Bergers on elk

Brad from ND

I'll be going to CO this fall for my first elk hunt. I'm trying to decide which bullet I want to use. I know that accubonds will work perfectly, but was really wanting to develop a load with Bergers this year for target shooting anyway. It would be nice to just have 1 load. My question is whether or not the Berger VLD's will hold up. Shots will be between 100-600 yards.

The rifle is a 300 RUM with a 26 in barrel. I'm trying to decide between the 200 AB's and 210 Berger VLD. The velocities from both will be just over 3000 fps which is why I'm questioning the Bergers ability to hold together if a close range shot is taken.

I'm looking for any input from guys that have used VLD's in similar rifles with closer range shots on elk.

Thanks
Brad

I have taken several Elk with a 210 Berger. Including the one pictured below. This year mine was at 803 yards with a 300 win and my wifes was at 415 with the ame 300 win. They work great when placed reasonably well.

Jeff gun)gun)

I've killed two elk with the 210vld. Both were around 60 yds. The first one quartering away, shot between the 3rd and 4th ribs. She went about 40 yds and piled up. I found pieces of the bullet in the off side rib cage up by the shoulder and her internals looked like strawberry jam. The second one was shot running through the timber. I hit him straight on the the shoulder and it flattened him instantly but did not kill him. A second shot in the head upon walking up to him finished the deal. After skinning him, I found that none of the bullet made it through the shoulder. Most of it traveled up his neck. I never investigated it any further to figure out what made him drop so quick. Nonetheless, he's in the freezer! Knowing then what I know now, at close range I would stay off the shoulder and just put one through the ribs and let the air out of them. I would say they work fine but like any other bullet, shot placement is the key to success.

I like Bergers and use them in my 6.5 but if you are not shooting farther than 600 yards, I think the Accubond is the best choice. It is more forgiving if the shot placement is off a little. IMO. Past 600, I would go with the Bergers.....Rich

If you're going to 'only' 600 yards with a RUM, I'd stick with the Accubond. I've killed one elk at 850 and a mule deer at 1180 and performance was very good. Also my brother-in-law killed an elk last fall at 856 with the same bullet with the same results.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts