how would you set up?

rem243

im looking for ideas of how to set up on top of this "hill"(in my ranch) for coyote hunting... (we have never shot anything from up top) i am fairly new to predator hunting and have always wanted to hunt from there. this weekend i was out there using hand calls but nothing came in... it seems to me that the sound spreads out to much and the coyotes dont quiet know where to look. my brothers and i have had great success with hand calls so i know that is not the problem. the satellite picture has a pin, a red and a green circle. pin would be up on top of the hill, red circle(dirt road) is about 100+/- yrds out, green circle (cross road) is about 500+/- yrds.

i hope to go out next week again with new ideas to try.
any idea is helpful thanks

Attachments

• rancho 2011-12 loma.jpg
    rancho 2011-12 loma.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Predator Hunting 2013...scouting.jpg
    Predator Hunting 2013...scouting.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 110
  • loma rancho.jpg
    loma rancho.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 131
First, if you don't have the wind in your favor, don't even bother...(but that should be a given)
2nd, coyotes would prefer to not travel up a hill to inspect a noise, so you're going to get a lot of coyotes stopping out there between 100-500 and just looking. They have cover, plenty of cover, and they will circle that hill side to the downwind area before they will just head up the hill.

That type of set up is better for an e-caller where you can put it 50-100 yds down that first road, and hope to coax a predator into circling where you can still see it.

Not saying it won't work, but you're not going to have very good luck unless the conditions are prefect...especially when they have the element of cover working in their favor...despite your elevation advantage.

I would make sure the wind is in my face or a cross wind.
would make sure not to walk over the top of the hill come in from either side at the base of the hill. if you don't have an e caller, then walk up the hill only 20 to 30 yards set up in front of sage brush ect.. also get rid of that white camo the sun reflects off those white spots like a beacon at night.
when you call only blow on the hand call 2 or 3 times and wait 5 min. blow again wait 10 min.
it might take a dog 30 to 45 min. to get within 500 yards, as mentioned, once there in that 300 yard range they start checking the wind and watching for movement.
good luck keep after it, there are out here.

First off, you're asking the right question. The set-up is the most important aspect of predator calling IMO. I agree with Prkrgrp on setting up towards the bottom of the hill but primarily because I never want to give the coyotes a place to approach unseen below me. Get low enough that you can see everything out onto the flat. I also prefer to have a crosswind with an opening or lighter cover on the downwind side., My rule is "Make them show themselves if they want the downwind." If you're hunting with a partner, one of you can set up downwind of the caller. You may also want to change up the sound you're using. Try a different call or cadence each time you go to that spot. Coyotes learn quickly. Using the same sound over and over will educate them pretty quick. You might get some more ideas reading an article I wrote for LRH on setting up. Here's a link: http://no-off-season.com/artiles-and-news.html

Good luck. It looks like a great spot!

Last edited:
I have NO IDEA why people call with the wind in their face. Yea... They can smell you, but you kill lots of coyotes that smell you and almost none that come in behind you. In your case, if you're posted up a little downhill, you can't see behind you.

Of course everyone prefers a cross wind... I just think it's mildly idiotic to call with the wind in your face...

I call a hundred or more every year in TX. 57 so far this year... Guess how many came from upwind....2. Wait until the wind is blowing into that bottom, and be ready to take a decent length shot, say 200-300. I do predator control by my lonesome on some BIG ranches... Folks look at me like I crazy calling with the wind at my back, but they scratch their head when I show them how well the day went.

You are also seriously limiting the range of your call when the wind is in your face... Turn on your ecall, stand 50 yards up and down wind. Multiply that by say 25 and that's what they hear.

I bathe in scent killer before hunts and leave my calling clothes outside 24/7/365.... Kill lots of them with #4 buck straight down wind that as Garth would say never hit the brakes and were shifting gears.... Of course, lots of them don't know what a human smells like....

calling in the wind is an all together different subject, after 50 kills or so and several hundred rounds at the range out to 300 yards I felt comfortable calling in a 15 to 20 mph wind at my back, the sound will travel for miles and if you wait long enough sooner or later that one dog will come to check it out gun) hahaha

thanks for the input guys will try the tips ya'll shared with me as soon as i get the chance to... i really appreciate it thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.