6mm Remington set up for coyote

duckcrazy

Good evening all, new to the site and would like some help in setting up my old 6mm Remington 700 for coyotes. Question is what barrel length, twist, and bullet size. We have a lot of these on our lease and no one will take the time to shoot them. The 6mm is the smallest rifle I have to build from. Thanks for your help.

First off, welcome to the sight!
some questions first. Tell us more about the gun, hunting terrain, are you new to coyote hunting? will you have to carry it any distance? these are just some of the things to consider. Before you go the custom route, why not put on a scope that matches you're terrain and go hunting, learn as you go, so to speak. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will also chime in, good luck and happy holidays! E

Ditto ... welcome to the forum.
Not sure, based on your post, whether you're intending to build a rifle or if you're wanting load data for your "old" 6mm Remington. The 6mm Remington goes waaaay, back (perhaps fifty years). I believe it was (is) a 1:9 so you shouldn't have any problem stabilizing just about any 6mm bullet you choose. I'd look for a 95 - 107 grain bullet for coyotes and my preference would be a 26" barrel.
However, if you have something shorter than 26 inches it'll work just fine.

The gun is a typical 700 sporter 22" barrel that I want re-barreled, walks are not far from logging roads and its pretty much open up to around 300 yards. I've had this gun for 25 years and it was never a shooter so to speak. 1.5-2.0 at 100 and 3.0 at 200. Yes I've hunted coyote before but in thick brush from a tree stand and a shot gun many years ago. The coyotes on our lease have over ran the deer, but I'm going to fix that I hope. I'm retired and need to due something when I'm not Duck or Deer Hunting. I was hoping someone could tell me if a 22" varmint contour barrel would be good enough.

for 300 yds. or so I think a 22" barrel would be ideal, IMO a varmint contour would be a little heavy, maybe somthing in a #6 sporter or a light palma would be more ideal, and can still be fluted. do you have a smith in mind ? may as well have the action blueprinted while you're at it. If no smith, most of the better barrel makers can true the action and install the barrel, head space, etc. E

Thanks for the info, I know the long barrel is the way to go but I wanted something compact. I will look for someone to re-barrel it for me. Trying to decide on a barrel maker, that will be a chore I'm sure, there are just a few. Never thought about the blue printing, but your right, I will have that done.

I bought a Remington 700 varmint new and sent it to SG&Y, Speedy Gonzales's Shop . He re-chambered it to 6 Ackley Imp. for me and blueprinted it. I lapped in a Leupold 6x18 to go with distances encountered on the Mescalero Res. It was/is perfect for that and I cant tell you how far it will reach, just very very far.. I am using Hornady 77 gr. match hollow point traveling (dont have my book handy but) 3600 fps... I have loaded 105's and some 107's, and when you stick it out to where it needs to be, you will have to run it single shot. My gun is heavy to carry and I have for miles, it wont bother you till you get 3 coyotes to take to the check point..
Also if you talk to one of these Bench Rest Shops ask them about a take-off barrel for short action in a 6. These BR guys swap at 500 rnds which leave years of varmint service left. Be sure to check the twist you do not want something you cant use.... You might pick up a Shilen or a Hart cheap... Good Luck

I have 243's, my brother has 6mm's, we both reload and for the most part I can't tell the difference between the two. If you don't have your heart set on the 6mm you may want to consider the 243 as brass and factory shells are much more available.

I put a 26 inch, number 5 contour, 1 in 7 twist Lilja barrel chambered in 243 on a Remington action. It wears a 4.5-14X-50 Leopold ffp scope that handles anything from 87 gr V-Max to 115 VLD Hunting Berger bullets that if I do may part will take any coyote out to 800+ yards. Just put it together in August and it's becoming one of my favorites.

I've got a lightweight 6mm Remington. Started life as a 600 in .308. Brown Precision Kevlar stock, 20" Shilen barrel, Canjar trigger. I've missed a few coyotes with it, none that I recall I could blame on barrel length. Weighs in at 7.7 lbs with a 2.5-8x Leupold, and ready to hunt.

I've never chronographed it, but 70-80 grain bullets have enough velocity certainly to effectively take coyotes at the 300 yard mark. 70 grain Sierra Blitz kings have a fair amount of splat factor. The kids have been using the 95-100 grainers for small deer and antelope with some success.

The only issue is brass availability, and ironically Winchester is the only factory load listed currently.

I think I'm going 22" Shilen barrel and timiney trigger in a Bell &Carlson stock. I like the splat factor with the 70 grain Kings.

I like the splat factor with the 70 grain Kings.

I'm on my last of those, no where in sight yet. Just checked a couple of places, so who knows. Plenty of other varmint bullets out there.

I'd check some place like Berger for twist rates, and put some thought into what it takes toward the upper weight bullets , just in case at some point you take a notion to stretch the range, or want to shoot deer with it.

I have a 6mm on a custom Mauser action, with a cooper barrel, used to load 100gr and 75gr bullets for it for deer, but just did load development with the 58gr vmax which my buddy has had good performance with on yotes out of his .243. so far grouping really good, just need to put some fur down with it

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.