscle.

And the dead buck 90 yards away was proof the bullet didn't work. The one and only time you shot a deer with them. I will not respond to you anymore. Seems I remember too many of your posts are negative and you are a borderline troll with your extreme remarks.

Have a good day and good luck with your future hunts finding something else to rant about.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Listen, 90 in the thickest woods I have ever seen aint no joke. If it wasn't for the snow that buck would of rotted. Folks claim huge holes and jello organs, which neither were present. I sure aint the only one in my hunting network with that problem. These bullets are very over rated for hunting.

The more I explain myself, the people are determined to misunderstood me

Folks claim huge holes and jello organs, which neither were present.

"Listen" No, you listen and try to learn.

"Claim" you say?

These folks are supporting their success with photos of their game and some with pics of terminal performance. can you open mindedly look at this lengthy thread and realize you are the exception not the norm?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/lets-see-your-berger-kills-94959/

Here is how I support my "claims" of how these Bullets work. 19 documented big game kills in the same season with the same rifle and Berger bullets. All with impact velocity, terminal performance photos, extensively supported with documented facts.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Here are some more.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

Now can you understand why when you come on here with a rude mouth and extreme rude claims some will not buy in? or in your words "misunderstood me" Will you even read and look at these threads in an effort to learn? Probably not.

Bottom line is you shot one deer with a single Berger. The deer traveled 90 yards and was dead when you found it. You only supported your "claim" with rude comments, no pics or internal documentation. The owner and admin of this forum even edited your rude unsupported thread title and you complained about that. You had one single instance you deemed as "bad". Others could not understand what or why you were complaining about a deer that only traveled 90 yards before falling dead. What it traveled through has nothing to do with it. Many on here will agree that a deer to sprint 90 yards after the shot is very normal. Yet you want to **** and moan, take cheep shots and be rude. Which seems to be pretty normal for you.

One could say you indeed are the one that is "claiming" things. Especially with your negative attitude , unsupported remarks and foul mouth.

Some on here try to learn, help other learn and do it in a professional manner. A few only wish to create havoc.

As far as your "claim" I believe you. But for crying out loud get a grip. The deer died and died quickly. The bullet probably didn't get a rib going in or out. Did you look? Do you feel a mono metal or controlled expansion bullet would have done anything different under the same circumstances? Do you have pics so the ones of use with extensive documented experience with Bergers can help to diagnose what really happened? Do you even care? What exactly did it travel through only lungs? With your attitude I say you probably didn't even look because you were to eager to jump to conclusion because you seem to like to have things to complain about.

Other "folks Claims" my butt.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Time for:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.