Berger 6mm 105 Hybrid for coyotes

I shoot a custom 6 remmy ai using the berger 105 vld hunting bullets. I've never had a problem with a dog running away,over 40 kills with the 105s, never tried the hybreds though.

Maatfr, did you chrono your 105's? I would like to know your velocities and load if you did.

3150? Really?! ****es me off. I should've had a slower twist on my remmy. Mine is not an ai. Not that fast.

Xdeano[/QUOTE]

Sitkadeer and xdeano....coupla questions....

Have either of you shot enough coyotes with pointed 105 Hunting VLD's to form an opinion?

My #1 coyote gun is a 6x47 Lapua running unpointed at 3030, and have had great results as well, but, I just put together another Lapua with pointed Hybrids at 3080.

I've tested to 1200, and the BC looks to be a hair over .585, so I like the performance at distance, but am worried about the Hybrid being too "tough" at LR, and worse being pointed.

Any thoughts?

I don't have anything for you on the pointed bullets. My only guess is that they will have a tendency to do more of a punch through then actually opening up just a slight bit. Only. Way to find out is to go punch a few and report results.

Xdeano

I've switched my thinking....again.

I did a 600 yard test with the pointed Hybrids, vs pointed hunting VLD's, vs regular hunting VLD's, (both the same lot) and found zero POI between the three bullets in shooting two groups with each.

It'll probably take a lot more distance to see an advantage, and then there's still the unknown performance of the Hybrids at LR.

I've got my drops to 1100+, so I'm sticking with the regular VLD's for now.

I've switched my thinking....again.

I did a 600 yard test with the pointed Hybrids, vs pointed hunting VLD's, vs regular hunting VLD's, (both the same lot) and found zero POI between the three bullets in shooting two groups with each.

It'll probably take a lot more distance to see an advantage, and then there's still the unknown performance of the Hybrids at LR.

I've got my drops to 1100+, so I'm sticking with the regular VLD's for now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reporting back, always good to know.
Xdeano

I'm surprised. I figured by 600 there'd start to be at least a slight difference between the pointed and non pointed, especially vertically. Great info.

Alf, did you adjust seating depths or loads at all between the three with your test?

I originally worked up a load with the Hybrids in the lands and H-4350.

Then I was curious about the regular VLD's as a back up bullet in case there were issues, and worked up a load again with those in the lands, and accuracy, velocity, and ES were the same with both bullets at the same charge weight, 41.5 grains, and the same relationship in the lands.

POI was the same for all three at my zero of 200 yards.

I didn't leave any questions to my results......

Good deal. I'm gonna switch over to vlds in my 6.5 creedmoor. because of some bigger game, I will need guaranteed expansion. Hoping I won't have to change much. Sounds like from your experience, I probably won't have to change anything. Very happy.....

I'm going to Montana deer hunting next month, and #1 gun will be a 6.5x47 running 130 VLD's. Not a speed demon at 2820, but it''ll scare the pants off you on how well it shoots to 1K+. Brux #3 at 23" in a McMillan Classic with a 4.5-14 Mark IV on top weighing a hair over 8#'s.

This latest 6x47 is for back up and or a little coyote hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.