6mm Remington set up for coyote

I have a 6mm on a custom Mauser action, with a cooper barrel, used to load 100gr and 75gr bullets for it for deer, but just did load development with the 58gr vmax which my buddy has had good performance with on yotes out of his .243. so far grouping really good, just need to put some fur down with it

I'm heading in a similar direction. I've got some 55gr Noslers coming in the mail today, for my 243. I'll only be using it for predators and varmints. I want something super fast, and super flat from 100 to 500 yards. If I can get them to group well, I think they should be the ticket at almost 4000 fps. :D Can't wait to see what they do on a coyote!

my buddy has dropped 4 with it so far and no exits, other than a head shot, very fur friendly...so far

I'm heading in a similar direction. I've got some 55gr Noslers coming in the mail today, for my 243. I'll only be using it for predators and varmints. I want something super fast, and super flat from 100 to 500 yards. If I can get them to group well, I think they should be the ticket at almost 4000 fps. :D Can't wait to see what they do on a coyote!

How does your rifle shoot? Because that's a pretty good set-up already. The 6mm gives great barrel life vs performance (thanks to the long neck), and 22" is pretty close to ideal for that purpose.

I wouldn't worry about truing that action, pay a very good smith to cut a very good chamber in a very good barrel and screw it to your action. Plenty of 700s that have simply been rebarreled shoot just as well as customs costing 4x as much. The bulk of the accuracy as it pertains to hunting rifles is in the chamber and tube, and the stock and proper bedding makes up the lion's share of the remainder.

If your Remington is old enough, you may have a 1 in 12 twist. Call them with the serial number and they can tell you. It helps make choosing the bullets and powder. I shoot a 1 in 12 and have for years, these days they make the 6mm with a 1 in 9 twist to shoot heavier bullets. The 6mm Remington and the Winchester .243 are almost identical twins in all ways.
Hornady make a 65 v max that I load with 44 grains of Varget. The also make an 87 grain that shoots great with 37.8 Varget. Remember, that's in my gun only. Those are my coyote loads. Just like the guys were saying above, when Remington changed from the .244 and went to the 6mm. they changed the twist to 1in 9 as was the .243 Win. . Both great varmint and deer guns.

The fast heavy 22's, 6's and 6.5's are the way to go for coyotes.
They are the best of both worlds, high bc projectiles, and high velocites.
Im shooting the 105grn berger hunting vld with excellent results.
Xdeano

The gun is a typical 700 sporter 22" barrel that I want re-barreled, walks are not far from logging roads and its pretty much open up to around 300 yards. I've had this gun for 25 years and it was never a shooter so to speak. 1.5-2.0 at 100 and 3.0 at 200. Yes I've hunted coyote before but in thick brush from a tree stand and a shot gun many years ago. The coyotes on our lease have over ran the deer, but I'm going to fix that I hope. I'm retired and need to due something when I'm not Duck or Deer Hunting. I was hoping someone could tell me if a 22" varmint contour barrel would be good enough.
I would tune up the rifle you have now before re-barreling..

1. Check to make sure the mag box is not binding between the action and the bottom of the stock if it is a ADL or the floorplate frame if it is a BDL..
2. Check your scope base, and rings to make sure they are not loose..
You only need about 15-18 inch pound on the scope rings..
3. Test your scope for tracking and holding zero..
4. The rifle may need bedding but try the above before doing that..
5. Loads:
>You didn't say whether you reload or use factory ammo..
>If you don't reload then I would sell your rifle and buy a .243 as you have more choices in bullet wt., I would think..

Your 6mm should shoot less than MOA easily if tuned and fed properly..

You also didn't say if you were planning on selling the fur..
If you are planning on selling the fur I would go with a 22-250, or .223..
.223 if you are using factory ammo or 22-250 if you reload..

As far as buying or building a rifle for coyote hunting I would go with buying an inexpensive Savage or Ruger Amer. Rifle in a .223, 22-250, or .243..
They should deliver sub MOA accuracy easily if you know how to tune loads and the rifle itself if it needs it..
Take the money you save over a build and put it into a scope and ammo, then practice..
I bought several RAR just last spring and fall to include a .223 and .243 and they both shoot 5 shot MOA groups at 100 constantly..
The only tuning I had to do was to make sure the stock was free floated and I changed out the trigger spring for a lighter one giving close to a 2# trigger..

I have a 700 BDL in 6mm Rem. With the 22 inch barrel. First have you had the trigger adjusted & bedded the rifle ? That is all I had done to mine and with two different loads both Sierra's. 85gr BTHP & Hornady 100gr BTSP at 300 Yds it groups under 2.25 inch.
My Son shot a Antelope at just under 400 yds & it dropped as fast a any big game animal I have ever seen. I would have no problems shooting to 500-600 yds with this rifle.
Clean your rifle have the trigger & bedding done & I think you will be suprised.

I had a similar problem with an inexpensive Model 700 sporter in 243 Win with a 22" barrel. Shot factory ammo terribly. Slightly reduced hand loads worked wonders. Found that with max loads in such a light barrel, recoil was inconsistent. 3/4 lbs of steel glued into the hollow forend of the stock will get it through the winter.

I had a similar opportunity with an old 700 varmiter in 6mm I picked up. I added a Lilja 1:9, #5 fluted barrel finished at 26" and taken out to 6mm Imp. Added a Pendleton Composites stock with a Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20x50. It's a little heavier than a sporter but is great for coyotes. Most of my hunting has lots of walking and the weight isn't an issue to me. I have a light 223 and custom 22-250 of which I grab for the 6 most when I go out. It seems to buck the wind much better and can reach out to the shy coyotes when they hang up. I shoot 105 HPBT with mostly minimal fur damage. 30% of the time I will have a hole to sew up. It's claimed a couple this season over 500 yards and one at 619. Great rifle and a good choice for coyotes. Only draw back is the dies are more expensive.

I think I'm going 22" Shilen barrel and timiney trigger in a Bell &Carlson stock. I like the splat factor with the 70 grain Kings.

What twist? do you reload? have you shot very many coyotes? do you call them in?? What scope??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.