180 berger elite hunter on elk

shooterpunk2

I've got a .30-06 I'm looking to try a new hunting bullet in for elk. Most shots would be 1-400 yards, but there is opportunity up to 600-700 yards.

How do the elite hunters perform on closer shots?

Would the ELD-X be any better?

Thanks!

I have these loaded for a 300 WSM for the purpose elk, however was unsuccessful this past season on elk this year. However, i did shoot a whitetail deer this past week at 200 yards and it did the job well. Bullet size hole on the entrance, jello inside, and fist size hole on the exit.

I use this round in a 300 WSM as well. I dropped a bull at 456 yards with it. With that being said im not too sure how well it would do if you missed the bread basket and hit a shoulder. Whereas if I'm shooting Accubonds I'll usually aim for a shoulder.

Again I've only shot one elk with the 180s and it worked extremely well but it was a perfect shot.

I have a friend that uses the elite 180 out of 300 win mag. They killed several elk and oryx with them. Great results, no issues. I think they are a better and more accurate bullet than the EDLX but both would work great out of 06.

EDLX are about $10 a box cheaper so might try those first. I have yet to get consistent accuracy from EDLX in the 2 rifles I've tried them in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.