Berger 6mm 105 Hybrid for coyotes

What kind of velocities are you getting in your 6x47

My 22" Rock's accuracy is at 3030.

My 26" Krieger's accuracy is at 3125.

Interestingly, both of these barrels ended up with the same load, the Rock with VLD's, and the Krieger with Hybrids.

The latest 22" Brux likes 3110 with either bullet.

Thanks
I'm shooting a 6remmy ai 3150 105 vld one hole groups at 100 yards, I have a short action laying around so I'm gonna look into building a 6x47

Tagging in.

Contemplating a 6BR for shorter range practice and varmints. Being in California I have to stick with lead free. Looking at 55 grain Nosler lead free BT's and 90 grain ETips. Curious on what twist rate and number of lands is recommended. Sitka's comment about a slower twist got my attention.

Thanks, I have a short action laying around so I'm gonna look into building a 6x47

The beauty of the 47 case is it fits a S/A better w/o impeding on the powder capacity with proper throating, the small primer pocket makes it **** near indestructible, and it gives up nothing to a 243 performance wise.

Tagging in.

Contemplating a 6BR for shorter range practice and varmints. Being in California I have to stick with lead free. Looking at 55 grain Nosler lead free BT's and 90 grain ETips. Curious on what twist rate and number of lands is recommended. Sitka's comment about a slower twist got my attention.

I've got another 6x47 in a 14 twist, just to shoot up older powder and BR bullets. I haven't really give a good go yet, and probably won't now till next year.

I'd still get an 8 twist, as monos are generally long for their weight anyway.

I wouldn't fret over land profiles or numbers......

Last edited:
Dkrat, I was just being a whiner because when I chose a 1 in 8 for my 6mm, I was in open country. The 105's really pay off for the longer range shots. Now I'm in not so open country and am wishing I had a 1/10 twist so I could shoot lighter bullets at higher velocities and have a laser out to 300. I played with some 58 grainers for kicks and (unrealistic) hopes they'd shoot. Couldn't do better than an inch at 100.......so much for that. Ah well.

Alf, my creedmoor is no speed demon either. 140's at 2647 average. Very accurate though. I was on the precision rifle blog the other day and was thinking they were generally 100-150 fps faster. Sounds like a beaut of a rifle you got there.

Dkrat, I was just being a whiner because when I chose a 1 in 8 for my 6mm, I was in open country. The 105's really pay off for the longer range shots. Now I'm in not so open country and am wishing I had a 1/10 twist so I could shoot lighter bullets at higher velocities and have a laser out to 300. I played with some 58 grainers for kicks and (unrealistic) hopes they'd shoot. Couldn't do better than an inch at 100.......so much for that. Ah well.

Yep the 90 gr ETip requires a 9 twist. Even the 55 gr. lead free is about the size of a 75-80gr leaded pill. I'd say a 9 twist 5 groove would be perfect. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.