LOOKING for tips on Rifle and Scope set-up for Coyotes??

I have been looking at 204 ruger or 22-250 for caliber.
Is a heavy barell needed for Varmint/Coyote hunting???

FWIW, my brother is also left handed. He uses a CZ 527 American in .204 Ruger. I have two CZ 527 rifles in .204 Ruger, the standard weight and the varmint weight. We both use 35 grain Berger bullets. The previous poster is spot on about fast handling rifles for close in calling.

Later in the year, when coyotes are more wary and come in with a bit more caution, we both switch over to a 22-250 with 22 inch tubes. His is about a number 3 taper and mine is closer to a number 4 taper. The short length still maintains some decent handling characteristics at the expense of some muzzle velocity, but the weight adds stability.

I too have shot a boat load of coyotes (well over 100) with a .204, and I think they are great out to a couple of hundred yards. If you just want a dead dog, start with a 22-250 using polymer tipped bullets and work up from there.

I think the ideal coyote round would be a 6BR in a 23" barrel with a 1:8 twist. I would use some kind of bases that would allow me to change scope without loosing the zero point. When shooting in very low light or even after dark you have little use for the high powered scopes that just suck up the light. You need something around 6X to 8X with a 40mm lense. In the daytime a nice 20X is about right
gary

FWIW, my brother is also left handed. He uses a CZ 527 American in .204 Ruger. I have two CZ 527 rifles in .204 Ruger, the standard weight and the varmint weight. We both use 35 grain Berger bullets. The previous poster is spot on about fast handling rifles for close in calling.

Later in the year, when coyotes are more wary and come in with a bit more caution, we both switch over to a 22-250 with 22 inch tubes. His is about a number 3 taper and mine is closer to a number 4 taper. The short length still maintains some decent handling characteristics at the expense of some muzzle velocity, but the weight adds stability.

I too have shot a boat load of coyotes (well over 100) with a .204, and I think they are great out to a couple of hundred yards. If you just want a dead dog, start with a 22-250 using polymer tipped bullets and work up from there.

How does that CZ in 204 shoot?? I want to buy a somewhat cheap rifle but i am fascinated with the CZ in 204 for how light it is and its size.
If i saved up a bit more i would consider it but i hear 204 isn't a good coyote caliber and cz aren't good rifle, what is your take on a CZ in 204 for coyotes??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.