Berger 6mm 105gr Hybrid on coyotes?

Good choice with the Amax. I use to shoot piles of coyotes with the 6.5 140 grain hybrid. I used them because they were fantastically accurate and easy to make a load with. However, I had an occasional coyote run off because of penciling. I had a dog, and so, I always found the runners as they didn't go too far, but they did go hide to bleed out. Again, it didn't matter to me, I needed dead coyotes and had the tools to find em. If you want highest probability of dead on the spot, hybrids are a poor choice. Too bad, they are so accurate and easy to tune.

For what it matters, I've never had a coyote run off with a 204 and plastic tips....never.

I agree with K redden using A-MAX bullets. I shoot them out of a custom 22-250 with CFE223 powder. My barrel is a 28" Shilen & they chrono right at 4000 fps. Deadly accurate & deadly on coyotes. Hardly ever an exit & they are VERY dead in their tracks.
Thanks, Kirk

Over the past several years, many hunters where I live have claimed to have stopped using Berger bullets for hunting big game as well as coyotes and wolves. (no idea as to which ones however) Most of them claim Berger has made the bullets too stout over the last few years - enough so now there is the pencilling through even a large wolf.
From what I have learned from others who called Berger about this, some people had experienced issues with bullet blowups using fast twist barrels and were pursuing very high velocities, so that might be a legitimate reason, but am just saying what I heard from others who kill a lot of coyotes in particular.

I shoot my limits of wolves annually and have never had an issue using 155, and 168 grain Hornady A-Max bullets in my .308. In my 7mm Remington Magnum I use the 162 grain A-Max and likewise, have been extremely pleased with the results.

Perhaps people should be contacting Berger themselves to complain so as to let them know that not everyone is strictly after paper punching and require a step back to a more frangible bullet for some calibers.

Over the past several years, many hunters where I live have claimed to have stopped using Berger bullets for hunting big game as well as coyotes and wolves. (no idea as to which ones however) Most of them claim Berger has made the bullets too stout over the last few years - enough so now there is the pencilling through even a large wolf.
From what I have learned from others who called Berger about this, some people had experienced issues with bullet blowups using fast twist barrels and were pursuing very high velocities, so that might be a legitimate reason, but am just saying what I heard from others who kill a lot of coyotes in particular.

I shoot my limits of wolves annually and have never had an issue using 155, and 168 grain Hornady A-Max bullets in my .308. In my 7mm Remington Magnum I use the 162 grain A-Max and likewise, have been extremely pleased with the results.

Perhaps people should be contacting Berger themselves to complain so as to let them know that not everyone is strictly after paper punching and require a step back to a more frangible bullet for some calibers.

Berger has thin and thick jackets in most sizes and have had for quite a while. I haven't had any trouble but most stuff I shoot is moving pretty quickly also.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.